• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

windshield polish??

just asking a dumb question here..... Does anyone make windsheild polish to remove scratches and knicks in windsheilds without having to buy a new windsheild?
Thanks!

Re: windsheild polish??

Most automotive glass shops can polish out scratches. I have never had it done personally, but once while I was having a chip filled, I saw them working on a car with bad scratches. It looked as if someone had run their wipers with no blades on them. The shop indicated that they would be able to polish the scratches out.

Good Luck,

Nate in DC

3m makes a kit for polishing glass . You need a random orbital sander since the kit uses the Velcro loc system . This is also great for taking scratches out of lexan and plexi glass . Kit runs about $70 or you can order just individual discs .

I have the Griot's and think it is phenomonel. I used it on the NSX glass all around and the glass feels like its brand new. :tongue:

Brocz said:
I have the Griot's and think it is phenomonel. I used it on the NSX glass all around and the glass feels like its brand new. :tongue:
Does it work on mild pitting (ones you can't feel, but can see)?

Anyone else polished very fine scratch/swirl marks out of glass? Would these polishes work on side windows that are UV (don't know if they have a coating on the outside)?

Some Jacka-- put a sticker on my side window. Impossible to get off. Rubbing alcohol does nothing. I tried using a sponge and it left tiny swirl marks. :mad: Any tips for getting the remaining residue off would be helpful too. Thanks.

What he said and you can try a bit of WD-40

I also use the Griot's glass polish and it has worked great. I bought a 6" Craftsman orbital just for the purpose of polishing the windshield.

Tip #1: Tape off the edges of the windshield (blue carpenter's tape is great)

Tip #2: Start off with just a small amount of the stuff and keep adding a few drops at a time when you start to feel that it's "too dry"

Good luck.

Another trick I learned for regular window cleaning. You can use a product called Barkeepers Friend. It looks like COMET or Ajax, but it wont scratch your glass. Apply it with a wet sponge on a wet window. Windshield wiper manufactureers use it when they are testing their wiperblades. They use this stuff on the glass to have a perfectly clean window to fully evaluate the quality of the wiperblade.

Ceriumoxide.jpg

Back