• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

what rear tires can last about 20k miles on nsx?

I think my GSD3 lasted me about 20K miles if I estimate my daily driving for one year with the NSX. Average around 24K miles a year with the NSX. Great tires btw.

lower your performance expectations...

I have gone through sets of the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 in the OEM 215/40-R17 & 255/40-R17 sizes w/ Type-S/Zanardi suspension. Anticipate 10k miles for rears and 15k-20k for fronts.

That is the upper-limit in terms of tread-wear for the max' performance tires offered for the NSX.

If you wish for longer tread-life and are willing to compromise handling/performance, you can find 'budget' high-performance tires (ie. Kumho, Sumitomo, Toyo, BF Goodrich, Avon, etc'...) which will cost less and last longer. Just do a search here on NSX Prime for further insights.

You can also choose low-performance all-season tires, with a treadwear rating of 400 or higher. However, that will degrade the performance of your NSX in a spectacular fashion.

If you care about getting tires that last 20K miles, then you should sell your NSX and buy some other car (NOT a high-performance sports car) instead.

Since I put a TON of miles on my NSX, what I do is I run summer tires on the front, and high-performance all-seasons on the back. The car handles GREAT. The backend doesn't break loose, and I can kick it around if I want to. The front tires give great turn in response. I couldn't be happier with this setup.

As far as 20,000 miles. Ha. I doubt it. I dont think even all-seasons can make it that long.

Check out the new Yoko "S" Drive tires, great tread wear rating, quiet, good handling , at a reasonable price too, I'm going to try a set next month. (with my stimulate me check)

i am not trying to be a cheap ass on tires. i am not a person who always gonna pay attention on tires. since it's my DD car, i dont really want to change tires frequently. like 8000 miles per set,LOL. if one rear set last 15000 miles,i will be very happy.

You can also choose low-performance all-season tires, with a treadwear rating of 400 or higher. However, that will degrade the performance of your NSX in a spectacular fashion.

i actually used the yokos with 500 treadwear and they were not that terrible (i was 'forced' to do so by 300hp fwd alfa). granted it is not in the league of a track tire but it will not cause you to slide off the road, granted you are not being foolish of course.

I run summer tires on the front, and high-performance all-seasons on the back. The car handles GREAT. The backend doesn't break loose, and I can kick it around if I want to. The front tires give great turn in response. I couldn't be happier with this setup.
That's a really BAD idea, and I don't recommend it. (Neither does the Tire Rack.) The problem with running mismatched tires like that is that it can make the handling very unpredictable (and I doubt that it "handles great"). Different tires, and especially tires with different performance characteristics (like all-seasons vs summer tires) will grip differently in different circumstances. For example, at colder temperatures, you might find that the rears grip as well as the fronts, whereas in warm temperatures, the fronts grip better. You might hit a puddle or a patch of ice and the car suddenly handles totally differently. It's just a very bad idea all around.

Check out the new Yoko "S" Drive tires, great tread wear rating, quiet, good handling , at a reasonable price too, I'm going to try a set next month. (with my stimulate me check)
The S.drive is one of many "budget performance summer tires" on the market, summer tires with okay dry grip, very good grip in rain, and reasonably long treadlife. They are designed for folks who are willing to sacrifice some performance (compared with top-of-the-line tires) in order to save a few bucks on purchase price. If you want the best performance for your NSX, get a top-of-the-line tire like the Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position, etc; tires like the S.drive don't perform as well. And if you do want to get cheaper tires with lower performance, check prices; the Kumho SPT and Fuzion ZRi offer performance virtually identical with the S.drive, at prices that are lower in most sizes.

That's a really BAD idea, and I don't recommend it. ( You might hit a puddle or a patch of ice and the car suddenly handles totally differently. It's just a very bad idea all around.

So your saying if I hit a patch of ice my car is going to handle differently????.....I'll watch out for that ice for now on... :biggrin:

J/K Are you going to make it Saturday? I was looking forward to seeing you on the track.

I think this is an unrealistic goal...I think you'll get maybe 10-12K if you drive like a grandma.

BTW, If you run a super hard compound to try and get better mileage, that one time you take a corner fast the rear end could slide out easier and you could wreck your car instead of saving money on tires.

Get the Goodyears!

So your saying if I hit a patch of ice my car is going to handle differently????.....I'll watch out for that ice for now on... :biggrin:

J/K Are you going to make it Saturday? I was looking forward to seeing you on the track.

I think Ken meant that the tires will REACT differently to different road conditions.

a lot of tire shops wont sell me nitto555 for my new rims because they last forever.
we had a set of nitto555 wrapped on 18/19 sf challenges on the nsx, and after 10k miles, it was still brand new. not exaggerating at all.
treadwear is like 300. horrible noise. poor performance, but it beats paying 500 bucks for new rear tires every 5-6months on a DD NSX.
well if youre lucky enough that the sidewall doesnt develop a bubble then this is the tire you might want to try out.
good luck - dont wreck your nsx.

I'm running with the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3, not becoz I was after mileage but it was my daily at the time and wanted good all round performance.

I've had these on for 12k miles, including a track day, and would estimate I have 45% + tread left

If you're not pushing hard or on track then 20k may be achievable

regards,

Yeah Nitto555 seem to be rather stout tires. Definitely doesn't stick as well as other high performance tires though.

Want max mileage out of any tire? Zero Camber, Zero Toe, keep the traction control on.

Oh and with 19's selection of tires will suffer. 18s are considerably better. 17's are great too and I bet if you just want mileage, you can find some bazillion mile warranty 17 rears somewhere too.

What rim sizes?

I am currently running a set of four Nexen N3000 tires which have more than 30,000 miles on them. They have a speed-rating of "W" (some sizes have a speed rating of "Y") so they are suitable for the NSX, plus they have a wear rating of 340AA for long life. They are performing great in all aspects of tire performance. When they wear out I intend to buy another set.

Attachments

• Nexen N3000 (Small).jpg
    Nexen N3000 (Small).jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 61
  • NexenN3000 (Small).jpg
    NexenN3000 (Small).jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Nexen N3000 tires

Click on the "Tire Specs" tab about halfway down the page. This will open a comprehensive list of tire sizes and specifications.

I also generally hold a favorable view of Kumho tires. Nexen and Kumho are both South Korean manufacturers, and although newer to the US market, Nexen is very comparable to Kumho insofar as to a comparison of tires and companies. The company name Nexen is derived from the words "Next Century", and the company is trying to position themselves as a "Next Century" tire company with ultramodern manufacturing processes.

The claims Nexen makes for the N3000 in particular include...

1. Directional Wide Aqua Groove Design. - This feature of their tread design channels water away from the center of the tire and in my personal experience performs well as intended.
2. Arrow Center Rib Design for High speed Driving Performance. - This feature is intended to provide straight-line stability in high-speeds and performs as designed.
3. Shoulder Design-Up Grade for Cornering Stability - my favorite feature - The tires make a very flat or "square" contact with the road and therefore corner very well with less "rolloff" than more conventional designs. The stronger shoulders seem particularly effective for the NSX in slowing front inside tire wear. At more than 30,000 miles, my front tires are holding up well even though I have not had them cross-mounted, although I am considering cross-mounting to increase their longevity even more.
4. Aggressive Type Lateral Grooves to resist hydroplaning - This is a variation of claims number one and six. The tires perform very well in wet weather.
5. Silica compound maximizes grip on wet roads and increases braking stability by introducing a silica tread compound, maintains smoothness at low temperatures, and enhances adherence with the contact surface. - The tires live up to this claim and perform as designed.
6. Directional Tread Design increases stability at high speeds and prevents formation of water layer on wet roads by employing V-pattern tread type with large open grooves. - A variation of claims number one and four. The tires are very stable at high speeds and perform extremely well in the rain.

The tires are very quiet, especially when first installed. This is another good quality that I particularly like. On my stock wheels I am currently running size 22545(W)R16 in the front (this is absolutely the largest size I would mount on the stock front wheels) and size 25540(W)R17 in the rear. For my next set, I will keep the same size in the front but am considering size 27540(W)R17 for the rear (which is absolutely the largest size I personally would consider for the rear).

W & Y - Speed rated
U.T.Q.G. 340AA

Last edited:
Ugh I have these tires on my car right now because that is what the previous owner has, and I have to say they suck. They may last a long time, but in terms of grip they leave a LOT to be desired.
Nexen N3000 tires

Click on the "Tire Specs" tab about halfway down the page. This will open a comprehensive list of tire sizes and specifications.

I also generally hold a favorable view of Kumho tires. Nexen and Kumho are both South Korean manufacturers, and although newer to the US market, Nexen is very comparable to Kumho insofar as to a comparison of tires and companies. The company name Nexen is derived from the words "Next Century", and the company is trying to position themselves as a "Next Century" tire company with ultramodern manufacturing processes.

The claims Nexen makes for the N3000 in particular include...

1. Directional Wide Aqua Groove Design. - This feature of their tread design channels water away from the center of the tire and in my personal experience performs well as intended.
2. Arrow Center Rib Design for High speed Driving Performance. - This feature is intended to provide straight-line stability in high-speeds and performs as designed.
3. Shoulder Design-Up Grade for Cornering Stability - my favorite feature - The tires make a very flat or "square" contact with the road and therefore corner very well with less "rolloff" than more conventional designs. The stronger shoulders seem particularly effective for the NSX in slowing front inside tire wear. At more than 29,000 miles, my front tires are holding up well even though I have not had them cross-mounted, although I am considering cross-mounting to increase their longevity even more.
4. Aggressive Type Lateral Grooves to resist hydroplaning - This is a variation of claims number one and six. The tires perform very well in wet weather.
5. Silica compound maximizes grip on wet roads and increases braking stability by introducing a silica tread compound, maintains smoothness at low temperatures, and enhances adherence with the contact surface. - The tires live up to this claim and perform as designed.
6. Directional Tread Design increases stability at high speeds and prevents formation of water layer on wet roads by employing V-pattern tread type with large open grooves. - A variation of claims number one and four. The tires are very stable at high speeds and perform extremely well in the rain.

The tires are very quiet, especially when first installed. This is another good quality that I particularly like. On my stock wheels I am currently running size 22545(W)R16 in the front (this is absolutely the largest size I would mount on the stock front wheels) and size 25540(W)R17 in the rear. For my next set, I will keep the same size in the front but am considering size 27540(W)R17 for the rear (which is absolutely the largest size I personally would consider for the rear).

W & Y - Speed rated
U.T.Q.G. 340AA

Ugh I have these tires on my car right now because that is what the previous owner has, and I have to say they suck. They may last a long time, but in terms of grip they leave a LOT to be desired.

They would HAVE to be super hard. Thats the only way to get the mileage out of them. Super Hard = Crappy Grip.

Back