• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ZO6 VS. NSX

Any information between these two car (ZO6 VS. NSX)?
Can a modified NSX over run ZO6?
If it could what is the modification on NSX?
Does anyone race with ZO6 before? what is the story?
Need more information, since I am about to race a ZO6 this saturday night !!!!!!
My NSX modification are
1. Daliracing computer chip
2. DC headers
3. ARC titanium exhaust
4. ARC test pipe
5. ARC induction box
6. ARC racing aluminum radiator
7. FMU racing fuel pressure regulator
8. Extrudehone intake manifold
9. ACT racing clutch
10.Light weight flywheel

[This message has been edited by denwu88 (edited 30 January 2003).]

They are two completely different cars. What do you mean by race?

If you plan to race a Z06 at the drag strip and are facing an equally good driver, you are at a considerable disadvantage without a supercharger/turbo/nitrous. The car you are racing weighs only 100lbs more than your NSX and is over 400 in HP and torque w/ a disgustingly wide powerband. In addition, the stock tires on a Z06 are very wide and provide excellent traction from a standing start.

There are some on this board who have run mid 12s in a 97+ NA NSX, but they are regulars at the strip and have lots of practice. They could pull it off.

Go yourself first. See your times. If you know the driver has 1/4 experience and you can't break into 12s on your own, let alone low 12s... go have fun and race anyway, but don't bet anything you're not willing to lose.

Given similar drivers, a Z06 is a near equal of the Viper in a 1/4 mile run. Your opponent could screw up and you may have a great run and win, but I wouldn't bet pink slips if I were in your shoes.
wink.gif

For those who like to post magazine times... I recon they range in the consistent low 12s. That means high 11s with slicks. Good luck!

[This message has been edited by ilya (edited 30 January 2003).]

I will give it a try anyway. Don't worry, I'm not that dumb, I will not bet for pink slip. But I will let you know the result.

If all else fails,drag race down hill!

Have you Dyno'd your car?

Have you removed any weight? For the race you could remove:
- Everything in the car/glove box/etc
- Spare
- Tools
- Mats
- Engine cover
- Passenger seat
- AC Compressor/Belt (surprisingly easy)
- Much of the Gas (run as low as possible Sat.)

Also - tires and temp will make a BIG difference. Any R compounds with the light stock wheels would be perfect.

Even with all of this - I am afraid the displacement of the Vette is hard to overcome unless they miss a shift or something.

Be sure to:
- Turn the AC off
- Turn TCS off
- Launch from about 4k
- Have a clean / waxed car
- Have a clean air filter/injectors
- Run good high octane gas

Also wouldn't hurt to:
- Put tacks in front of the Z06
- Potatoe in his tailpipe
- Soap his tires
- Sugar in his gas

Good luck

Originally posted by PHOEN$X:
I just can't get over the C5's big
bocul.gif
!

The NSX was not designed to drag race and is underpowered for this type of racing.

I am afraid you will be seeing a lot of his
bocul.gif
unfortunately

Although I don't see the point in drag racing either car, they are a little closer than most above seem to suggest. Close enough that the driver is likely the biggest factor. Besides the suggestions above you need to shift right at redline each time, not a couple hundred early and not after hitting the limiter. Right at redline. If you haven't run at the strip before get a run or two in first to get accustomed to the amount of grip off the line which can be vastly different than on the street. You may to significantly alter your launch.

Here are typical magazine test times in the 1/4 mile:

Z06 12.7-12.9 seconds
3.2-liter NSX Coupe 12.9-13.1 seconds
3.2-liter NSX-T 13.1-13.4 seconds
3.0-liter NSX Coupe 13.7-13.9 seconds

According to Bob Butler, mods that add 15 hp can reduce NSX 1/4 mile times by about 0.3 second, and removing 100 pounds can reduce them by about half that amount.

I ran my friend Kevin's Z06 with:
I/H/E on my car. Z won
ran same Z again with above mods and 70 shot N2O and pulled on him by one car length, on the third run I sprayed a 100 shot on him and pulled easy on him.we switched cars and I beat my car.he wanted to run with me driving his Z and him the NSX with nos but I would not let him spray on me as he had never used nitrous and I was worried he might damage the motor
hope all that helps
David
no time slips for either car
wink.gif
BTW the Z was bone stock.having driven both cars very hard I still prefer the NSX anyday but of course you all know why.
as an after thought their is a guy on this forum with same n2o setup I run and he has beat z06's but I dont know if that is with or without the N20

[This message has been edited by BadCarma (edited 30 January 2003).]

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Here are typical magazine test times in the 1/4 mile:

Z06 12.7-12.9 seconds
3.2-liter NSX Coupe 12.9-13.1 seconds
3.2-liter NSX-T 13.1-13.4 seconds
3.0-liter NSX Coupe 13.7-13.9 seconds

with a good driver the Z06 times drop considerably.. here at our meets we have over 8 Z06s and when we head out to the track.. those cars run dam good. I;ve seen the Z06's in stock form and with all of them being hardcore drivers.. I've seen anywhere from a 12.7 down to a 11.8 on a '02 model freakin bone stock to the filter. 11.8s arent typical on the cars but i've seen many mid to lower 12's on bone stock vettes. As long as the race is for fun, its all good. With a good driver in both cars racing from a stop,the Z06 will walk the NSX with the mods you listed..on the hwy the race may be closer but the Z06 should still pull. Good luck anyways.. have fun.. and oh ya.. I dont know if I am allowed to post racing clips on here but if I am, I will post 3 videos of
of my friends NSX (3.2 with headers/intake/exhaust and bolt ons with a 75 shot) racing my Trans Am.. At the time I had midlength headers/a exhaust cutout and a intake lid. The TA is an automatic. But dont be surprised with the outcome.. you have a stock Z06 dynoing at 355rwhp on average vs a stock NSX with 270ish? on average. Your Mods will help you out but still wont give you as much as a stock Z06.

In fact, on my way to Moroso dragstrip last Wednesday, I came upon a Z06 on the Beeline Expressway. He rolled by me slowly and rev'ved. Up at the next light, he was in front of me, so being a straight road we both gunned it when the light changed. As I assumed, he left me in his dust badly, all the way up to about 70. (open road on the way to the dragstrip, last place we're going to "actually" race)
biggrin.gif

At the strip he ran a 12.5? and I ran a 13.44. I have headers, exhaust, test pipes, intake. I would need a hefty dose of nitrous or boost to keep up with him.

Although I would love to meet him on a track with some turns, I'd have a chance at that type of race.
wink.gif

SR

[This message has been edited by CmputerWiz (edited 30 January 2003).]

I just drove a 2003 Z06 6spd. this pasted saturday and must say, with the raw horsepower and torque the vette has, you will have a hard time beating it down the 1/4mi. track. As Mattini and ilya state: "the nsx was not designed to drag race....." "they are completely two different cars..." 100% true. The z06 a slightly refined muscle car of the 60's with a lions growl and strength the nsx a well bred thorobred winner from birth ('91) as agile as a cheetah with a kittens purrr are both competant preditors with diff. styles.

There is no logic in using differnt magazines comparing different cars on different days with different testers with different methodologies and different drivers with different equipment to conclude a Z06 and an NSX 3.0/3.2 are nearly as fast.

Just because the magazine articles say they are close does not make it so. Just ask the editors of Motor Trend this month when they got bombarded with letters after they tested the new Viper and the old Z06 numbers were close. I wouldn't be surprised if these people received threats - the letters were so heated.

In response, there is an eloquent article this month in Motor Trend (Feb. 03) by the editor (I would post a link but it is not a "past" issue yet). It is called "The Numbers Game" and the editor explains why the numbers can not be compared even with the same model and the same testing methodology because of differences in tracks, drivers, and a thousand other variables they can not completely control.

I love my NSX and I really don't give a darn if a Z06/7/8 or whatever can out race an NSX. That said - I have seen for a fact how fast these cars are in a straight line and around a track - and the same driver on the same day with the best techniques will out drag OR out-lap an NSX. You will need to come up with some kind of significant mods, weight reduction, and driver's skill to win.

Have fun, make us proud, and remember - you win as you still will be driving an NSX

smile.gif

[This message has been edited by matteni (edited 30 January 2003).]

(Nick) matteni is quite right. And yet as I said above, and as the sum of all magazine tests and real world battles supports, at amateur drag events the driver is as big a big variable as the difference between these two cars. Multiply that by at least 10 at a road course. CmputerWiz, you may be great through the corners but don’t underestimate the Z06 there either.

Another often overlooked factor is car to car variances. I'd wager that you would find larger differences in output between Z06s than between NSXs.

This is slightly off topic, but people always seem to think of Z06 when comparing Corvettes to NSXs. If I were going to compare an NSX to a Vette, I would compare the NSX-T to the T-top Corvette, and the Type R to the Z06, as they are both the "racing" versions of the respective cars. That said, a Z06 would likely still beat a Type R in the quarter mile, I think.

Back in my younger dumber days (several months ago)I was fortunate enough to have raced a Z06. Typical (stupid) street racing, nothing fancy. Long flat straight road. I was able to pull 5-6 car lengths on him (75-90 feet) by 110 mph. I had a 1991 NSX that was aided by the BBSC, 4.55 r/p, short gears, & headers. Mathematically, this works out to be about 0.6 seconds faster than the Z06 in the quarter.

Good luck to you.

Don't do anything stupid!

I raced a zo6 repeatedly on the freeway and had no problem with taking the lead every time.I was surprised.I really thought the Z was gonna smoke the heck out of me.He said (after we pulled over) that he frequented the track, this of course made me smile even more.Losing is not bad "BUT" I love to win!!

FOCUSED ,DRIVEN AND PERSISTENT
NEVER CEASING ,NEVER ENDING!!!

------------------
WWW.MYNSX.COM

Originally posted by naaman:
This is slightly off topic, but people always seem to think of Z06 when comparing Corvettes to NSXs. If I were going to compare an NSX to a Vette, I would compare the NSX-T to the T-top Corvette, and the Type R to the Z06, as they are both the "racing" versions of the respective cars. That said, a Z06 would likely still beat a Type R in the quarter mile, I think.

While I agree with the statements about not being able to compare magazine time(s) on different days etc.., does anyone know the number comparisons on the 97+ NSX-T compared to the standard "T-Top" Vette?

------------------
97 NSX-T Black/Tan
00 Mercedes 430CLK (Cab)
93 Cadillac Allante (Northstar) - For Sale
98 GMC Sierra
00 HD Dyna WideGlide
83 Cessna 303 (Crusader)

Originally posted by Paul65K:
does anyone know the number comparisons on the 97+ NSX-T compared to the standard "T-Top" Vette?

I think you'll find that they are virtually identical. I know they both typically run around 4.9 in 0-60.

Your NSX will not be close. I had a 93 NSX with 334 rwhp Comptech NSX and it was no match for a Z06 from a roll. Unless you take him off the line really good, he will just pull you through the whole race. With 334 rwhp, I was able to turn 113mph trap speed, that is with Dali battery, lightweight Cobra seats, no spare, Comptech header &Exhaust.

Originally posted by denwu88:
Any information between these two car (ZO6 VS. NSX)?
Can a modified NSX over run ZO6?
If it could what is the modification on NSX?
Does anyone race with ZO6 before? what is the story?

I dont understand the above. You're saying that with a 334 rwhp NSX you were totally unable to take a STOCK 02 Z06?

That's very strange considering that most Z06's actually dyno at around 340rwhp and are about 100 lbs heavier.

Stock Z06's do NOT trap much higher than 113, btw. I've got no problems with Vettes (I owned a 00 C5 before the NSX), but the above story just doesn't make sense to me...

Just as an example... I stayed dead even with an 02 Z06 and my Vette was an *auto*. Mods were cold air induction, exhaust, headers, powerloader 2, 3.42 gears and high stall torque converter. I was running about a 12.4 in my Vette and I'd guess I was probably at about 320rwhp.

[This message has been edited by spookyp (edited 31 January 2003).]

How did you like that powerloader? Really makes a difference for those autos, especially if you get it done in-house. I recall that along with the 3.42 or 3.73 ratios was one of the best things you could do for those cars in automatic. The stock 3.15 auto was a dog in response.

Back