• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Which year version of the NSX is better?

Which year version of the NSX is better? I’m looking to purchase one in the next 12 months, just about got the money and financing together. I have wanted and waited to get this car for the last 5 years. The question I have is on the different versions of the cars and which one is all around better value. I know most may say the 3.2 but is it that much better than the 3.0. Also I was informed the 6th gear is just another OD gear like 5th and really the car loses a lot of pulling power so not to worry so much on the 6-speed.

Year
91-94 No power steering, 3.0L engine
95 Power Steering, 3.0L engine, Targa-top
96 Power Steering, 3.0L engine, Targa-top, 6-speed,
97-01 Power Steering, 3.2L engine, Targa-top, 6-speed, 3.2 liter engine

Any information will be helpful

Thanks in advances.:cool:

Which year version of the NSX is better? I’m looking to purchase one in the next 12 months, just about got the money and financing together. I have wanted and waited to get this car for the last 5 years. The question I have is on the different versions of the cars and which one is all around better value. I know most may say the 3.2 but is it that much better than the 3.0. Also I was informed the 6th gear is just another OD gear like 5th and really the car loses a lot of pulling power so not to worry so much on the 6-speed.

Year

The 96 doesn't have 6-speed. Only 97+.

Targa top adds weight so if you want a T go for the 97+. The added HP of the 3.2 makes up for that weight.

More important in selection is the condition and a documented maintenance history.

you should go drive some of them.

if you want to modify it might a 91-94 wouldnt be so bad, if you want a targa to go pick up 12 year olds like nick sitko:tongue: then you might as well go spend 60k+ on a 02-05 model since they are the easiet on the eyes if your going to spend 40-60k on a targa anyways

Also depends on how much you want to spend, makes a big difference. Advise you to drive a coupe vs. targa top to see how they compare in handling and overall driving.

If you get a Targa top, you'll probably enjoy taking the top off at first, but after a while that might that wear off. I've owned T-Tops / Targa tops before, I thought it was just an inconvenience, getting out of the car and taking to top off and on and storing it in the trunk. I also notice a slight flex in the body while making sharper turns and going over bumps. But that's just my opinion.

Power steering is a plus, but I love my manual steering. You really get to feel the road. Also, it reminds me of the old school sport cars. Drawbacks, don't try to parallel park in the city and don't plan on sharp U turns.

Don't decide based on opinions, you really have to test drive all options if possible.

If you were in my area, I would let you test drive my coupe. (No joyrides)

I've owned both a 3.0/5 speed and a 3.2/6 speed. The first one was stock and the current one is stock as well. I prefer the 3.2/6 speed, but that's just my personal preference. Like the other guys mentioned, you should drive both.

I think I've had my targa top once or twice.

Good luck.

1991's are the best year.
-OBD1=alot more modable
-No passenger airbag=less weight
-No Power steering=less weight, sporty raw feel, good bicep,upperbody conditioning:biggrin:
-Coupe body= best platform for race and/or typeR conversion
-Cool faux titanium NSX key=nostalgia:tongue:
-twin plate clutch=less rotating mass which results in better exhaust note and performance
-First year made=collectable relevance

1995 is the best year.

The OP asked what was the best value. I got to agree with Skippy (also - green is the best color:smile: )

If you do not want a Removeable Top then anything newer than 94 is probably not a value you are looking for. I greatly desired a T-Top as I prefer convertible sports cars. The top is off most every time I drive.

If you want the NSX as a daily driver - once again, you might prefer a coupe if the T-Top is a "hassle" for you.

But as for value - the 95 is the lowest price to offer power assist steering, T-Top, rugged 5-speed tranny, and lower cost clutch.

All that being said - I'd sell my NSX to upgrade to a NA2 (2002+). This has nothing to do with value. I just dig the NSX and would like to have a new one.

HOWEVER - I need to take some of the advice previously posted and test drive one. It would be sad to find out I get the same driving experience as that of my 95. I suggest you test drive some NSXes as well if you can get access.

I drove a Friends 93 NSX but that was in 1998. I really keep remember how the car felt and I don't know anyone in the area how owns one now. So I have to ask the group that has more knowledge on the car plus some you have own muiltiply years of the NSX. I currently own a 86' Porsche 944 turbo. It is a blast to drive but cost half a forturne to get on the road. Everything related to a Porsche is unreasonable high. Had Complete engine rebuild, Turbo rebuild, Added a performance chip, upgraded the front and rear sway bars, switch the shocks out for Koni adjustable plus ride-height adjustable coil-over shocks front and rear(took a year to fine the rear, they were out of production). I wanted more power from the car, currently a stock 944 86 Turbo in the US comes with 217hp, but always wanted the NSX which comes with 270hp, great handling, plus a gorgeous body. also a another reason for the NSX is Ease of Maintenace, Annual cost of Maintenance, and Potentieal Maintence repair cost Which to me is very reasonable compaired to the Porsche.:cool:

-OBD1=alot more modable
-No Power steering=less weight, sporty raw feel, good bicep,upperbody conditioning:biggrin:
-twin plate clutch=less rotating mass which results in better exhaust note and performance

How does a twin plate clutch produce a better exhaust note?

For the OP - the 6 speed is different than the 5 speed - it isn't just a taller top gear. Search Prime to learn more but the 5 speed has a relatively tall 2nd gear. Gears 1-5 in the 6 speed are overall closer together and better spaced.

I drove a Friends 93 NSX but that was in 1998. I really keep remember how the car felt and I don't know anyone in the area how owns one now. So I have to ask the group that has more knowledge on the car plus some you have own muiltiply years of the NSX. I currently own a 86' Porsche 944 turbo. It is a blast to drive but cost half a forturne to get on the road. Everything related to a Porsche is unreasonable high. Had Complete engine rebuild, Turbo rebuild, Added a performance chip, upgraded the front and rear sway bars, switch the shocks out for Koni adjustable plus ride-height adjustable coil-over shocks front and rear(took a year to fine the rear, they were out of production). I wanted more power from the car, currently a stock 944 86 Turbo in the US comes with 217hp, but always wanted the NSX which comes with 270hp, great handling, plus a gorgeous body. also a another reason for the NSX is Ease of Maintenace, Annual cost of Maintenance, and Potentieal Maintence repair cost Which to me is very reasonable compaired to the Porsche.:cool:

Welcome to the enlightened side:cool: Pretty much any year NSX is going to be a great choice. They will all feel terrific to drive and odds are will have high reliablity. As for value, the earlier NSX models are pretty much bottomed out in pricing so I think that is where the value is. Some think these cars may even appreciate in the future. I'm on the fence but do think the earlier years will hold value well.

If you are looking for more power (compared to the P car) and do not consider the T-Top a necessary feature, consider the NA1 coupe. From what I read, you will have more options to choose from if you desire more power after some time. The newer models can also be boosted, but you may have to pay a little more.

Good luck in your quest!

Year

I don't think it's really debatable that a 1991 is the best bang-for-buck "value" but there are other reasons for purchasing a different year and why a 1991 might not be the best "value" for you.

For example, if you want a T-top then the 91 is a very poor value. Same goes if you want the six-speed (with different gearing in all gears, not just top gear), power steering or an NSX newer than 17 years old.

If those things don't matter to you and you just want to spend as little as possible and get the most "car" you can the 1991 is the best option.

Personally, I like the manual steering for the natural feel and I don't care about a T-top and prefer the more rigid coupe for the track anyway. I can live with an older car which requires more maintenance and I'm fine with the 5-speed. I also didn't want or need to spend much money on the purchase because I planned on extensively modding the car anyway. For me, the 1991 was indeed the best option.

Now, for a very controversial opinion:

All things being equal I think the best values by year are, in this order, 1991, 1992, 1997, 2002, 1995, 1993, 1994, 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2000, 2001, 1996.

Before I get some grief about this list let me be very clear--this is only a bang-for-the-buck ranking not taking into consideration any particular personal preferences as a stated before. If you want a T then the 1995 is a better value than a 1991, plain and simple. This list is only taking into consideration just "getting into" the car and what you get for your money notwithstanding one's individual, personal preferences--IOW, thinking mathematically, not emotionally.

-OBD1=alot more modable

Also engine bay fan near alternator:biggrin:
Less noise reduction components.
Less OBD stuff.
Tires cost less.

Some who have owned both NA1/NA2 prefer NA1 for its simplicity and mod potential. Not to mention prices for NA1 in good shape hardly dropped in the 6 years.... If put alot miles on NA2 price will drop fast.

Hmm might be better to let us know the max you can afford and then go from there. You said you always wanted a 270hp NSX so that's easily done. Go with a 94 with the lowest miles you can afford. 91-93 are fine ,but always go for the newest you can afford especially since you mentioned financing.

The 3.0 by most posts can match/exceed the 3.2 with intake/headers and exhaust in most cases. Besides you can always start with a 3.0 and then later move on to a 3.2 if your so inclined.

Oh yeah don't let the mod bug get ya:biggrin:

Now that you're confused my all the data out there, you also need to consider color. Can't be to picky on color, due to limited production #'s. I would say Formula Red and the Berlina Black would be the more common to find than others.

ODBII IS JUST AS EASY TO MOD AS ODBI WITH THE INTRODUCTION OF AEM FIC. yes you can match the performance of 3.2 by adding i/h/e to a 3.0, but then again you can do the same thing to 3.2 which will yeld even higher percentage gain than 3.0.
i think it only comes to one thing- targa or coupe. if you like targa then 97+ offers a myriad of improvements and higher performance, brakes, 6speed etc.

93-94 is the best if:
u want the lightest one with no snap ring issues and dual airbags.
u want to modify the engine and relative performance components without that nasty OBD2 to worry about in California.

Early Nsx out of snap ring failure range. Three upgrades on 93/94 models is bigger wheels, A/C, Window regulators.

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Changes_by_Year
-Added cup holder to center console; console cover got two separate openings.
-Added Passenger Side Air Bag -As a result of passenger air bag, drastically reduced size of glove box. Reconfigured center console (gives you the illusion you have more space but not really).
Changed Rear Alignment to 2mm less toe-in to improve tire wear less sporty
Switched A/C system from CFC-based R12 to ozone-friendly R134A

-Dropped Interior Color: Ivory
-Removed "DOHC VTEC badge" on center console cover
1. Changed wheel design from 5-spoke to 7-spoke
2. Gear cut method changed to reduce gear noise

93-94 is the best if:
u want the lightest one with no snap ring issues and dual airbags.
u want to modify the engine and relative performance components without that nasty OBD2 to worry about in California.

As NSXFRIEND noted there are plenty of 91-92 NSXs out of snap ring range. I would venture to guess that most people don't want an airbag in the passenger seat that can't be turned off for a child carseat and that results in more weight and reduced glovebox size. And yes, the OBD-II is not really desirable, particularly in CA.

Also, 93-94 are more expensive than 91-92 which is a drawback in terms of "value."

Looking for the newest car one can afford is a viable strategy but again, how much more "reliable" will a 91-92 be than a 93-94? More money up front, more physical drawbacks with a 93+. It really all depends on what features are important to the OP.

Back