• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What would cause this ??

Sorry to keep asking questions, but you guys are so knowledgable about these cars and I am not. Anyway the 91 that I looked at in addition to a possible bad clutch had alot of water moisture in the trunk. The carpet was damp, not soaked. Also there was condensation on the inside of the tailights. The trunk seals looked ok. How would this water be coming in ? Is this a sign of a major problem(ie "flood car") or what ?? Thanx in advance. I really love this car, but am not gonna trade my 97 vette for a car that has tons of problems...

I don't want to make any predictions about the car you speak of, but I will tell what has caused condensation inside the trunk in my 91. When I wash the car, I direct the spray into the seems to wash the sudes out of the rain gutters and onto the ground. Afterwards there is some pooling top left and right corner gutters (closest to the engine). If I don't dry these, the water will evaporate and condense in between grilling on the ceiling of trunk.
Another possibility....does the current owner have a car cover? IF I put my cover in my trunk after rain, snow, or even frost...all the moisture winds up condensing on the same place.

I live in rainy Vancouver WA,(Its wet here ALOT) and it is definitely NOT normal for the trunk to be damp. I've washed my car in the rain, snow and occasional sun, sprayed water just about any place you could get it, and have never had my trunk see even a drop of water. Now the tail lense having condensation in it is normal. Or at least common, I've heard of quite a few other NSX'ers complaining about the tail lense moisture. Most of them solve it by drilling some sort of small hole in the lense to let the moisture escape.

I also live in Oregon spray water every you can when washing my car. I never have water in the trunk.

For me unless I knew why the trunk was getting wet I'd be walking from the car. There are plenty of nice NSXs out on the market. Don't become mesmerized with the first one you see.

I had this similar problem. The water was getting in throuth the taillights. The red part of the lens had become slightly separated from the black part where they are glued together. To fix it, I put the light assembly in very hot water to soften the glue that held the parts together and then pulled the parts apart. After cleaning up the glue out of the tracks, and allowing the pieces to dry, I put the parts back together with clear RTV silicone sealant. I also used new gaskets, and the leak was gone. Time consuming, but new taillights are $$$.

I will echo the sentiments of Hejo and Edo about no moisture in the trunk. Living in the NW we see lots of the wet stuff, but none of it ends up in my trunk. My lense covers are also always dry inside, check the lines on that car, especially where the spoiler/decklid edges meets the rest of the car. Damaged NSXs that were repaired poorly will often show gaps/misaligntment in these areas.

Back