• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What type of battery is this?

The previous owner replaced the battery with a dry cell battery + battery maintainer. A few weeks ago, I noticed the clock on the car starting to show weird times (as if the battery were unplugged), and then about a week ago, the battery was really low and the nsx would not start, and the guage lights were very dim.

Even though I have a battery tender connected to the battery, prior to this I didn't feel the need to plug it in as I was driving the car once a week or two....and despite the clock always showing the wrong time, I didn't have any other issues. But now the battery is completely dead.

I have the battery maintainer plugged in for a few days. It is a Guest .5 Amp maintainer similar to this one:

http://www.boating.com/boat-store/guest-2602-5-amp-battery-maintainer.html

I've got two questions:

1) What type of battery is this? It kind of looks like a motorcyle battery of some kind? This was the closest thing I found on the internet ( http://www.thebatterycellonline.co.nz/webapps/p/87668/206016/513136 )

img2011120100278.jpg

img2011120100276.jpg

2) I've had the battery maintainer plugged in for a few days now, and no sign of any electrical power yet. Is my battery completely toast, or will it just take a long time to recharge at .5 amp?

Any help is welcome.

If it is deeply discharged, dry cell batteries are extremely difficult to recharge.

A 0.5 Amp will definitely not charge it if the voltage is below 11.0 Volts.

You will need at least a 5 Amp or 10 Amp battey charger. You will additionally have to connect your discharged dry cell battery to a healthy fully charged regular battery connected in parallel. Just use a set of jumper cables to connect the regular fully charged battery to the deeply discharged dry cell batter. Connect the 5 Amp (or 10 Amp) battery charger to the fully charged battery. You will need to charge it for about 4 - 5 hours. This is a preferred way to charge a deeply discharged battery for basic end-users.

Finally had the time to take the battery out.

It's a Stinger SPV 35. What's worse, is that the sides of the battery are bulging so I'm going to replace it as a precaution.

Batteries-SPV35-main-image.jpg

After going through the hassle of buying a battery charger, cables, etc. I still need to buy a new battery.

Thanks for your help though.

Back