• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

WannagoFast Event in Ocala Jan 24-25 1/2 mile races

I went. Kinda OK, drifting a bit bit boring after a while but the guys doing crazy stunts on bikes were pretty wild. Car show was mostly Japanese hatches etc. Drag racing was pretty cool, especially the 911 turbo doing a consistent 102mph on the 1/8th.

Just as I was leaving there was a dragster that crashed after the finish line, ambulances called etc. No idea what happened though and nothing on the website.

Overall, OK, will go again but why label it a Paul Walker tribute? NO sign at all of anything related to that, charity etc but may have missed it.

boca rat,
Are you going on Sunday the 25th? If so wanna cruise down together?
Let me know. shoot me a text or something. 904-226-2958
Daniel

Last edited:
Daniel, not sure which day I am going yet. Pretty sure Dave and Dave are going, and Skip from Sarasota. All 3 have SC cars so will be interesting if they run.

I am not sure yet what day I am going or if I do both.

Guys when are you all going and what times?

Todd Tim and I will be driving our NSXs down from Atlanta. I believe Todd and I are running Lovefab Tuned NSXs on Saturday but we will be there both days.

Daniel

I am pretty doubtful for Sunday - family stuff I didn;t know about s have to be back in JAX by 1pm or so. I might still do it though

So who wants to make the run over Saturday morning or so, stay for however long, then hit the Daytona 24? I did that last year and the transition from day to night racing is pretty wild. If you haven't been, I strongly recommend it. Nice thing it, easy parking compared to Nascar, come and go when you like. And you have the choice of cheaper outfield tix, or more expensive infield.

Who is actually racing Saturday? I am just a spectator in my lowly stock NA2...

I might do both days, we shall see.

What trap times are you expecting Skip over the 1/2 mile with your CTSC?

What trap times are you expecting Skip over the 1/2 mile with your CTSC?

Not a clue, I'm hoping for 145. I'll probably have one of the slowest cars there.

I'd like to enlist someone to do some video for me using my camera. I had a local kid lined up to come along, but I think he's flaking on me.

I'll be there just to watch. Will bring the nsx. Hope to see you guys there on Sunday.
Any suggestions as this is my first time attending?

I haven't been to one of these things, either, but I can guess how it'll go.

This is the airport - http://goo.gl/maps/wwrDB

It's 7500 feet long and we're only racing 1/2 mile, so much of it won't be used. It's 200+ feet wide at its widest, so there's plenty of room for 2 cars to race side by side and leave a return lane down one side. My guess is we'll use the south end for the pits and spectators will line perhaps both sides. I would bring a pair of binoculars, if possible.

There will need to be area for trailers and tents/campers plus the half dozen food vendors and whatever other commercial stuff shows up.

Hopefully racers will be able to leave the pits and join the spectators and then return. They've got 125 cars running each day, but I can't imagine all of us will be wanting to line up at once.

As I said before, I'd like a volunteer to take a video of my car making at least one run. I've got a nice 35mm with a good long lens and a tripod and want someone to zoom the lens as the car recedes down the track (or unzoom it as the car approaches if you're at the end of the track). My car is a daily driver and I'm traveling 150 miles to the event, so not destroying it is going to be fairly important to me which means no burnouts or hard hard launches. I'm told we can start from either a dig or a roll, so that ought to ease the stress a bit.

Anyway, I'm getting excited! I'm stuck in Connecticut all week, so it'll be double nice to get back to the land of warm and green. :) See y'all there!

BTW, I'm pretty sure the house about half way up the track on the right side is John Travolta's place. Check it out, must be rough... http://goo.gl/maps/DvfHU

Last edited:
Guys who are going Saturday - please post conditions if you can. Rain is supposed to stop around 10am out there so I was planning on heading over for lunch. Hopefully track will be drying out by then but would be good to know before I leave if it's cancelled.

Cheers and good luck when you run!

No NetViper.....I was somewhat disappointed, but ARFNSX and I held things down the best we could. I ran agains a GTO and Z06.

So what speeds did you hit Skip? Sorry I didn't make it Sunday, Saturday was a long day and got home at midnight after a couple of near misses on the road.....:eek:(

The best I managed was 134. I had hoped for more, but it was so much fun that I can't really complain. 1/2 mile seems like an awkward distance because I was right at the top of 4th gear. On one run I tried shifting to 5th early, but that hurt rather than helped. The track was pretty slick, you can see in the video where I lose grip approaching the redline in 1st, but I don't think that affected my trap speeds very much.

Here's a short video, 2 views of the same run. I did discover that my speedometer is WAY off at higher speeds. 120 on the speedo was 134 on the track timer.

https://vimeo.com/117756111

Pictures here.

http://techquarium.com/gallery2z/v/jumbolair2015/

It was great meeting everyone. Also, it was gratifying to have so many strangers approach and ask about my car or just tell me how much they liked the NSX. This car gets love far out of proportion to its performance capabilities.

Last edited:
Skip did the blue Underground Lambo run again? The phrase 'Like a bullet from a gun" keeps springing to mind. I looked up some times and a Veyron is doing 190mph at the 1/2. The Lambo did 235mph I think.....

Some pics, including Travolta's place in the distance with his Qantas liveried jet. A great time, only spoiled by 40% of the cars being Vettes....

Last edited:
Was it a chrome blue wrap? I think I saw one. I spent much of my time waiting in line to run. My wife took most of the pictures.

There was a red 2000 HP Lambo that lost traction at mid-track and spun into a rainwater retention basin.
DSC_5918.jpg

Water running out of ever seam on the truck back!
DSC_5920.jpg

A Hellcat, but the run I saw was only in the 140s. Don't know if he had that bad traction problems or couldn't drive or broke the car or what. It was quite a letdown.
DSC_5923.jpg

Not sure what this is, but it sure is pretty. Very, very low car. I didn't get to see it run.
DSC_5926.jpg

Staging lane, finally made it to the front.
DSC_5933.jpg

I got a chuckle out of this one.
DSC_5976.jpg

Travolta appears to have out of town company this weekend.
DSC_6000.jpg

As we were packing to leave, I snapped this pic of yet another 2000 HP Lambo.
DSC_6004.jpg

And a few seconds later he spun past the finish line at 225 MPH and ended up off the track. Hard to see, but he's the smudge in the middle of this pic. Someone said he lost a tire right before the finish line. Before we left the driver was reported to be okay.
DSC_6005.jpg

There were a lot of unusual and cool cars there, but really it was 25% Corvettes, 25% Mustangs, 25% Cadillac Vs and 25% everything else. :)

Last edited:
Nice to meet you Skippy. Was a great day. The GTR's definetly were the kings. There were 7 of them that were able to reach the 200 mph mark. I have some pics and videos i will get up tomorrow.

No NetViper.....I was somewhat disappointed, but ARFNSX and I held things down the best we could. I ran agains a GTO and Z06.
Sorry man, I had a work emergency the registration day and it sold out. Next time. Glad to see you kicked ass though.

- - - Updated - - -

Skippy, what transmission are you running? Seems like you shifted at Red line in 1st at around 40. Seems way off.

Last edited:
Daniel, Saturday was definitely Lambos ruling the roost although the GTRs were up around the 200 mark. Sorry I couldn't make it back, too tired after a long and late dinner and an eventful drive home....Hope to make C&C in a couple of weeks though.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry man, I had a work emergency the registration day and it sold out. Next time. Glad to see you kicked ass though.

- - - Updated - - -

Skippy, what transmission are you running? Seems like you shifted at Red line in 1st at around 40. Seems way off.

Skip if you are right about your speedo, maybe that explains it. I don't know gear ratios and speeds but 40mph at redline seems very low low in 1st as Dave says. Maybe get your speedo checked out or use a GPS? Does happen, happened to me way back in a Mk2 Golf. Judge still upheld the speeding ticket though...

Stock 5 speed with 1995 gears as far as I know.

I just reviewed some older dash cam videos and it's clear the speedo is reading low across the whole range. I've see in prior vids that I'm shifting at about 42 and 75 where in this video I'm shifting at about 39 and 66 indicated. I first noticed my GPS a couple months ago nagging me about speeding at 80 when the speedo said less than 75.

I'll get it to my mechanic and let him check it out. Hopefully it's not a $1,000 bill to repair.

Skip you must be running over sized wheel/tires in back, that would account for speeds being off.
We saw the red Lambo #333 run off the track, at about the half way point. Why would they let him run without the rear spoiler and diffuser, that's just crazy. He just didn't have any rear grip at higher speeds.

I have stock wheels and 245/40R-17 Dunlop Direzza DZ101 tires on the back.

That red Lambo, I had seen him returning from his previous run with the whole back end flapping in the breeze. :)

Stock 5 speed with 1995 gears as far as I know.

I just reviewed some older dash cam videos and it's clear the speedo is reading low across the whole range. I've see in prior vids that I'm shifting at about 42 and 75 where in this video I'm shifting at about 39 and 66 indicated. I first noticed my GPS a couple months ago nagging me about speeding at 80 when the speedo said less than 75.

I'll get it to my mechanic and let him check it out. Hopefully it's not a $1,000 bill to repair.

Looking at the wiki, 1st is 45 MPH, second roughly 80, 3rd 116, 4th 144. Something certainly isn't right.

Back