• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why was my 2nd ammendment thread deleted in off topic?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi slownsxt,

The following thread that you created has been deleted

-----
Thread: What the 2nd Ammendment is really for
Forum: Off Topic
Reason: read the notice at the top of the off topic section
-----

This is an automated system notification - you cannot reply. If you have questions or concerns about this notification, please post here: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

Regards,
The Forum Management

I did tread lightly and there was a good discussion going on. There were no disrespectful posts and I believe it is helpful to the NSX community.

Can I have it back please?

Thanks,
-Paul

I've been a member a long time, but haven't posted in ages since I sold my NSX a couple years ago. That was pretty lame to delete a proper off-topic thread. I will stop visiting NSXPrime if its against the 2nd ammendment principles.

I've been a member a long time, but haven't posted in ages since I sold my NSX a couple years ago. That was pretty lame to delete a proper off-topic thread. I will stop visiting NSXPrime if its against the 2nd ammendment principles.

And go where to talk to NSX folks? :) If you want to stop supporting it vis a vis advertisements, just disable pics and gifs via IE :wink: I believe it won't pull the data... but you still get the content.

Maybe there can be a anti-NSXPRIME forum, haha. :tongue:

Personally, I'll just restart the thread in a few days as the AWB Obama plan develops.

Is this notice at the top of Off Topic somehow unclear?

Notices

Now that the US elections are over we are taking a break from political discussion in Off Topic. Please do not reply to any old political threads or start new ones until this notice is removed. When this notice is gone and political discussion is allowed again, be sure to observe the "tread lightly on politics and religion" rule for this forum; any heavily partisan posts will be removed.

?

Yet people are jumping to the conclusion that I am anti-gun-rights and talking about ways to make sure the site doesn't manage to pay for itself? Wow.

Is this notice at the top of Off Topic somehow unclear?

?

Yet people are jumping to the conclusion that I am anti-gun-rights and talking about ways to make sure the site doesn't manage to pay for itself? Wow.

Ahh... now I see! Yes, thanks for reminding me of that sign, I missed it :)
Now that it's over, and we can have mostly civil political discussions, could you please remove that one line?

Thanks amigo! :biggrin:

PS:This is still your baby, you can do whatever you want :wink:

I hadn't read the rules in a long time, but thats still a bullshit weak-ass rule. Guys should be allowed to talk about guns all day long. I really hope Lud makes some changes because NSX Prime seems to have gone down hill. I did have a personal rule long ago to stay away from Off-Topic anyway, should have stuck to my old ways.

If you look at my old posts, I was a respected member and even instructed at NSXPO track event a few years back. Minimally, you should move posts to appropriate forums instead of deleting them.

There is no problem with gun talk!

The problem is with political threads. The entire focus of the thread in question was 2nd ammendment issues, and was entirely political.

If you want to talk about guns in and of themselves, knock yourself out, just stay off the political side of gun rights for now.

Again I'm not sure how this is in any way unclear. If someone would help me understand I will try to clarify the notice further... though it appears people don't read it even when specifically asked to, so I'm not sure what to do.

The issue of the right to bear arms was obviously very imprtant when our forefathers adopted the Constitution. It was so important that it was ruled the 2nd Ammendment right after the 1st Ammendment right. That being said, I think that we should be allowed to discuss the 2nd Ammendment as long as the thread stays civilized and educational. However, since this is Lud's site he can choose whether or not our 1st Ammendment right to free speech can be censored or not. :biggrin:

Hi Lud,

Sorry if i'm beating on a dead horse, but isn't "Off Topic" forum supposed to take all the subjects NON-NSX related?? ence the name "Off Topic", being the "Topic" all NSX related threads :confused:

I find a little strange the "Off Topic" to have restricting rules to posting on this or that subject. I understand it has to have rules about bashing and name calling to keep the quality and respect levels high.

And i'm a guy that don't go to the "Off Topic", although i may posted there a couple of times during my membership.

Thanks,
Nuno

PS - Lud, i understand this is your site and you make the rules you see fit, but above all the rules, in my opinion, is the good common sense.

Hi Lud,

Sorry if i'm beating on a dead horse, but isn't "Off Topic" forum supposed to take all the subjects NON-NSX related?? ence the name "Off Topic", being the "Topic" all NSX related threads :confused:

I find a little strange the "Off Topic" to have restricting rules to posting on this or that subject. I understand it has to have rules about bashing and name calling to keep the quality and respect levels high.

The entire reason I suspended political discussion was because, in my opinion, "the quality and respect levels" (I like your phrase there) were not being maintained in political discussions.

I had anticipated removing the ban on political discussion before now, but some recent threads make me suspect I will end up suspending several people shortly after re-instating political discussion because some people do not seem to be able to disagree without being unpleasant & hostile.

I think it would be a shame to remove NSX owners from this online community over their behavior in a political discussion thread, since that has nothing to do with the NSX, and so I have been avoiding it by leaving the "no politics" rule in place.

However, perhaps that is what the site really needs anyway - a purging of some people who always seem to be unpleasant even if technically they are following the rules most of the time. I am not really happy with the tone on the site lately and I suspect there are probably less than 1% of members who are responsible for it. Perhaps we would indeed be better off without them.

Lud,

i understand your point, and i agree with you... as i said, it all would work well if the "quality and respect levels" are kept at a high level.... if not, someone has to do something (you:tongue:)

i also agree on that 1% you talk about.... sometimes when i read here and there, i feel that there is more into it behind the scenes (hates, bad pending history between Primers) .... we are all grown up, and we can make our point without name calling or bashing....

I mean, i have reasons to do some serious bashing on 2 vendors here, and i won't do anything...they don't want my business, so i take it elsewhere.... there is out there someone who ACTUALLY want to make money....

what i want to say with all this big testament is:
if you don't like a guy for whatever reason, don't go to every thread piss him off.... move on with your life
(unless there is some financial damage, like Tamoske and others)

Thanks,
Nuno

I have re-opened Off Topic to political discussion. The old rules of "tread lightly" and finding a way to disagree without being disagreeable remain in effect and will be enforced. Political debate is not the purpose of this site.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1140172&postcount=178

PSS: Let's see how long it takes before this post gets deleted and I get demerited by Lud.

I'm about done taking "digs" from people who have posts deleted for clearly not following the posted rules of the site.

Maybe you should go ahead and set up that "anti-NSXPRIME" forum you mentioned in post #3 and enjoy running things the way you see fit. I'm sure there are some others who don't like the way I run this site who will be happy to join you, and that would probably be the best thing for everyone.

Either way, if you continue taking pot shots at the host you probably won't find yourself welcome at the party much longer.

Either way, if you continue taking pot shots at the host you probably won't find yourself welcome at the party much longer.

Bravo. This has been a very delicate line for Lud to walk and, personally, I am glad that he has stood his ground, whether I agree or not. The rules are very clear and skirting around them is not an enviable trait.

Lud, I have no interest in setting up an "anti-NSXPRIME forum." That was a facetious comment and I personally have nothing but appreciation for nsxprime, your efforts and the community. The "smiley face" following that comment was intended to show that I was facetious, but jokes don't always come across well on forums. Please be assured that I do not harbor any negative feelings or have any intent to cause "harm" to nsxprime.

What I was greatly dissapointed and still am that I received a "demerit" for posting a 2nd ammendment thread. I've never heard of something like that and feel I received it because of my critcism of certain failed ( though not all..) liberal policies and philosophies (eg "guns are bad, rar rar, ignore the plethora of studies that show failed 'gun control policies over and over again' and ban guns for lawful citizens even though criminals will always have guns!! rar rar") Up until no more than a few months ago, I was on this same wave lenght, but when I hear countless stories of rapists and murders breaking into peopl's houses raping and killing families, when every pereson there chose not to spend a few hundred dollars on some plastic and steel to defend themselves, I've changed my mind completely. At the same time, just showing a gun deters thousands of rapes and murders per year.

Anyway, ultimately, it is your forum, and you can do what you please. My gut is that political forums, although heated, do bring traffic to the site and thus revenue for you, so if it was me, I'd be encouraging them :).. but that's just me :)

While I'll do my best not to be inflamatory, I plan to continue to post on political forums my personal opinion with few punches pulled for stupid politicians. I also want to be able to start threads for issues I feel strong about (particularly 2nd ammendment) and not get them deleted.

If that gets me kicked off, well, thanks for the opportunity to be a part of this community, and so bet it but I do not like to give in what feels like intimidation to to speak out.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Lud, I have no interest in setting up an "anti-NSXPRIME forum." That was a facetious comment and I personally have nothing but appreciation for nsxprime, your efforts and the community. The "smiley face" following that comment was intended to show that I was facetious, but jokes don't always come across well on forums. Please be assured that I do not harbor any negative feelings or have any intent to cause "harm" to nsxprime.

Thank you for clearing that up. It upsets me when a long-time NSX owner and member of the site seems pissed off at me for just trying to run the site the best way I can. I am glad to know I was simply misunderstanding the real intention behind your posts.

And you are right, communication often does not come across well on the Internet. See below for a perfect example...

What I was greatly dissapointed and still am that I received a "demerit" for posting a 2nd ammendment thread. I've never heard of something like that and feel I received it because of my critcism of certain failed ( though not all..) liberal policies and philosophies

I'm not sure if you are talking in past or present tense here. If you still feel that way, I am truly puzzled as I thought I had explained it pretty clearly above. Either way, it seems to be human nature.

Here is another perfect example: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113759 (Incidentally, the person who was suspended in that incident was clearly anti-republican.. I must not be doing a very good job of singling one side out for biased treatment.)

Anyway, ultimately, it is your forum, and you can do what you please. My gut is that political forums, although heated, do bring traffic to the site and thus revenue for you, so if it was me, I'd be encouraging them :).. but that's just me :)

My goal is not to increase site traffic. I've done plenty of things to actively reduce traffic and keep the site very NSX-focused instead of expanding it to include more and more topics. Expansion has been almost entirely NSX-related.

Sites with heavy ad content may generate more revenue than expenses with additional traffic, but I am currently running this site in the red and need to upgrade to a more powerful server due to existing traffic. But I don't like sites with excessive advertising like the underlined words that pop up a little ad box when you hover over them, etc. that many forums use to generate that additional revenue. So I don't use that here.

I've also completely stopped accepting sponsors because I grew weary of the ridiculous nonsense people were spouting off about how I "protect" vendors since they pay me (even though I never received a dollar from any of the vendors I was supposedly protecting.. people who are all worked up about something rarely let facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory).

So at this point, more traffic just means:

1. More time needed to moderate threads or intervene in petty disputes
2. More people who need technical help with the site (lost my password, can't register, didn't get activation link, can't figure out how to use something on the site, etc.)
3. Costs increase faster than revenue
4. More things to distract from the focus of the site, which is the NSX

Thus, increasing traffic is not really my goal.

While I'll do my best not to be inflamatory, I plan to continue to post on political forums my personal opinion with few punches pulled for stupid politicians. I also want to be able to start threads for issues I feel strong about (particularly 2nd ammendment) and not get them deleted.

As long as it is respectful, that is fine here for the time being. As you can see from another thread in this section, I am on the fence about whether to continue to allow any political discussion here or not. But please respect that this site does not exist for the purpose of serving as an electronic soapbox on political issues; it exists for NSX owners and enthusiasts to share everything NSX. What I view as an increasing lack of respect for that fact is one of the main drivers pushing me toward banning political discussion here after all these years.

However, I strongly encourage you and anyone else who feels so inclined to engage in ongoing political discussion and even vigorous debate in the appropriate venues, and to become involved in the political process. If 2nd Amendment rights are a big focus for you now, join the NRA and become active. That is the great thing about this country.

Hey Lud...Sorry If I have been one of the bad kids :frown::frown:

I have tried to be factual and not take shots at any prime members personally....but certian People in DC for sure :wink:

Anyway if I have crossed that line I do apologize.

JZ

1_the_right_to_bear_arms.jpg

Back