• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Visa requirements

Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan : Exemption of Visas

(1) Nationals of Countries and Areas with Visa Exemption Arrangements with Japan

As of April 2010, Japan had taken measures concerning the waiver of visa requirements with 61 countries and regions, as shown in the accompanying table. (click above link for table)

Nationals of these countries and regions are not required to obtain a visa to enter Japan when the purpose of their visit is commerce, a conference, tourism, visit to relatives/acquaintances, etc.

However, only in cases in which the foreign national engages in paid activities in Japan, and in cases in which the period of stay of the foreign national exceeds the period of stay stipulated in each arrangement, it is necessary to obtain a visa.​
Can someone confirm from actual experience that the above is true? Let's take for example these three categories: U.S. citizen, U.S. permanent resident with Canadian citizenship, Canadian citizen. Can those categories travel to Japan as tourist with no Visa? If so, what I.D. is required? Are passports mandatory? Or are passports optional as long as other government-issued I.D. is carried?

not to sidestep your question but the main concearn for all of you should be what you need to come back to the US, and that would be a passport.

Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan : Exemption of Visas

Can someone confirm from actual experience that the above is true? Let's take for example these three categories: U.S. citizen, U.S. permanent resident with Canadian citizenship, Canadian citizen. Can those categories travel to Japan as tourist with no Visa? If so, what I.D. is required? Are passports mandatory? Or are passports optional as long as other government-issued I.D. is carried?

Japan is very lenient for tourists. No issues with myself (American Citizen) and my wife ( U.S. permanent resident with Canadian citizenship) when we visited last for the purpose of tourism. As doc mentioned, make sure you don't forget all the requirements coming back to the USA! My wife forgot something and we were stuck in LA for several hours before the straightened everything out.

Back