• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Who has a COMPTECH exhaust in SF BayArea?

Joined
23 February 2003
Messages
3,895
Location
San Francisco
Hi guys,
I am about to order a Comptech exhaust but just want to make a final check to see if I can do what I plan to do with it and listen to it one more time. Anyone on here close to me? I live in SF and work in SSF.
Thanks,
Steve
 
Hi Steve
I do and so does Cairo (Michael)
I thought you'd heard mine many times? It's nice mellow sound - not too aggressive but definitely a huge improvement over stock, expecially on the gas!
I heard one at Stockton that maybe had some problems - was much louder and I think the baffles had gone (have heard that's a problem on the early ones). I know of at least one other Bay Area CT that also has this problem.
The later ones are better I believe.

I'm maybe thinking of a change - wanna buy mine? ;)
(I go back & forward on this - I really like it but just something different, you know?)
 
D'Ecosse said:
Hi Steve
I do and so does Cairo (Michael)
I thought you'd heard mine many times? It's nice mellow sound - not too aggressive but definitely a huge improvement over stock, expecially on the gas!
I heard one at Stockton that maybe had some problems - was much louder and I think the baffles had gone (have heard that's a problem on the early ones). I know of at least one other Bay Area CT that also has this problem.
The later ones are better I believe.

I'm maybe thinking of a change - wanna buy mine? ;)
(I go back & forward on this - I really like it but just something different, you know?)
Thanks, Ken and Ken. :biggrin: :biggrin:
I have heard a few Comptechs and they sound different from each other. I like the latest version. Hmmmm, I believe that was the latest version. Not too loud and not to tamed. A few years ago, there were 2 versions, the normal and the supercharger versions. I think now there are the street and the race versions only. What do you guys have? You have the latest version, D'Ecosse? Does Comptech resonate at certain RPM at all?
Thanks.
Steve
 
Steve, I have the older S/C version. It has resonator tips and (supposedly) better internal "stuffeing" for the extra output of the S/C. I'm using it in conjunction with the CT headers.

HTH
 
Hey Steve-
I have their latest version on my cars, real nice 4" round rolled tips, very clean looking welds, nicely polished. Very quiet exhaust with a smooth tone as you cruise around with no discernable drone in the cabin as you drive. When you get heavy with the right foot it comes alive and soind great IMO.

It is exactly what I wanted in an exhaust - it is not loud when I start it so I don't upset my neighbors.

If you want to go for a ride come over one weekend and we can go have coffee. I live in Alamo.

Michael
 
Cairo94507 said:
Hey Steve-
I have their latest version on my cars, real nice 4" round rolled tips, very clean looking welds, nicely polished. Very quiet exhaust with a smooth tone as you cruise around with no discernable drone in the cabin as you drive. When you get heavy with the right foot it comes alive and soind great IMO.

It is exactly what I wanted in an exhaust - it is not loud when I start it so I don't upset my neighbors.

If you want to go for a ride come over one weekend and we can go have coffee. I live in Alamo.

Michael

I got the latest version and i agree with Michael.

Mohammed.
 
Steve,

My NSX is at Don's (Hilltop Auto Service), it will be there for at least a week. I don't know which one I have, I bought the CT exhaust from a member on this board about 4 or 5 months ago. I would venture to guess its an older one.

Mike
 
whiteNSXs said:
Hi guys,
I am about to order a Comptech exhaust but just want to make a final check to see if I can do what I plan to do with it and listen to it one more time. Anyone on here close to me? I live in SF and work in SSF.
Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

FYI, every single one of the Comptech Exhausts will become louder over time. And more so if you have a CTSC like you do on your NSX. Ask Kip or Brian, both of them blew their exhausts on their NSX's.

Ken
 
2slow2speed said:
Hi Steve,

FYI, every single one of the Comptech Exhausts will become louder over time. And more so if you have a CTSC like you do on your NSX. Ask Kip or Brian, both of them blew their exhausts on their NSX's.

Ken
You guys are bunch of good people!!!!! Thanks for all the responses and offers. Now that's a curve ball. "Blew" the exhaust!!!???? What exactly happened when an exhaust is blown? The newer Comptech no longer have a "supercharger" version, so I suppose the new one is good enough for my car? BTW, when you have a chance, I would like to drive by your place to see if my new wheel will clear your Stoptech.
Thanks,
Steve
 
Cairo94507 said:
Hey Steve-
I have their latest version on my cars, real nice 4" round rolled tips, very clean looking welds, nicely polished. Very quiet exhaust with a smooth tone as you cruise around with no discernable drone in the cabin as you drive. When you get heavy with the right foot it comes alive and soind great IMO.

It is exactly what I wanted in an exhaust - it is not loud when I start it so I don't upset my neighbors.

If you want to go for a ride come over one weekend and we can go have coffee. I live in Alamo.

Michael
Absolutely, Mike. Thanks so so much!
Steve
 
D'Ecosse said:
Hi Steve
I do and so does Cairo (Michael)
I thought you'd heard mine many times? It's nice mellow sound - not too aggressive but definitely a huge improvement over stock, expecially on the gas!
I heard one at Stockton that maybe had some problems - was much louder and I think the baffles had gone (have heard that's a problem on the early ones). I know of at least one other Bay Area CT that also has this problem.
The later ones are better I believe.

I'm maybe thinking of a change - wanna buy mine? ;)
(I go back & forward on this - I really like it but just something different, you know?)


Hey Ken,

I wonder if the one you heard at Stockton was mine. I've noticed an annoying rattle coming from inside the muffler at idle. :frown: I know that the few times I had someone rev it up for me while I listened I noticed a raspy rattle coming from the exhaust. I know the exhaust was purchased in '97. I wonder if I got one of the older designs. :confused:

Steve/Mike,

I'm located out in Fairfield and would love to compare my "blown" Comptech exhaust to yours (Mike) if possible. Any excuse to meet up with other NSX owners and chat works for me! :biggrin:
 
I spoke with CT at the Stockton meet about the CT exhaust issue of blowing out the muffler internals. I was told that previously, they didn't use SS for the internals but now they do and no longer have this problem.
 
I've got one, but I don't know which "version" it is. If you haven't already checked one out, you are welcome to see/hear it.
 
Ryan1926 -
I can usually fit in something first thing in the morning on a Saturday - If you are in Fairfield, maybe we can meet in the middle? Maybe Concord or Martinez?

Michael
 
whiteNSXs said:
You guys are bunch of good people!!!!! Thanks for all the responses and offers. Now that's a curve ball. "Blew" the exhaust!!!???? What exactly happened when an exhaust is blown? The newer Comptech no longer have a "supercharger" version, so I suppose the new one is good enough for my car? BTW, when you have a chance, I would like to drive by your place to see if my new wheel will clear your Stoptech.
Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

It looks like some folks have answered your question about what I meant by blown exhaust. (Sound deadening material inside the muffler breaking down over time due to exhaust gases).

BTW: I'm not sure if the new exhausts made by Comptech are any better given that I'm not aware of anyone who has had his/hers for a very long time. Maybe Kip will get to try one of them on his car given that his car is full of Comptech goodies :D

As far as the caliper clearance check, let me know ahead of time, so that either you can drive down or I can drive up with my NSX to your office and we can try test mounting the wheel, I have about 3 sets of spacers, 3mm, 5mm and 7.5mm so that might be useful to give you an idea just in case the wheel does not clear the caliper.

Ken
 
hey doc, i thought u just had the new ARK and spoke highly about it. may i ask why the switch?
 
randomharmony said:
hey doc, i thought u just had the new ARK and spoke highly about it. may i ask why the switch?
The Ark has tailpipes that hang too low for my driveway so I scraped them a few times. I actually want to just change to Magnaflow tips but the ARK pipes are too short to do the switch.
Steve
 
Steve - I should have thought to let you drive mine last week when we met at SF State. My apologies. I think the exhaust is a great balance - not to loud but definitely non stock.

Bob
 
Back
Top