• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

wheel size and offset optimization

6D

I've located a set of used Kenesis K28 Forged wheels (285/35/18 rears and 215/35/17 fronts with nearnew rear tires). These are currently mounted on a 91 NSX and show no signs of clearance problems.

What are the performances changes I can expect from this mod?

Is the city ride comfort going to be sacrificed at all compared to the stock 91 NSX confoguration?

How do I determine if they have the correct offset?

What are they worth used (but in real nice shape)?

As always, thanks to everyone for the tech support.

Originally posted by 6D:
What are the performances changes I can expect from this mod?

Less acceleration due to greater diameter and greater rolling resistance. Also expect more pronounced under-steer unless you make suspension changes. And don't forget the unsprung weight issue, more = less in terms of handling and the suspension's ability to respond to bumps. How much do the new wheel/tire combinations weigh?

Is the city ride comfort going to be sacrificed at all compared to the stock 91 NSX configuration?

The lower aspect ratio fronts may be more harsh but you also increase risk of damage to the wheel from large pot holes. (Although the aspect ratio is also lower on the back, the actual sidewall height is probably not as short due to the width.)

How do I determine if they have the correct offset?

See the FAQ.

All that said, I think the bigger question is whether the front-rear diameter ratio is within specs for the TCS to function properly. I suspect not, which may be a clue to why they are for sale. You might want to read more in the FAQ and a recent thread…
http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001880.html

[This message has been edited by sjs (edited 10 May 2001).]

Back