• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Winding Road "Acura NSX: Brand New Classic"

Opened up my Winding Road enewsletter today and much to my surprise, saw this little gem:

http://www.windingroad.com/articles...y+Email&utm_medium=email&utm_source=email-162

1991_NSX_01_jpg_677x1000_q100.jpg

Winding Road said:
Brand New Classic is exactly what it sounds like; a feature about vehicles that have just crossed the magical 20-year mark, and are now considered classics (at least according to some definitions). Of course, 20 years a classic does not make. After all, who’s going to argue that a 1991 Pontiac Sunbird deserves the title of classic? With that being said, feel free to chime in on whether our current car deserves to be a classic, along with any personal experiences you may have with it.

The Acura NSX came on the scene for the 1991 model year as a mid-engine, rear-wheel-drive car powered by a naturally aspirated 3.0-liter VTec V-6. When equipped with the five-speed manual transmission, it boasted an 8000-rpm redline, and produced 270 horsepower and 210 pound-feet of torque.

During its development, famed Formula 1 driver Ayrton Senna was able to test the NSX at Honda’s Suzuka Circuit, and give feedback to the engineers. It comes as no wonder, then, that drivers saw the NSX as a great performance car for both public roads and the racetrack. We would argue that it had the looks to back up its performance chops, with obvious cues taken from design elements of exotic cars of the day. The 1991 NSX was offered in three colors: Formula Red, Berlina Black, and Sebring Silver.

Searching eBay Motors, we find that the marketplace is sparsely populated by the 1991 NSX, with only four examples available at the time of this writing. The best bargain we found for a car with fewer than 100K miles on the odometer is a red, 84,000-mile NSX selling for a “Buy It Now” price of $28,900 in Chicago, Illinois. The car is completely stock, and the seller claims it has never been raced—good selling points for this brand new classic.

It's nice the best dang car EVER made is getting some good press.:biggrin:

That is the best photo of NSX period.

That is the best photo of NSX period.

Ha! It makes the 5 spokes actually look decent. I'm just glad the car is good some good recognition. You should read some of the comments at the bottom of the link.

Hope Honda mngmt reads some of them as well.

Great article!

its pictures like those that makes me realize how beautiful the original 91 with those stock wheels look, maybe with a little bit of drop. I mean, this just look so right in every way:

Autoart%20Honda%20NSX.jpg

I think the NSX looks great but it doesn't seem like automotive journalist do. I recall some of the older reviews of the NSX and there was always some negative comment in regards to the visual appearance of the car. I never understood that... I'll try to dig some up to show you guys.

I fell in love with this car in 1991. Can't believe I own one now. I thought it was the prettiest car on the road then, and I still think it's one of the prettiest now.

its pictures like those that makes me realize how beautiful the original 91 with those stock wheels look, maybe with a little bit of drop.

also wheel spacers and pop the center caps out. looks great.

I think the NSX looks great but it doesn't seem like automotive journalist do. I recall some of the older reviews of the NSX and there was always some negative comment in regards to the visual appearance of the car. I never understood that... I'll try to dig some up to show you guys.

its because of the trunk. they complained it gave the car odd proportions. it kinda does... but its still beautiful.

"Odd proportions?" Let me say I have seen a lot of cars with odd proportions.

The NSX is not one of them.

"Odd proportions?" Let me say I have seen a lot of cars with odd proportions.

The NSX is not one of them.

well if you compare it to the ferrari, like they probably did... i can see where they are coming from. both cars look great in their own way, though.

1989-ferrari-348-ts-7_800x0w.jpg

well if you compare it to the ferrari, like they probably did... i can see where they are coming from. both cars look great in their own way, though.

The NSX has the lines of a fighter jet with its "canopy" and rear fenders, outstanding seating position, and to me, perfect proportions that look great 20 years later with only minor updates. That Ferrari with its cheese grater side intakes and rear tail, look DATED and not nearly classic as the NSX lines. I mean to me the NSX looks much less dated, and I liked the 348.

bullet.jpg

1989-ferrari-348-ts-7_800x0w.jpg

37588_10150219025785360_862510359_13648119_4848067_n1.jpg

39766_10150219026195360_862510359_13648127_4069743_n1-1.jpg

Last edited:
its pictures like those that makes me realize how beautiful the original 91 with those stock wheels look, maybe with a little bit of drop. I mean, this just look so right in every way:

Autoart%20Honda%20NSX.jpg

Isnt that an AutoArt 1/18 model? I agree though. Never thought I'd be saying it: the NSXs stock boat anchors are starting to look pretty good. Granted with a drop and some spacers.

You may have noticed this over the last few years, auto journalists never seem to lead or have an original thought. I remember when they were all babbling about how the fold down headlights were soooo passé. Now they attribute the fold downs with it's classic look.

I think the original posted article shows that the press generally thinks favorably towards the NSX now.

imo and i think the nsx looks better in person than some photos lol, you just really have to see the car in person:smile:

I don't think there are many cars that can still stir your soul after many years of ownership like the NSX. I have owned my 95 NSX-T since new and these 16 years later still marvel at what a beautiful car it is everytime I walk up to it in a parking lot. I also own a "classic" 65 Fuelie Corvette convertable and it is a beautiful car in it's own right but nothing like the NSX. There is no mistaking an NSX for anything but a rare exotic by anyone that notices. Most performance cars will blow the doors off the stock NSX these days but none has the looks to go with it. I'm sure we will be just as enamored with this car many more years from now. I pretty positive I will.

Last edited:
Nice article...and some good (true) comments. Thanks for posting it.

Every time I look at my 91 I still marvel at what such a beautiful, exotic and rare car it is. My car still turns heads whenever I take it out. I don't think its looks will ever get old.

I've had my '92 for about 2 months, after 10 years of driving a 911. The more I read and learn about this car and the more I drive it, the more I appreciate whata truly awesome machine it is. Growing to love the red and the styling. And this thing turns heads and draws comments WAY more than the Porsche ever did. Thanks for the link!

Isnt that an AutoArt 1/18 model? I agree though. Never thought I'd be saying it: the NSXs stock boat anchors are starting to look pretty good. Granted with a drop and some spacers.

Like this. Mine dropped with Tein and 25mm adapter front and 35mm adapter rear. I swapped my 94-2001 wheels with a 91-93 set because I just love the fat five spokes.:biggrin:
DSC014351.JPG

Like this. Mine dropped with Tein and 25mm adapter front and 35mm adapter rear. I swapped my 94-2001 wheels with a 91-93 set because I just love the fat five spokes.:biggrin:
DSC014351.JPG

i love the phat fives also, but i like it without centercaps... 22mm front spacer, 35mm rear for me... i need to lower it soon.

Last edited:
Winding Road lists the NSX in "List: Top Ten Dead Car Models We Miss the Most."

http://www.windingroad.com/articles...email&utm_source=email-183&utm_content=WR72+3

Winding Road said:
Acura NSX: Oh, how you tease Acura. The original NSX was a revelation; a supercar that redefined the genre. It probably hung on for a bit longer than was prudent, yes, but those super-low-volume late models were still particularly riveting driver’s cars, albeit too pricey. Acura has flirted with bringing the NSX back many times now, but we’re still waiting.

imo and i think the nsx looks better in person than some photos lol, you just really have to see the car in person:smile:

Agreed, no amount of photos on the web does seeing it person justice.

It just looks different, but still beautiful at different angles.

I think it's the instant comparison to surroundings that photos can never convey. All the more reason to have one in your garage just for looking vice photos.

Back