• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What can I expect to get for $50k

Hey guys. It has been a while since I have posted (got into a few arguments in the Z vs NSX forum:biggrin:), but I have been doing research all around the cite for more than a yr now and have finally decided to sell my widebody 350z show car and take the plundge and buy myself an NSX.

I am a little excited. Finally!

I will need all of your help when it sells. Depending on how much I get, I would love to get a 2002+. optomistically I hope to get $40+ for my Z and I am willing to throw another $10k in the mix.

What should I expect to get for $50k? Or should I go for a older model and build?

Thanks

For 50K you should be able to get a 99-01 with decent miles.

Or, you could get a clean 94 for say 33K and the lovefab turbo and have a 500HP nsx.

Not to get off topic but do you really expect to recoupe what you spend in Mods for your car ? On that note best of luck with the sale and I hope the Nsx is all you dreamed it would be.

NetViper said:
For 50K you should be able to get a 99-01 with decent miles.

Or, you could get a clean 94 for say 33K and the lovefab turbo and have a 500HP nsx.

Is there any need to worry about a frame that is 12yrs old? Do the yrs hurt the frame at all?

Acura NsX Pilot -- I have over $50k in mods on my Z. KBB for my Z (15k miles) is $26k. I optomistically hope to get $40+ for my Z. If I get $40k, I would be loossing ~$35k+. So no, I don't expect to recoupe what I spent in Mods, but can u imagine if it was that easy :cool:

Thanks

black350zwidebody said:
Is there any need to worry about a frame that is 12yrs old? Do the yrs hurt the frame at all?

As long as the car itself has not been in any accidents causing the frame to be reworked there is absolutely NO nee to worry about the frame.

The chassis of the NSX was designed not only to be extremely stiff and strong but also to last a very long time.
If I remember correctly, it was designed for a lifespan of 30 years.

Retired NSX's have not retired because of faults of their own but usually because of mistakes by their owners or people around them.

Your not going to get close to $40,000+ for your Z. Trust me, I had a very modified S2000 (was in a couple major magazines, websites, etc) with about $40,000 to $50,000 in mods over the 5 years of ownership and I ended up selling it with 60% to 70% of those mods for $27,000. It was an 01 with 68,000 miles on it. You will be lucky to get $32,000 with everything, unless you find another enthusiast that is willing to spend that kinda of money on a Z.

Good luck though.

black350zwidebody said:

Acura NsX Pilot -- I have over $50k in mods on my Z. KBB for my Z (15k miles) is $26k. I optomistically hope to get $40+ for my Z. If I get $40k, I would be loossing ~$35k+. So no, I don't expect to recoupe what I spent in Mods, but can u imagine if it was that easy :cool:

Thanks

MvM said:
As long as the car itself has not been in any accidents causing the frame to be reworked there is absolutely NO nee to worry about the frame.

The chassis of the NSX was designed not only to be extremely stiff and strong but also to last a very long time.
If I remember correctly, it was designed for a lifespan of 30 years.

Retired NSX's have not retired because of faults of their own but usually because of mistakes by their owners or people around them.

Thanks for the frame info.

So what are the reasons to opt for a later model NSX, if I could find, say, a 92 with under 30k miles?

EndlessNSX -- I appreciate your comments but I would imagine the 68k miles on your s2000 played a bigger role than you imagine. My z only has 15k miles on it. kbb for a stock Z my yr wih my mile is $26k. So I will just have to take my chances.

Thanks

black350zwidebody said:
Thanks for the frame info.

So what are the reasons to opt for a later model NSX, if I could find, say, a 92 with under 30k miles?

EndlessNSX -- I appreciate your comments but I would imagine the 68k miles on your s2000 played a bigger role than you imagine. My z only has 15k miles on it. kbb for a stock Z my yr wih my mile is $26k. So I will just have to take my chances.

Thanks

Read the FAQ - has a lot of good info. And you can search this forum for more information. They go over the different model years and changes, year by year.

And 350Z's are dime a dozen. Maybe you'll find some kid with more money than brains who will buy your car.

I just saw an 02 with 13K for $57K. Sounds like you might need to up the loan, wait another year (if the car doesn't appreciate), or buy an 00/01.

Great luck.

Also, I wouldn't shy away from 1993 models on. Basically same car with a little less HP. If you are going to mod it anyway, really won't matter.

I'd probably look for one around $35K and drop $15K into it.

Don't forget about the big question of whether to go coupe or T. If the open air is your thing, '95+ is the way to go. If you want a slightly lighter and more rigid car, '91-'94 is more suited for you. '95-'96 are sort of considered the black sheep of NSXs because they are the heavier T versions without the bigger motor and 6-speed that was added/changed in '97. That really shouldn't turn you off to them though, they are still amazing cars and if you're performance modding it then it really doesn't matter. I think it was also '95 that they changed the computer (OBDII), from what I understand it is easier to do engine management on the earlier (OBDI) systems... though maybe somebody else will chime in to help in that department.

You picked a great time to get into an NSX. Prices are very low and you can build one amazing early model car with $50K!

As for 350Zs, you won't have any problem selling it... just getting top dollar. Kids love those cars! I drive by PV high school here in AZ everyday and I see probably 20 of them in the parking lot. Getting your money out of it... now that is a different story. It's really difficult to sell a car for more then KBB (NSX excluded). Mods will add value for the right buyer though, so you can just wait it out if you're patient. I'd put in the time and bring it back to stock then sell the parts and car separately.

Good luck either way, and I'll be happy to welcome you to the forums when you find your NSX!

BTW, can we see some pics of your Z?? :smile:

Back