• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

WHere to go - what to see?

I am planning my vacation this summer, appx 17 days. We will be renting a car, no NSX. So far, the route is Nice-Monaco-Modena :)tongue:) - Venezia-Garda (Sirmione)-Vaduz-through CH-Chablis area, F-Paris.

Any suggestions for where to go outside the highways? Pittoresque places to stay over night? What will be the best option driving from Lake Garda to Vaduz which has not too challenging or "airy" passes?

Especially in CH, 3 days driving from bordercrossing Vaduz-to French border in the Neuchatel-area: Any suggestions for a route?

Thanks.

Try to drive some 'airy' passes like Grimsel, Nufenen, Furka or the like. They're dead high and a must. For these try to rent a fast car. :wink: If you like to go dead fancy go to St. Moritz and stay there for a night. It's a high-society resort.

Last edited:
Would love to, but it is not my decision. The car is a C4, build neither for speed nor loads...:frown:

A beautiful place to stay on lake Garda is the Grand Hotel Fasano. It's a bit north of Sirmione on the western bank and I always try to stay there during the Mille Miglia. If you go, make sure you get a room on the lake side of the hotel.

Also, just south of Sirmione in Valeggio sul Mincio there's a restaurant with the best pasta I've ever eaten in my life, by far. The Ristorante Alla Borsa is specialized in homemade tortellini and they're simply out of this world. I book a table there whenever I'm in the area.

Regarding a nice drive, one of the nicest in my memory is from lake Como up to St. Moritz. The drive from lake Garda to lake Como is very forgettable, however.

Last edited:
Thanks, greenberet.
I have virtually "driven" the road from Lake Garda to Lake Como on Google Earth, and I have decided it to be a transport stage using the highway.
The hotel looks fantastic. Not to pricy either.

Any more inputs for where to go in CH and southeast/ east France? We will be driving through the Chablis district and end up in Paris

Road trip completed, and I really missed my NSX...
Picked up a Citroen C4 in Nice. Drove the Riviera incl. two "rounds" at the Monaco GP circuit to Genova area. We met so many fantastic cars on the road; Ferraris, Lambos, Maserati etc.

Then inland towards Milano at a beautiful country road, east to Maranello and a visit at the Ferrari museum and some stores. Ferarri is not the worst car to be in... I also took the chance to study Ferraris ITB setup for the F1, and now I understand why ITB is so expensive.

Then a couple of days in Venezia, and another three in the fantastic cities of Verona and Sirmione at Lake Garda before going to Lugano, CH via Lake Como. Como is nice, but the roads are narrow and traffic is really slow. We also stopped at the Monza circuit, but no driving that day at the raceway.
In CH we drove the San Bernardino pass (2300 mtrs) and stopped in Vaduz, Lichtenstein, one of Europes smallest countries. Then back to CH with stopover in Brunnen (marvellous) and Neuchatel. We followed one leg of the Tour de France route before another three days stopover in Chablis. Fantastic wines!
Our trip ended with two days in Disneyland Paris and one day in Reims, the capitol of champage and the home of one of the best car museums in Europe.

The total trip was appx. 2000 kms, which equals the distance I would have to drive from my hometown to the Danish border... More convinient with a rented C4 than driving my NSX, but I really missed having my own at those amazing roads.

I read Pegis thread, and it would have been nice to have a minimeet.

We ended up for the night in Brunnen due to lack of hotel rooms in the Schwyz area, but what a beautiful city! The view on the lakeside was like a "Postcard". We spent the next day in Peffikorn at the big aqualand.

We drove south of Zurich as I have been in Zurich area twice before. CH has the greenest hills and highest mountains I have ever seen. :biggrin: Next time we will spend more days in CH.

We ended up for the night in Brunnen due to lack of hotel rooms in the Schwyz area, but what a beautiful city! The view on the lakeside was like a "Postcard". We spent the next day in Peffikorn at the big aqualand.

Now you know my favorite drives! :wink:

Too bad, I LIVE in Pfäffikon. :) We've two NSX's here, that's quite a lot for less than 10'000 inhabitants. Have you been staying at the Seedamm Plaza and did you go to the Alpamare? I'm 500 m from there.

Last edited:
hen I was really close, I guess. Alpamare and the jod/salt hot tube did a miracle for my back. It seems like I need a kiropraktor each time I rent a French car..:biggrin:
I'll be sure to have an appointment with you the next time.

Back