• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

what is the function of this?

Im in the process of replacing my stock side skirts with the downforce stacy side skirts. When I took off the stock side skirts I noticed a plastic housing with a rubber flap that only opens outward. I removed it just to see what was behind it and noticed that a small oval opening to the ground and a long hollow shaft going to the front of the car. Is it safe to replace the plastic housing with a metal mesh? Thanks in advance

I think this cabin pressure relieve valve is a one way valve and is similar to a purge valve on a scuba diving mask (air blows out one way). If you replace it with a metal mesh, you may get an unwanted draft inside the cabin.

Ok, I agree that its a check valve. But with the opening of the side skirt directing air at the check valve it would prevent it from opening. Also it wouldn't need a check valve to release air because of the oval opening to the ground right behind the plastic housing. Im guessing honda put that plastic housing with a rubber flap (that has a plastic grate behind the rubber flap for support) to prevent roadents from building a nest. I just didn't want to remove it and find out that in the summer heat I have hot air blowing in from somewhere in the car.

Ok, Im guessing honda put that plastic housing with a rubber flap (that has a plastic grate behind the rubber flap for support) to prevent roadents from building a nest.

I think there is a thread where someone did find a mouse in their NSX and wondering how the mouse got in.:smile:

FWIW, pretty much every modern car has one of these pressure flaps. Generally they are back in the bumper/trunk part of the car (on a "normal" car that is :D ).

Emergency Exit

should be illuminated with a flashing arrow,,

AC

Back