• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Wheel torque for track?

I have stock OEM wheels and A022H tires on a stock 94.
What should my tire pressures and lug nut torque be for the track. Is it the same as for the road? 40 psi rear 33 psi front and 80 ft lbs?

Thanks,

Patrick

I suggest you experiment with some lower pressures a bit at the track. For my car (with stock suspension at the time), 40 lbs in the rear caused noticable understeer. The rear end let loose a lot sooner than it should. I ended up at 30 lbs front and 33 lbs rear WHEN HOT for optimal traction with the yokos. In any case, you'll gain 5-6 lbs of pressure due to heat alone, so to end up at 40 you'll need to start at the mid 30's when cold.

My $.02.

Jeff

Jeff A said:
I suggest you experiment with some lower pressures a bit at the track. For my car (with stock suspension at the time), 40 lbs in the rear caused noticable understeer. The rear end let loose a lot sooner than it should. I ended up at 30 lbs front and 33 lbs rear WHEN HOT for optimal traction with the yokos. In any case, you'll gain 5-6 lbs of pressure due to heat alone, so to end up at 40 you'll need to start at the mid 30's when cold.

My $.02.

Jeff

You say that the rear let loose that sounds like over steer not under steer but maybe I’m not understanding you. I did find that I needed to let a lot of air out of the back. I started at 40 psi cold and after the first session I got up to 52 psi and the max pressure on the tire is 44 psi so next time I think I will start out about 36 psi cold. It was a hot day so I will have to allow for that also.

33 psi in the front got me up to just over the 44 psi max so that seems to be in the ballpark. There was another guy at the track with an NSX who was a very experienced instructor and he said I would need to let some air out of the rear tires.

It’s very interesting that you found that you got max traction at such low pressures. I will have to take it to my local skid pan and see if I can replicate that with my Gtech

Regards,

Patrick

Yes, sorry, you're correct, I meant oversteer. When I first tried tracking my NSX, I had an experienced NSX owner drive it, and he said "whoa - something wrong with your rear tires - not gripping like they should - probably over inflated". Sure enough, with the heat they were up at 44. We brought them down to mid 30's and it fixed it.

Sure, try some different pressures, and see what works best for you.

Jeff

Jeff A said:
Yes, sorry, you're correct, I meant oversteer. When I first tried tracking my NSX, I had an experienced NSX owner drive it, and he said "whoa - something wrong with your rear tires - not gripping like they should - probably over inflated". Sure enough, with the heat they were up at 44. We brought them down to mid 30's and it fixed it.

Sure, try some different pressures, and see what works best for you.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff

Patrick

It’s very interesting that you found that you got max traction at such low pressures. I will have to take it to my local skid pan and see if I can replicate that with my Gtech
Unless your tire is all warmed up and gets sticky, whatever you experienced with skid pad could not duplicate what you could experience on "real Track" ;) JMHO. I usually start montior and tried to keep my tires after it's getting hot around 34 front, 37 rear. (This is when I had stock suspension and Kumho Street tires (MX) 1 time I purposely left the tires cool down overnight... The cold air pressure is only 23 psi at my outside front wheel :biggrin: .

NSXDreamer2 said:
Unless your tire is all warmed up and gets sticky, whatever you experienced with skid pad could not duplicate what you could experience on "real Track" ;) JMHO. I usually start montior and tried to keep my tires after it's getting hot around 34 front, 37 rear. (This is when I had stock suspension and Kumho Street tires (MX) 1 time I purposely left the tires cool down overnight... The cold air pressure is only 23 psi at my outside front wheel :biggrin: .

What! Are you telling me I need a pyrometer now as well?
Damn :smile:

Regards,

Patrick

Back