• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is APPLE planning?

Yesterday I had my first hiccup with Maps, couldn't find the address. In their defense, it is a rather new neighborhood. Google wasn't without error though. it was taking me the long way around, not taking me the new and shorter route. Other than that, i'm still happy with the new Maps. :)

Motion X has tried to lead me down nonexistent roads and gets mixed up in other ways occasionally. I don't have much experience with other systems, but doubt that any of them are perfect.

Anyone who doesn't realize that is a moron. It was just a map, but a very good map.

I think most people who didnt have iPhones and even some people who did (such as my father who has a 4) were not aware of this. I think the media has blown it way out of proportion. The two apps are quite frankly in different categories and probably should have been named two different things. Apple should have named the new one the Nav app to differentiate it.

It apple had just layer a navigation app over google maps, I am sure people would have been happy.

The new mapping system in iOS6 uses vector mapping which is much more efficient and less data intensive than the old static map data in iOS5. That allows you to cache a larger area of maps and continue navigating even if the phone loses the wireless signal. The old app would only cache a 10 mi radius of map data.

Here's an article that explains the difference:
http://appleinsider.com/articles/12...support-automatic-offline-use-for-a-wide-area

The 3d maps is awesome, but its just a toy.

Agreed. Advertising gimmick.

Eric Schmidt Would Love to Be CEO of Apple, Doesn’t Take Microsoft Seriously and Is W

original.jpg

In an interview with AllThingsD, Eric Schmidt answered a fun question from the audience: If he had to be CEO again, would he choose Apple, Amazon or Facebook? Schmidt chose Apple. He also dissed Microsoft and keeps mentioning Facebook's billion users.

His first answer to the CEO question was a very smooth political sidestepping of the question:

I was on Apple board, and I'll always have a soft spot for them. I was very good friends and very close to Steve Jobs, and we miss him dearly. Jeff Bezos has made remarkable moves. And again, Facebook has a billion users.

But when pressed he admitted that he would go with Apple because it had the most cash. Completely and totally reasonable! In the rest of the interview—which is definitely worth a read—Schmidt took some shots at Microsoft, saying Microsoft Surface would "mean a lot if the product works" and that Apple "should have kept [Google] maps" and that self-driving cars are a lot of fun.

Schmidt is also keenly aware of Facebook's billion users as he mentions it multiple times though he's also deeply proud of how successful Android has been, saying that there are "four times more Android phones than Apple phones. 500 million phones already in use. Doing 1.3 million activations a day. We'll be at 1 billion mobile devices in a year." Hot damn that's a lot. Read the whole interview at AllThingsD. [AllThingsD]

What a rat. Google needs to boot this guy.

At the Verizon Store listening to some guy spout off to random customers that the Samsung tablets have better processors than the iPad. He also claimed the GS3 had a better processor than the iPhone 5 & that was why Apple sued Samsung. Not a big enough facepalm for this dude.

pretty much sums it up about some of the complaints/ers :biggrin:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/widget/widget.html?vid=1420759" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Are GS3s assembled in factories that employ policies approaching slave labor and use substandard materials like iPhone 5s?

I'm pretty sure just about anything electronic is assembled the same way.

iPad Mini?

original.jpg

Looks like it may start at $249...

original.jpg

If this is indeed true... how do you think the Nexus 7 tablet and Kindle Fire HD will fare?

Why wouldn't they let you exchange a flawed device?? I would be pissed.

Their excuse was that it was in high demand so they won't do swaps. Bunch of BS basically.

After a lot of the run-around, I learned this about Best Buy Mobile:

1. Each location's manager sets the rules, so you won't get the same experience everywhere. You can't count on Best Buy's official return policy.

2. You cannot return a product you bought from one store to another store in many cases. Again, it depends on the manager.

3. I ran into one manager that blamed me for the damage, saying that unless I opened the box in the store (which I didn't) to show them the damage coming out of the box, they would not accept a return. They cited one clause in the return policy that said something along the lines of: "we do not accept damaged products."

These guys basically only care about the numbers for their store. Each returned/exchanged item loses them money, so they are hesitant to do it. With the constrained supplies of the 5, they are really sticking it to the consumer.

Anyways, I went to the Apple store and they turned me down at first too, saying I had to deal with Best Buy. After some persuasion with the manager, he took it back and gave me a swap.

That swap itself came with a minor scratch on the bottom bezel, but by then I was too tired and just took it. The manager there said they wouldn't exchange that one because the damage was too minor.

This new one also has a yellower screen than my first one, which just isn't as vibrant. I'm thinking it's a different upstream manufacturer.

Oh well, I give up for now. Just enjoying the phone.

My advice is to buy from Apple directly if you can.

Last edited:
My app store stopped working for 3 days. Looking at the apple forums, seems I am not the only one. There was no fix.

Thankfully it started working again last night. Very annoying.

Their excuse was that it was in high demand so they won't do swaps. Bunch of BS basically.

This new one also has a yellower screen than my first one, which just isn't as vibrant. I'm thinking it's a different upstream manufacturer.

Oh well, I give up for now. Just enjoying the phone.

My advice is to buy from Apple directly if you can.

Wow. Sorry to hear about the run-around. Best Buy is just digging themselves deeper and deeper...

As far as the display. I'm surprised to hear that there's such a variance. I did see some variance between my iPhone 4's but based on the reviews of the iPhone 5 it seemed that the display calibration was a much more controlled specification this time around:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6334/iphone-5-screen-performance
http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_2.htm

The iPhone 5 has been putting up some phenomenal results so far.

That being said, I initially thought mine looked a little on the cooler side color temp wise. Of course when comparing between mine, my wifes, and my in-laws they are the same...

I agree that purchasing directly from Apple seems to be the best way to go. I have read that some customers have literally gone through dozens of exchanges for an unscratched one. Perhaps they're starting to crack down on this.

I got an AppleCare+ warranty on mine to reduce the risk of future headaches.

Jobs would be the first to admit he was wrong about many things. He was wrong about selling apps for the iPhone too. Before his death, he changed his mind over 7" tablets. Why? I don't know, but certainly the market landscape has changed. The huge success of the iPad may have been why Apple feels the need to broaden the base.

There must be a ton of parents who own iPads that would love to pick up a less-expensive iPad for their kids. I always thought that in-car applications particularly cry out for a 7" screen - although I doubt that's the kind of huge market Apple is counting on.

PS: It also seems that the iPad mini will be much closer to an 8" size than 7", with 40% more real estate.

-J

Last edited:
Jobs would be the first to admit he was wrong about many things.

-J

I don't know. After reading his biography he doesn't seem to ever admit he does anything wrong except maybe he shouldn't have abandoned his daughter.

That said, I'm sure the iPad mini will be a huge success. I wonder if it will have a "retina display"

I think if Apple can price the lower end iPad mini at the $250 range then it may be a big hit in the education market.

Here's an article that addresses how the iPad mini could be beneficial for education.
http://www.tuaw.com/2012/10/14/why-the-ipad-mini-one-word-textbooks/

Here's some speculation on price:
http://www.readwriteweb.com/mobile/2012/10/the-ipad-minis-killer-feature-price.php

Based on my earlier graphic showing the various iPad Mini model prices on a German website if you factor in the Euro/Dollar exchange and subtract the German 19% VAT then you get an approximate price of US $264 for the low end 8GB WiFi only model.

How this would work with an 5th Gen iPod Touch starting at $299 I'm not sure. The main factor could be that the bottom end 5th Gen iPod Touch has 32 GB memory vs 8GB for the low end iPad Mini...

I guess it's just two different product lines for different purposes and doesn't necessarily need to be a stepwise progression for screen size & price.

At $250 I think it'll put a great deal of pressure on the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HD and may even cannibalize the larger iPad sales. If it instead hits $300 or $350 then it probably wont impact the low end Androids at all.

Last edited:
Live coverage of the iPad Mini announcement.

http://live.theverge.com/apple-ipad-mini-live-blog/

Really annoyed they updated the iPad and called it their 4th generation iPad, definitely not worth it. Just made my 3rd gen iPad a generation older in less than a year. Very unlike Apple.

Wow, Jackie and I agree. I am freaking pissed they just brought out another iPad. Bet there are a ton of pissed off people out there. Even Apple loyalists.

Here's my Apple h8 for y'all:

MacBook Pro 13" w/Retina -- Meh. At that size, all I buy are Airs now -- I'd rather see an Air with Retina.

Mac Mini -- People still buy these?

iMac -- Beautiful design, but as above, I haven't bought a desktop computer in years.

iPad 4 -- Surprised it came out so soon after the iPad 3, but it looks like a solid tablet. Not sure how many Apple can sell; seems like everyone who would want one of these already bought an iPad 3.

iPad Mini -- This would have been an astounding $199 tablet. At $329 to start, forget it. Plus, no retina? With the iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch all running Retina displays, having this at a shockingly low 1024x768 resolution is a slap. at least get it up to 1280 across so it could be called HD. This is sub-HD, and at the tail end of 2012, that's just not acceptable.

Really annoyed they updated the iPad and called it their 4th generation iPad, definitely not worth it. Just made my 3rd gen iPad a generation older in less than a year. Very unlike Apple.

Wow, Jackie and I agree. I am freaking pissed they just brought out another iPad. Bet there are a ton of pissed off people out there. Even Apple loyalists.

Why are you annoyed? You say it's not worth it, so be happy with your purchase. Or were you not satisfied with your purchase when you bought it?

Here's my Apple h8 for y'all:

iPad 4 -- Surprised it came out so soon after the iPad 3, but it looks like a solid tablet. Not sure how many Apple can sell; seems like everyone who would want one of these already bought an iPad 3.

iPad Mini -- This would have been an astounding $199 tablet. At $329 to start, forget it. Plus, no retina? With the iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch all running Retina displays, having this at a shockingly low 1024x768 resolution is a slap. at least get it up to 1280 across so it could be called HD. This is sub-HD, and at the tail end of 2012, that's just not acceptable.

With the iPod Touch starting at $299, I didn't see the mini starting as low as $199. Maybe if they had reduced the Touch's price to $249, I could see the iPad Mini going for as low as $299, but not anything less than that.

As for the resolution, it is the same as the old iPad's, only in a smaller screen. Don't know how close or if it gets close, to retina display.

I'm really inclined to pick one up for an in-dash application, now that it is much smaller. Will have to look at the dimensions and do some measuring in my truck.

As for the resolution, it is the same as the old iPad's, only in a smaller screen. Don't know how close or if it gets close, to retina display.

Not even close -- it's 163 ppi; an iPod 4 is 326 ppi and an iPad 3 is 264 ppi.

For comparison, the Nexus 7 is 1280x800 with 216 ppi.

Having the same resolution as the old iPad is not a selling point, in my opinion.

Last edited:
The iPad is dead. It's killer is the Surface. The Street thinks so too. AAPL has lost 100 points in the last month. It will sink further as those poorly built iPhone 5s start falling apart and Android and Windows 8 phones gain market share.

The iPad is dead. It's killer is the Surface. The Street thinks so too. AAPL has lost 100 points in the last month. It will sink further as those poorly built iPhone 5s start falling apart and Android and Windows 8 phones gain market share.

images

Back