• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What do you or would you drive for family?

What do or would you drive for a family car/truck? I have a pretty tricked out Chevy Avalanche and my wife drives a 06 Honda van....thinking about a change or addition. Have three kids and usually a extra friend or two. Been eyeballing a hummer h2, Ford Taurus SHO, Pontiac Grx, Hyundai Genesis, even a conversion van.....Any opinions......:cool:

my wife likes the sequoia platinum edition, with lost of kids and stuff it has the room.

I drive an RL, wife drives a Pilot, we're replacing the Pilot with an Odyssey. Killer deal right now on an Odyssey lease.

I always drove Hondas when my kids were growing up. Had an '82 Prelude before kids, then an '87 Accord 4-door with first kid, then a '91 Accord wagon, with second kid and a German Sherpherd, then a '98 Odyssey van. Never had any problems with my Hondas. My kids are all grown now though so I wanted something more fun, i.e. faster, to replace the Odyssey (4 cylinder).

I have an '08 Toyota RAV4, V6 and 4WD, now, because the Hondas were all too slow for my need for speed. :biggrin:

Nissan X-trail (not sold in the US)
Like a CRV but better equipped and a Toyota Tacoma pickup

We have a Honda Pilot- I love driving my parents MDX and this was our affordable alternative. I have found that I am just as impressed with our Pilot. We had a little off-road adventure in it last summer when our Garmin calculated an alternate route to my folks place and directed us into a state park and onto a dirt road that eventually deteriorated into a deeply rutted goat path (this is the best description I can give, there was a 3ft wide 2-3ft deep rut right down the middle of the path) and the big Honda was surprisingly competent.

The third row seat has come in handy a few times too, but don't try to haul anything if you have the third row up. Cargo capacity is diminished to virtually nil. This is why I am looking to get an overhead cargo "rocket box" for the roof rack.

P

We just picked up 2011 Honda pilot. Great car with lots of room for 8 people. I was surprised all the room in the front and second row. Third row not too bad for kids. I've been averaging 22-23 mpg combined.

We only have one small child, so for short trips with the fam, we generally take the wife's Lexus ES330. For any long trip we take the 08 Toyota Highlander. Despite all the bad press, i've never had a single problem with the Highlander. 35k miles and runs like new. Good luck on your search! Jay

H1 Alpha edition.

Hey Brent,
You should be like Leonard Davis' wife up in Prosper, Tx. She drives a Ford F-650 for a daily ;)

Edit: oops, I read the title wrong. Thought we were suggesting cars for you Brent

2006 Volvo XC90. My wife wanted a great, safe, and comfortable SUV and plus we got it for $9k!!!

In the future and with an expanding family and off to the lake every weekend, etc. I'm pushing for a larger SUV. Something with a 3rd row that can haul kiddies, bikes, and luggage however, I'm inclined to go with a Honda Pilot and throw on the Thule Box and rear bike carrier.

Wife's choice though...:tongue:

I have been driving my FIL's Ridgeline and it's so strange going from the SC Tundra to something that gets better than 10mpg. :biggrin:

We got slammed with snow and I am aiting for the snow tires for my truck and Renees SUV. I hate winter!

My plan would be to get a Jeep Commander or a Cadillac CTS-V

They are kinda boxy and would compliment the look of the NSX

We have a Honda Pilot- I love driving my parents MDX and this was our affordable alternative. I have found that I am just as impressed with our Pilot. We had a little off-road adventure in it last summer when our Garmin calculated an alternate route to my folks place and directed us into a state park and onto a dirt road that eventually deteriorated into a deeply rutted goat path (this is the best description I can give, there was a 3ft wide 2-3ft deep rut right down the middle of the path) and the big Honda was surprisingly competent.

The third row seat has come in handy a few times too, but don't try to haul anything if you have the third row up. Cargo capacity is diminished to virtually nil. This is why I am looking to get an overhead cargo "rocket box" for the roof rack.

P

Same story here, except for the goat trail part. Love my Pilot!

The turbocharged Audi A3 Quattro wagon has all our family needs in one package.

1. Wife: smaller than previous SUV so easier to park, heated seats, bluetooth handsfree.

2. Dog: nice play area with rear seats folded forward and cargo net to keep him back there, good glass area to bark at other dogs, rear sunroof for naps in the sun.

3. Self: fast ..... nice turbo with excellent acceleration, programmed chip, sport shift mode with paddles, quattro great in snow, 100k bumper-to-bumper, good mileage.

Must point out ........ even though the car is fun to drive, it was purchased for Clay. :biggrin::biggrin:

My DD is an 08 MDX. I preferred the looks of my 01 MDX but wanted the SH-AWD. I'm a single parent with two active teenagers; it is a great vehicle for hauling kids and their gear.

I feel blessed to have two apex predators in my garage,

Matt

A NSX! I would put my kids in the trunk j/k. I heard that a NSX has "a car seat area". Is this true? I always joke around with my girlfriend about it. I swear I read about this somewhere. I guess its in between the two seats? I would have to buy somekind of super small car seat if so. Also, have a very small child.

need for AWD in N. Texas?

Personally speaking, I'm in awe of the new(er) Acura MDX [2nd gen' 2007+ models]. Lots of cabin space, great storage, good seating for 8, and many high-tech' features/equipment. Not to mention it's hella' fun to drive, considering it's an S.U.V.! Also, the styling isn't as polarizing as other current/late-model Acura vehicles.

If I had the need for an "S.U.V. -meets- C.U.V. -meets- minivan -meets- wagon" type of vehicle, I believe the current Toyota Highlander is truly difficult to beat for it's combo' of reliability/dependability, comfort/space, refinement/ergonomics, performance/safety, V6 & fuel-economy, 7-person seating, and price-point.

If interior-space/storage-capacity are paramount, than a late-model minivan (Odyssey, Sienna, etc) or full-size S.U.V. (Toyota Sequoia, Nissan Armada / Infiniti QX-56, etc) are perhaps the best bet.

Otherwise, I love the look of Hummer H2's :)D). Though, the fuel-economy would likely give me convulsions (and make me long for a C.N.G. or diesel conversion).

Last edited:
Hummer H1 Open Top...

Seriously: BMW X5 4.8i. It's much faster than it seems and is totally reliable. Good used ones start around $35-40k so let somebody else take the hit!

'05 Cayenne TT-S work truck for me
'05 VW Phaeton for mama
Both AWD, both air ride suspension for raise/lower when needed, both built like tanks, both KILLED by depreciation before purchase used. 1/3 cost on both off retail and both still under CPO warranties.
Phaeton has more rear seat room than A8L (for the kiddies), trunk big enough for ten bodies, hand built, INCREDIBLE innovative car. As incredible in it's class as the NSX is in its.
Flame suit on...

Back