• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why don't NSX owners use alarms.

There is a simple product that locks the clutch and brake pedals together with the steering wheel. This a great thing since you cannot press one without pressing the other. The steel is pretty thick and would be very hard to cut IMO way down under the dash. The only problem with devices like this, is that after a while you get lazy and stop putting them on.

FWIW, it is NOT the device that they will attack - why try to cut something like that when it is so much simpler to cut the steering wheel? Also, steering wheels can be bent towards the floor to release "hook" type devices.

Originally posted by James Cruz:
There is a simple product that locks the clutch and brake pedals together with the steering wheel. This a great thing since you cannot press one without pressing the other. The steel is pretty thick and would be very hard to cut IMO way down under the dash. The only problem with devices like this, is that after a while you get lazy and stop putting them on.

I saw this product on TV and was ready to get it, then I post this on the NSX main board and someone told me it doesn't work as advertised. It was for $69.95 or so I even have the number on my 2000 calendar, of course it is gone now.

Hey...how come no one bothered to answer Craig's earlier question about the Imobilizer differing from the 97+ models. I don't think there is a difference but I can't be sure to give an answer.

lemansnsx,
The device I was talking about just looped around the bottom of the steering wheel so it would not just hang off the pedals. I realize that steering wheels are hollow, and that it takes very little effort to cut through them. However, if you have something connecting the brake and clutch, like a pair of handcuffs with a steel bar instead of links, I think this is not a bad product to consider.

I think this product and a noisey alarm is a pretty good combination.

Originally posted by hejo:
If you've every had a car stolen you'll wish you had an alarm.

How would an alarm helped this situation? The thieves would've just taken it with the alarm blaring.

-Bob ('94 #496)

An alarm would not have helped! Alarms will stop only the most casual car thief. You think that the professional car thief doesn't know more about most alarms than the guys who install them? Ha! Used to be a mark of contempt that a thief would leave the alarm "brain" behind when he took the car. BTW, it has been my personal experience that non-talking proximity detectors do help to keep casual lookie-loos away from the car. Talking ones are just annoying.

Originally posted by Craig:
What exactly is the imobilizer on the 97+'s?

The '97+ immobilizer is like a lot of other modern cars. There is a transponder in the key that communicates with the ignition. If it doesn't send the right code, the ignition will not function.

Alarms, IMO, are just a source of aggravation. After all the falses (Cats, wind, etc.) it becomes a "cry wolf" situation that folks won't even notice.

Lo-jack: my last two cars had them. But after having my bike stolen and found by the Miami cops two weeks later dumped in a river, if someone took my NSX I really don't want to ever see it again.

Even with a generous insurance repair allowance, I'd rather shop for a new NSX than worry about any unapreciated bodywork to an aluminum frame.

IMO, I think car alarms have 2 functions:

1) Eases the mind. Makes the owner feel more comfortable about leaving their car unattended. For a few hundred dollars, it's a steal(no pun intended). You really can't put a price on easing the state of mind.

2) Deter casual thieves who are looking to make a quick buck.

Let's face it. If a car thief "really" wanted your car, they will steal your car no matter what type of anti-theft device you may put on it.

Living in L.A. I couldn't imagine not having at least some form of alarm on the car. But with the NSX, I'm not as concerned about it getting stolen as I am about getting door dings and scratches. Too bad we can't install Star Trek-like deflector shields
wink.gif

The factory keyless system and Lojack gives me just enough piece of mind, but I realize if someone wants the car, they'll take it. Perhaps that's why I can't resist checking on my NSX, which is almost always within view from an office window, throughout the day.

Alarms aside, I don't understand how some high-end car owners can leave their tarrgas/convertibles open in public parking structures. I've seen Ferraris, Porsches, Mercedes, BMWs...just seems like an invitation for a joyride.

------------------
--akira3D ('00 NSX-T red/black #113)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

You know as a cop I would tend to agree that if someone really wanted your car then one will take it by any means necessary. However the lax attitude that most of you have is annoying me...So with that in mind please be so kind to provide me with the exact address your NSX will be parked so I can have some of my roughneck acquaintances go there and pick up your car. I will have it stripped and shipped overseas. I can shed my honest living and earn some real flow; and, you can find yourself a new NSX or whatever you plan on working out with the insurance company. Yeah that sounds like a plan. BTW, much respect to Lud for answering Craig's question.

Blade

Originally posted by Dr.Lane:
. Also, I don't care too much for those loud, flashing alarm systems anyway.

I am with you on that one. I hate anoying alarms going off all the time. I have an after market Viper and use it valet mode most of the time. However, it can be usefull to ward off door dingers. Usually I park in the back 40 and hike to where ever I may be going. There is always a door dinging, white trash, inbred, rug rat kid having, mini-van driver that must park next to my car. When the alarm is on sensitive mode, any tap will set it off and keep the diaper wearing thugs away.

I saw a Yugo with the club on it once....... I broke in and stole the club...... that thing is worth 40 bucks man!!!!

A little off topic, but this reminded me of a joke:
This guy walks into the local auto parts store and walks up to the guy at the counter. He then tells the man that he would like windshield wiper for his Yugo. The man behind the counter considers for a moment and replies, "That sounds like a fair trade."

It's kind of weird that I start a thread on alarms, to wake up today and find that someone broke into my Mazda MX-6 (daily driver). They broke the plastic button (only damage) that attaches the door glass to the track at the back of the drivers side door. This allowed them to pull the glass out and unlock the door. Little to their surprise, the alarm must have gone off and my stereo, 3 amps, woofer, DSP, and 6.5" separates were saved (only thing in car of value). A new button was $4.95 and 5 minutes labor to put it back on.

You NEVER know when or where someone is going to try some shit like this! I got lucky this time.

[This message has been edited by James Cruz (edited 05 February 2001).]

Original Quote: "There is always a door dinging, white trash, inbred, rug rat kid having, mini-van driver that must park next to my car"

I can park a a hundreed yards away from the next vehicle in any lot and almost without exception when I return there is either a SUV, Mini Van or 4x4 in the spot right next to my X without another car for.....97 yards!!!! Why?

Originally posted by Craig:
I can park a a hundreed yards away from the next vehicle in any lot and almost without exception when I return there is either a SUV, Mini Van or 4x4 in the spot right next to my X without another car for.....97 yards!!!! Why?

Simple, they're hoping someone will steal your car and leave theirs alone, as theirs doesn't look as good
smile.gif

Hugo

Does anyone have an immobilizer system that they would recommend for a 91?

Up in Canada the Insurance Council has recommended the

Magtec 6000 and the
PFK Autowatch 329 Ti

Has anyone had experience with these or other systems?

I figure why make it easy, and the pre-97 models seem like sitting ducks with only the alarm.

Rob
91 red

Point is, an alarm saves you hassle and your possesions on the inside( i.e.stereo, etc) from the ordinary street punk going after a few bucks not the car itself. That is the real advantage.

But question: if I wanted to install another alarm in place or in addition to the factory unit, does this require an extradinary amount of harness hacking and would you have to disable the factory unit? What are your experiences with the install process?

Back