• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

what do you guys think of this?

"In the service industry, taking pride in what you do is one of the most surefire routes to success. At Curry's Auto Service we stand behind every job we do, from the smallest oil change to the most complex engine rebuild. Every job is important. We know that our success in this industry is a result of that level of integrity and excellence. "

This is cut and pasted from the website of the place I went for recent BBSC install. Unfortunately, i found no evidence of this statement having any validity. This is what happened:

I have a 99T and purchased the BBSC and spoke with a rep from Currys before taking to them for the installation. Took it in a Tuesday, and was told approximate 10 hour job and that they were capable and confident of this installation.

Later on that week (fri) i am told that the unit does not fit, and of some wiring issues, and was told to contact the dealer to find resolution. I did this. The dealer sent the new part and a wiring diagram to them. I was then made aware of some other issues they were having was once again told to contact the dealer. I am no mechanic and found it very difficult to relay issues requiring some kind of technical expertise over the phone to the dealer.

Finally, The next week, I get a phone call saying to come pick the car up. I jump into my rides car like Bo Duke in his glory days eagerly anticipating the feel of boost on an already fast car. When I get there, They are putting the final touches on the car. "Wait a little while" The anxiety is killing me but being oh so close, "hey, no problem" is what comes out of my mouth.

The tech comes out and informs me of the situation. "Ok everything is on and working. You are running rich, but the car crusies fine, just dont step on it, cause it cuts off around 7500 rpm" I am told that if i want this fixed, i should contact the dealer. So i called and left messages, but the dealer is a few hours behind an no one was available. After leaving some messages, I got tired of waiting just wanted to go drive home. So I asked them wrap it up. I asked them for dyno sheets and other info that would help in diagnosing any problems when i spoke to the dealer. I was not given these "we dont have a complete dyno" was the reason, and asked to pay before my keys were handed over. I looked around in a stupor of unbelief, and saw in large frame "Complete customer satisfaction is our goal" After a few moments of feeling like a ransomed victim, I decided to pay and get my keys and car home instead of making big deal out of it. As I was leaving i was told"your car cruises fine, just dont step on it". Just what a person who just got a supercharger wants to hear. Check Engine lights came on all the way home, and a went from feeling little kid at Christmas to a rape victim.

I apologize for the winded post; however, felt the need to share my experience. I am non confrontational, and in these types of situations, I simply do not patronzie after a bad experience. After speaking to the dealer I was made aware of many other things that would validate even more complaints which I will not post here. I am just in disbelief about how the service I received was the polar opposite of what is claimed. If they base their success on what they say they do, they must not want it.

I dont know much about the BBSC, but I do frequent the FI&NOS forum and have noticed that they still seem to be having "slight issues" with the setup. I dont know the situation at the shop you visited, but as a shop owner, may I suggest that you make sure that it is not the products fault for some of your troubles and not the service center. Too often do the installers take the blame for things out of their control. I have yet to see anyone have the BBSC installed and work out of the box perfectly. I think it just one of those systems that has to be tuned for each car and its specific setup. If you havent already, give Mark a call, or visit the BBSC website for some insight(I think they have a special forum for owners to trouble shoot their cars). Hope this helps.

Thanks for your comments sndsoul. I have spoken to Mark and am aware of the "issues" you are reffering to. Would you as shop owner if someone brought in a part, ask the car owner to call the manufacturer/dealer and troubleshoot? Im not trying to be confrontational, just looking for objective answers.

donwon said:
Thanks for your comments sndsoul. I have spoken to Mark and am aware of the "issues" you are reffering to. Would you as shop owner if someone brought in a part, ask the car owner to call the manufacturer/dealer and troubleshoot? Im not trying to be confrontational, just looking for objective answers.

No, I think it is more beneficial for my techs to talk to the manufacturer directly. That way there's no translation needed. Being that the shop says they are service driven, express some your concerns to them, ask them to contact Mark, find a solution and give them a chance to get your car running correctly(if you feel confidendent in their work still). They should have no squables about standing by their work. Good luck.

Are you running the latest software with the BBSC?

I would be pretty upset if I were you. Not only at the dealership, but with the BBSC. Who wants a car that "cruises alright", but they are basically saying if you get on it, you are going to be in trouble. That is scary. There are a lot of dead engines out there because of FI issues.

I would be VERY careful driving the car until the issue is solved.

I am concerned that you just got the BBSC (which makes me think it is the newest software(SS stuff) and you are having this trouble.

Just curious

The Curry that you refer to, are they located up here in NY? If it's the one I'm referring to, their reputation stinks. They don't sell the NSX, so I don't think that they'd have the experience to install the BBSC, or even do regular maintenance. Greenwich Acura is the largest in this area, and does have experience both in servicing, and installing the BBSC. However, if you came up here from MD. why wouldn't you let Bernie install it, you don't stop hearing enough good stuff about his work, I've met him, he certainly seems nice enough, and knowledgeable, and has done many installations on the NSX. Maybe you should contact him and see if you can get him to fix the install, might cost you some more $$, but rather than bringing it back to an incompetent shop, you might be better off:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

RPM217:

Nope this Currys has 2 locations in VA. I actually spoke to bernie, before the install, and he said he has done alot of the comptechs, but has yet to do the bbsc. Also tried lots of others closer to me than AZ.

Netviper:

Yup latest software.

donwon said:
Not exactly plug and play, It is mounted behind the passenger seat.
Well I would suggest that if it is NOT the plug and play type SS box, get one from MB quickly. How long have you had the sytem? I assume you bought it used. If so, where was the original install done the first time? It sounds like you have an older type box that needs to be updated.

I was under the impression that the 'newest' box IS a plug and play. That is what the web site clearly states. I had one of the original designs that had the box hard wired into the system.:eek: Yeah, that meant the cutting wires out of the factory harness, something I was NOT told about. I don't know how many others weren't told either.
You just bought this thing brand new and it is giving you problems??? I would figure that the 'manufacturer' would be doing everything possible to get it working properly so they could keep a customer happy. Maybe I'm wrong????:confused:
Has MB given any support on resolving the issues?

So they didn't dyno it right? Fear of.....???

Do you know what the a/f ratio is?

MB has given me as much support as possible in trying to solve this issue. He has spent numerous hours on the phone with me trying to diagnose this problem.

As for why no dyno. your guess is as good as mine. There are other reasons that lead me to believe that the installer is at fault rather than MB, i would prefer not to post here, PM me if you want details.

I have no idea what the A/F or even dyno is.

No Wires Cut

I had one of the original designs that had the box hard wired into the system. Yeah, that meant the cutting wires out of the factory harness.

You are wrong. Wires are not cut out of the harness. The factory wires remain in place, the SS's wires are spliced into the OEM wires with electrical conectors. When this SS is removed, the SS's wires - not the OEM wires - are simply snipped off. Please be correct when making statements such as the above.

I don't know how many others weren't told either.

It does not matter.....see above.

I would figure that the 'manufacturer' would be doing everything possible to get it working properly so they could keep a customer happy. Maybe I'm wrong????

Or perhaps your are only speculating.

To anyone that is about to flame me for "picking" on 92NSX, I am doing nothing more than correcting his mistake, as well as suggesting that he is guessing what dialog is or is not taking place between MB and donwon.

I thought he was on your ignore list Andy?? At least you were not too much of an a$$. ;)

Anyway... I think in this case getting the most correct info is important. I am still shocked that the two most recent installs are not working correctly.

Andy,
You are correct about clarifying the point of the OEM harnes wires not being cut out. I think he understood what I meant when I stated
that meant the cutting wires out of the factory harness, so
But of course if anybody has to correct me it would be you.

I don't know how many others weren't told either
I DOES matter. Maybe an owner would like to know if the wires of their car are being spliced into and the integrity of the original harness is being compromised. I guess you don't but others may.
I'm not saying that I know the dialogue ongoing between he and MB but I can DAMN sure relate to what he is talking about and going thru on all accounts. Can you??? If not then BUT OUT!!!!!!!!! Until you have your engine blow up because of the system(BBSC), you need to not worry about what I tell other people and do my best to help them.
I thought he was on your ignore list Andy??
Obviously he has nothing better to do than track every little post I make and find some small error to correct me on.
BTW, I took you(Andy) off my 'Ignore List' because occasionally you do have something intelligent to say to somebody other than myself that I can learn from.

uh...it's 'BUTT out'...sorry....I wanted to try correcting somebody too...um...I'll be going now

donwon said:
I wish someone could "correct" my car.
LMAO.
Not trying to laugh at your problems, but that was pretty darn funny. Perfect timing too.:D
I sincerely hope MB will help you get this issue 'corrected' in a timely manner and you will be happy with the end result.
Back on topic.
Since all the 'big dogs' are at NSXPO it might be a few days or longer before you can get some better direction.:(

Any way you figure it, this has not been handled well, especially given the possible consequences. What worries me most is that no responsible tech would have let that car leave under it’s own power. If it runs rich enough to keep throwing codes then at a minimum it is eating the expensive O2 sensors and catalytic converters alive. At worst it is washing down the cylinders and causing accelerated wear of them and the rings. Telling you not to run it hard is missing the point because even at a cruise you may be doing serious damage. Just plain irresponsible, and assuming the facts we’ve been presented are accurate then I see no need to qualify the statement with “IMO”. The other possibility is that they are just incompetent.

As for why no dyno printout, that’s the one thing to their credit. Load pulls with it in that condition are begging for disaster.

92 nope i just bought it new
Well according to this web site, it should be plug and play if bought brand new.
http://www.baschboost.com/system_description/
The BBSC piggyback computer is supplied with a NSX specific wire harness that allows an easy plug-and-play installation which requires no splicing or cutting of wires.
Directly from the site. Hopefully you didn't get an older version by mistake.:(
As for why no dyno printout, that’s the one thing to their credit
sjs,
you are right about that.

I called MB prior to set up because i read a post about the updated ss box. I also spoke to the person who i bought the sc from and both assured me that the ss box was indeed the new one. This is how i knew to install it behind the seat as opposed to the trunk. Turns out though, they still had to splice and cut the wires anyways saying that i was sent a pre 97 wire harness. I have written instructions from MB on which wires to connect to what wires, outside of the instructions that came with the bbsc that they asked me to get for them. So now im questioning whether or not i do have the new box. Any other way to tell?

And as far the dyno goes.. all they told me was "you are running 310".

With all that's been said, I think a response from us is required in order to set the record straight.

1. To begin with, we did not order the SC kit -- Don brought it to us to install. Furthermore, the kit was delivered to us incomplete. Missing were a mounting pin for the driveshaft bracket and the correct instructions for the Split Second Box (it came with the wrong wiring schematic).

2. During the week Don's NSX was in the shop, we had an ongoing dialogue with the SC manufacturer about the missing parts/instructions, and about the air/fuel mixture. In short, the car was running too rich. The air/fuel ratio was 10:1 until it reached 7500rpm, at which time it would jump to 15:1 and cut off. As a result, we did not conduct full throttle pulls on our dyno for fear it could harm the engine.

3. When Don wanted to retrieve his car, he was told that although it could be driven, we did not recommend it until after the manufacturer corrected the problem and sent us the right parts. We then encouraged Don bring the car back for us if he receives any updated parts/information from the manufacturer. (The manufacturer later admitted to us that the kit Don received either had the wrong program for the SSB and/or had been shipped with the wrong size pulley. Thus the reason his NSX was running rich.)

While we do install customer-supplied parts, we do not recommend, encourage or advertise this for the reasons demonstrated above; i.e., parts may be missing, quality control, wrong parts, etc. We spent many more hours involved in this project than we charged Don. It was only after MANY attempts of trying to contact the manufacturer that we asked Don to intervene to see if he could get the info we needed.

With the foregoing said, we don't thinks its fair for him to bash us on a public forum for circumstances that were beyond our control is not right.

Regards,

CurrysAuto said:

With the foregoing said, we don't thinks its fair for him to bash us on a public forum for circumstances that were beyond our control is not right.

I don't think you have been bashed (no pun intended). Sounds like Don was simply worked-up toward the anticipation of what he believed would be a no hassle installation and the resulting fun it would provide. Unfortunately it didn't work out that way because of the missing parts, rich condition, whatever. Sounds like you spent quite a bit of time trying to make it right, where the tools to do so were out of your reach. Let's hope Don can get things wrapped-up and get on the road with a BBSC that is 100% right.

Back