Want to be a Fighter Pilot for a day?

Who in Southern California is interested in trying this!???
I did this a while ago and have been wanting to go back.

If does seem pricey but the experience of a lifetime and worth
every penny. A HUGE rush.

No experience necessary.
1 hour ground school to explain the characteristics of the plane, the
maneuvers you’ll be making, and dog fighting tactics. Then, time for
take-off. You’ll be with an instructor, who will take off / land for you
and keep you out of trouble, but otherwise it all up to you.

You can review the video later to see all the things you were too
overwhelmed to catch while you were flying.

6 dog fight missions - About the 4th one you’ll be wiped out.
Planes are capable of 10g’s, but trust me, you won’t come close to that.

They offer only a small discount for group rates:
6 or more $100 off if you fly Mon. - Fri.
$50.00 off for weekend flights.

You can check out there web site here:Air Combat USA

For those of you not in So Cal. they do have a National Flight Schedule section where you can check out other locations for flights.

Attachments

• 2planes2.jpg
    2planes2.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 361
  • kill.jpg
    kill.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 357
  • plane_chase.jpg
    plane_chase.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 332
  • sm_vert_plane2.jpg
    sm_vert_plane2.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 341
Is this the same group that had some people die in an crash maybe 3 or so years ago? I remember reading about an accident relative to one of these deals.

NSX-Stalker

NSX-Stalker said:
Is this the same group that had some people die in an crash maybe 3 or so years ago? I remember reading about an accident relative to one of these deals.
NSX-Stalker

Wow! Buzzkill. :frown: Quickest way to kill a thread.
To answer you question. No.
Air combat USA is the original civilian Air Combat company. Started in 1988, they have NEVER had an injury, lost a plane nor any deaths. I spoke with them on this very subject. They did talk about a few copycat businesses who have had fatalities, and she was even able to tell me where and when. Those businesses are currently shut down by the FAA BTW. I would encourage anyone to call them - they are really nice and have been very helpful in answering any questions.

I’m sure accidental death will be in the back of anyone head if they were considering this. So, look at the odds all you fast driving NSX owners:

(Taken from http://www.anesi.com/accdeath.htm web site)
If you’re like most people, you are more afraid of an airplane crash or gun accident than an auto accident, or accidental fall.

In fact, auto accidents and falls kill 25 times more people in the U.S. each year than airplane crashes and firearms accidents. Indeed, accidental drowning alone kills far more people than airplane crashes and firearms accidents combined.

So, why do people grossly overestimate the danger of trivial risks, while ignoring the danger of greater ones?

Psychology gives an answer: the “availability error”. Airplane crashes are far more dramatic than auto accidents, and remain more accessible in a person’s memory. Similarly, an accidental gun death, especially if a child is involved, is far more dramatic than a falling, choking, or drowning death -- and so also remains more accessible in a person’s memory.

This problem is compounded by the news media, which (1) perseverates over dramatic events, regardless of how inconsequential they may be to the reader or viewer, and (2) never puts anything in perspective.

The net result of all this is that public policy is distracted in bizarre and useless directions. Instead of cautioning Americans to watch their weight, quit smoking, wear seatbelts and life jackets, and take care when using ladders, we have endless grandstanding over safety measures like trigger locks on handguns, radon amelioration, and photocells on garage door openers. These are nice ideas, but require much effort and expense for trivial results. Better to spend the effort where it will have a detectable effect.

Attachments

• accdeath.gif
    accdeath.gif
    17.9 KB · Views: 271
The force of mortality from flying is much greater than you are trying to make it out to be and I'm not saying that everyone would be better off driving than flying.

It's like skydiving. There aren't many deaths but there would be more with current safety and what not if everyone did ten jumps a day.

Anyways, the event sounds really cool. Maybe I'll get a bunch of friends together for it.

Casper91 said:
Wow! Buzzkill. :frown: Quickest way to kill a thread.

Damn!! When I read that I cracked up!!!!

Anyway, Im in if we get a nice group together...Im saving my pennies now!!!

W said:
The force of mortality from flying is much greater than you are trying to make it out to be and I'm not saying that everyone would be better off driving than flying.
Force of mortality... I'm not sure I understand your meaning.
Does that mean if things go horribly wrong while flying you are less likely to walk away from it? Say compared to driving?

W said:
It's like skydiving. There aren't many deaths but there would be more with current safety and what not if everyone did ten jumps a day.
I think you are saying that with increased frequency comes increased risk.
I agree. But we are going just once for now, so the odds are much higher that you will slip in the bathtub than be hurt on this adventure. If you do speak with this company you will see how seriously they take safety.

Casper91 said:
Force of mortality... I'm not sure I understand your meaning.
Does that mean if things go horribly wrong while flying you are less likely to walk away from it? Say compared to driving?

I think you are saying that with increased frequency comes increased risk.
I agree. But we are going just once for now, so the odds are much higher that you will slip in the bathtub than be hurt on this adventure. If you do speak with this company you will see how seriously they take safety.

Force of mortality is like how hard someone is trying to push you off a cliff. As you said, the more risk you expose yourself to, the stronger the force (or likelihood of an incident).

The dogfighting sounds awesome. I will give it some serious thought.

Thanks!

W said:
Force of mortality is like how hard someone is trying to push you off a cliff. As you said, the more risk you expose yourself to, the stronger the force (or likelihood of an incident).
The dogfighting sounds awesome. I will give it some serious thought.
Thanks!
Thanks for the explanation. I'm not sure I agree with the force of mortality with regards to this venture. You are using planes that are designed for such manuvers, flying with mostly retired fighter pilots from the military, and you have the controls - they coach you on what do, it's up to you to do it. It's not as easy as it sounds. 5-6g's does hurt. Overall the risk has been reduced to a minimum.

Call me up when they have F22's, SR-71 Blackbirds, MIG29s, or something that goes above Mach 20(other than the Blackbird).

:-)

SolidSnake3035 said:
Call me up when they have F22's, SR-71 Blackbirds, MIG29s, or something that goes above Mach 20(other than the Blackbird).

:-)

I hope you meant Mach 2, because none of the planes you mention can go anywhere near Mach 20.

As for dogfighting, there's no reason to be Mach 2, anyway. In a close-in visual fight, most jet fighters perform (turn) best in the 250-400 knot range. At supersonic speeds, the turn radius is so huge that you'd be giving up a lot of turning room to your adversary and a competent pilot would shoot you down real quick.

Now, if you just want to go fast, then there are companies who will fly you over to Russia and you can go supersonic in a Mig-25 or Mig-29 and fly loops to music. There's nothing to tell you that you've gone above mach 1 other than looking at the altimeter jump as the shockwave passes the static ports on the outside of the jet. I suppose it's cool the be able to tell everyone you've been above the sound barrier, but that's about it. To me, that's not near as big of a thrill as turning canopy-to-canopy with another plane in an aerial dogfight.

No the mach 20 thing was an "other" type thing. As in, either those or something that goes above Mach 20, and um, what are you going by for the blackbird? Civilian info?

Miss those days when my roomates and I did our own "dog fighting" on F-152's errrrr I meant Cessna-152's :biggrin:

Kenji they are $995 a day

Casper do they actually allow you to be PIC (Pilot in Command) which means you have full control of the stick, rudder and throttle :confused:

After watching the demo video and listening to Kenny Logins and the music of Harrold Faltermeyer, I am SOLD :biggrin:
count me in :cool:

SolidSnake3035 said:
...what are you going by for the blackbird? Civilian info?
I believe NASA has an SR-71 in service for atmospheric studies.
FYI Speed 3.5+ Mach admitted
F-22 1.8 Mach, 1.5 Mach cruising speed (which is pretty remarkable)
I did read about a scram jet test which hit Mach 7 for a short time several months ago.
Mach 20? Strap yourself to a rocket???

spartan2-3 said:
Casper do they actually allow you to be PIC (Pilot in Command) which means you have full control of the stick, rudder and throttle
They will have full control on takeoff and landing. If you have some flying experience then, yes you will have command over everything except throttle - but if you were very experienced - they may give you that too once you have their trust after several sessions. They take people's claim of experience with a large grain of salt. Most people think they are better than they really are.

If you are a rookie like me, then they keep control of the rudder - I'm overhelmed enough with the stick, keeping my eye on the opponent and trying to handle hi g's. :smile:

Viper Driver said:
To me, that's not near as big of a thrill as turning canopy-to-canopy with another plane in an aerial dogfight.

Your job is clearly much cooler than mine! :frown:

Back