• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Where are CARB #'s on Comptech headers?

A tech just failed my smog check because he couldn't see the #'s. They must be there but where?

Last edited:
should be welded right on the manifold.

im sure you can get carb papers from comptech.

how did he know you had headers?

did you tell him? :tongue:

A tech just failed my smog check because he couldn't see the #'s. They must be there but where?

There should be a plate welded to the side of your headers that you can see if you look under the car from the driver's side. There should be a part number on it and a CARB Cert. number.

-OR-

Goto the CARB Website for Aftermarket Parts and under "LIST EXECUTIVE ORDERS BY DEVICE", select "Manufacturer" and select "Exhaust System / Exhuast Modification" from the pop-down menu... click the "Search for EOs" button. Then do a page search for "Comptech" (you're looking for Comptech Machine".) Find your applicable PDF File.

-OR-

Just print this one out and take it to your tech...
http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-455.pdf

should be welded right on the manifold.

im sure you can get carb papers from comptech.

how did he know you had headers?

did you tell him? :tongue:
I didn't say anything before the test but this tech actually looked and saw the headers but said he couldn't go under the car because they didn't have a lift.

Thanks Guys! I'll look under the car today from the driver's side.

So my tech makes enough effort to see that there are headers on the car but not enough to find the CARB #'s. It was just where you guys said it was. People are lazy!

ComptechCARB.jpg

The silencer (what you call the exhaust) is not an emission control device and therefore doesn't fall under CARB rules (specifically VC 27156). Having said that you could be pulled over and accused of violating VC 27150 (noise). Technically the officer would have to do a DB test at the time of issuing the citation (which rarely happens), but you are screwed anyway because you now have a citation and need to fight it in court. I assume you live in California?

Last edited:
Both mom and dad have CTSC NSX's with no visible CARB stickers and pass every time it needs smog. Not sure how they get around it or if the smog guys are just cool. Worried about my state referee ticket lol
I don't live in California, but I do have a CTSC and am curious as well. Never know, the next owner might be in California. :wink:

Back