• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Who plans to reskin their NSX?

I really like the looks of the new `02 car and I'm considering doing the nose, lights, and sides while leaving the rear alone. Anyone else considering doing a little freshen up also? Have the prices been released?

I want to do the 02' change to my NSX too
biggrin.gif

Not me.

I really like the new headlights but the front bumper seems a little off - kind of "droopy". I will reserve judgement, though, until I see it in person. I am planning to go to the Chicago Auto Show in Feb. Hopefully, they will have one there.

Matt

------------------
2000 NSX-T #49
Silverstone/Black
9000 miles
No Mods

[This message has been edited by NSXForEver (edited 07 January 2002).]

Originally posted by TOMNSX:
I really like the looks of the new `02 car and I'm considering doing the nose, lights, and sides while leaving the rear alone. Anyone else considering doing a little freshen up also? Have the prices been released?
AFAIK no prices nor availability have been released.

I want to do the rear and leave the front alone... wanna boost a car and divvy it up ?? j/k
smile.gif

I just do not understand!!!! My car is a 93 and will always be a 93. I would not buy a 93 that sorta looked like a 2002. This will only depreciate the value of your car I would think. You don't see high values on old corvettes made to look like new ones. Better yet, how about an old ferrari made to look newer. I don't get it!!

I don't think the intent is necessarily to pass an older car off as a newer one. If someone just likes the looks or the performance of the newer pieces, well then why not? I got a set of the '94+ wheels for my '91. I don't pretend it's a '94+, I just like the looks better that way. Same thing with those who want the new front end; maybe they're doing it because they want the HID lights (which make a huge difference).

I would think that having some of the newer pieces would not degrade the market value of the car - especially if the old parts were retained and included when selling the car. I'm not saying that the seller would receive the extra value he paid for the newer parts, but that the value of the car when sold shouldn't be lower as a result of having some of the newer parts on it... particularly since they are OEM parts.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
I'm not saying that the seller would receive the extra value he paid for the newer parts, but that the value of the car when sold shouldn't be lower as a result of having some of the newer parts on it... particularly since they are OEM parts.
There's the incremental "value drop" in not having original (factory) paintwork, which for some people means something.

maybe they're doing it because they want the HID lights (which make a HUGE difference).
I have aftermarket HIDs on my OE headlamp projector units, and these already IMO make a significant difference over stock.

There's the incremental "value drop" in not having original (factory) paintwork, which for some people means something.

Depending on which parts we're talking about, there may not be any need to paint any of the original body panels. If they're merely replaced (with newly-painted new panels) - IOW, without overspray on the adjoining panels - and the old ones are retained, the car could always be restored to stock with the original paint.

However, the factory paint seals on the panel bolts will be broken. These seals are looked at first by many when inspecting an NSX.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

http://www.NSXClassifieds.com - free NSX classifieds site!

You shouldn't judge a car based only on whether the paint seals are broken; you should judge it based on the quality of the paint work (whether it's original as well as the condition that it's in). Sometimes it's possible for the seals on the bolts to be broken for a reason, while not necessarily indicating body work. This is a perfect example.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
I don't think the intent is necessarily to pass an older car off as a newer one. If someone just likes the looks or the performance of the newer pieces, well then
I would think that having some of the newer pieces would not degrade the market value of the car - especially if the old parts were retained and included when selling the car.

Well put... I'm not trying to pass off anything. Yes some us are the purist who want the car 100% stock. But from what I've seen NSX drivers ARE NOT the Ferrai owner that keeps his car 100% stock in a garage to show it to friends, and only drives it 300mi a year. NSXers like Corvette owners tend to make mods (some tastless) and drive there cars. I think the `02 facelift looks good and upgardes the NSX while stying true to the cars lines. I see no difference in a face lift than someone adding white face gauges to their dash (which I'd also like to do). I have made conservative suspension mods and wheel upgrades and link the nose and lights of the 2002, so yes I would upgrade.

Keep in mind the rules of supply and demand will always exist and since NSX after the early `90s dropped to Ferrari level sales in the U.S. it will always be healthy on the resale side.

I'm going to put some "M3" badging on NSX and some of those cool but lopsided chrome tips from a Caddy STS.

Just kidding of course. Hey, if a guy wants to change the looks of his car, so be it. Half the fun of owning is making it look unique !

Larry

Originally posted by cojones:
Originally posted by TOMNSX:
AFAIK no prices nor availability have been released.

I want to do the rear and leave the front alone... wanna boost a car and divvy it up ?? j/k
smile.gif

I've already explored prices...well, in Canadian dollars anyway:

Rear diffuser:
71511-SLO-000ZZ $1341.54

Left and right sills:
71801-SLO-0100ZZ $1233.00
71851-SLO-0100ZZ $1233.00

Front bumper assembly:
71001-SLO-A90ZZ $2485.62 (BUMPER FACE)
71005-SLO-A01 $104.40
71110-SLO-010 $222.06
71111-SLO-000ZZ $1269.12 (SKIRT?)
71120-SLO-010 $66.90
71125-SLO-010 $66.90
71130-SLO-010 $963.84 (BEAM?)
71170-SLO-020 $291.54

Head light assembly:
33101-SLO-A04 $1773.42
33109-S6M-003 $552.90
33116-SLO-003 $297.66
33151-SLO-A04 $1773.42

Remember, the prices above are quoted in Canadian dollars. Those are not U.S. dollars. One Canadian dollar is currently 62.6 cents U.S. currency. For example, that headlight assembly that's quoted as $1773.42 would be $1,110 in U.S. dollars. Not inexpensive, but not as much as those figures might sound.

I'm surprised no one else has enough time to waste to calculate and post the totals
smile.gif
... C$13675 or US$8560. Add labor and paint and it's still ouch!

Originally posted by peter:
Rear diffuser:
71511-SLO-000ZZ $1341.54
Do you have any info on:
a) availability
b) fitment options on older cars (bolt-on?)

I need to get my (OE) diffuser replaced due to some damage, and was interested in using the new-style rear diffuser if possible

Thanks

Actually, I didn't go into detail with what I wanted when I asked my Acura parts guy. I just asked him the general question on what the various new parts are. He's usually pretty thurough as far as what I need if I want a certain part though. I suspect the muffler might be different, but I think you might be able to get away with using a '96 + muffler.

As far as availability is concerned, he says he can get them anytime.

Originally posted by cojones:
I want to do the rear and leave the front alone...
on closer inspection of the rear end, I believe the rear valance presents more limited exhaust options:
- the space between the center valance and the side spats does not afford sufficient clearance for the popular dual-tip (DTM-style) exhaust tips. The new tip (screw-on 3-1/2 diameter round) fills up the available space.
- the space between the rear bumper cover and the lower "wing" (in black mesh) does not have enough clearance to accomodate the center-exit systems from Taitec

Hmmmmm

The "real" question is how many 2002 owners will want to change back to the older nose and lights?

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

Back