• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2004 Rio Yellow Turbo build

2004 Rio Yellow 3.5 Turbo build

The NSX was my dream car since it came out. I was only 18 when it was released so it remained my dream car until I turned 33. I could have purchased a older model sooner but I wanted a "clean slate". I have been souping up Hondas since 1990 and I knew the car in stock form would not be enough to satisfy my quest for pushing the limits. I purchased my car new as a leftover in May of 2005. I planned on FI from the start but I wasn't entirely satisfied with the CTSC setups. I liked them but I did not like the provision for the targa and the loss of the intake growl. Right after I drove it home I called my freinds at Comptech and Chris @ SOS. I lowered the car with Tein S tech springs (couldn't find a coilover that I liked at the time), added Work VS XX wheels, Comptech headers, Comptech swaybars, Taitec LWGT exhaust and a Cantrell AIS. Acceleration was improved but I needed a blower of some sort. Then there was the antenna mast and that ugly steering wheel. I disconnected the mast (I dont listen to the radio) and I added the JDM Type S steering wheel, Type R knob and shift boot.

picture.php

Last edited:
It was month number 11 of ownership and 3500 miles later. Since the car was over a year old I changed the oil and filter. When I looked at the pan I thought it would be nice to see a welded bung in this pan for the oil return of a turbo system. :wink: After talking to freinds and bugging Cody at Lovefab I went for a Lovefab PT67 stage 3 turbo system (this was his 1st customer install on the NSX). Before Dropping my car off to Cody I sold the Work wheels, installed HRE 545R wheels, RPS Stage 1 clutch and a set of SOS billet guage cluster trim rings.

picture.php

My car was with Cody for 1 month and I picked it up in May 2006. I couldn't beleive how the car sounded and performed when I picked it up. It was a real screamer. Cody kept me updated with pics and the craftsmanship was top notch. I knew that anyway before calling upon his skills.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
In the summer of 2007 I racked up 8500 miles on the car. I drove it as much as I could to be sure the turbo system would be reliable. I put 5000 miles on the Lovefab kit and didn't have any problems with it other than one thing......................400 RWHP was not cutting it anymore. Im sure some of you can relate (Vegas NSX, Devin P@AEM, lowellhigh79 etc) I started thinking about raising the boost and building the engine for FI. I was reluctant because the car was still so new but I knew I had to do it. Nate @ Comptech called me and told me there was 1 stroker kit left before Comptech would possibly shut their doors for good so I snagged it. I talked to Shad and he agreed to pick it up, help me see the 3.5 build through once the smoke had cleared with Comptech and CT-Engineering. Tony Manza finished the 3.5 in the spring of 2008 with a old 3.0 I had purchased. I still wasn't satisfied with the suspension. After driving Lutera's NSX with JRZs I was hooked. It was smooth and there no brake dive and or body roll. I ordered them and installed them but never set them up 100 %. From my short experience with them I can say they were better than just about anything else I had driven on. Once again I sold another set of wheels (the HREs) and replaced them with Volk GTVs. I sold the JRZs because they never came up with a clip to attach the brake line to the front damper. (I know its petty but I don't like zip ties) I replaced the JRZs with the KW V3 coil overs.

picture.php

I didn't have too much time on my hands because I had my 1st daughter (Brandi) one month after I bought the car and then Jamie (my 2nd daughter) came along 20 months later. I was thinking of installing the stroker myself with some freinds but I can't find the time and I know the tuning would be a nightmare in my neck of the woods. After much thought and considering this guy has answered so many questions for me in the past I decided to send the car to Shad @ Driving Ambition....................stay tuned.

picture.php

Last edited:
I can't wait to see how this turns out, as I ended up gettig the same 3.5L 9.5:1 build that you got. I am waiting a while before I get FI as I want to see the best application that will match my engine build.

I talked to Shad about your build up a while back. I'm glad to see that you decided to keep the car and go forward with this project. I can relate to the fiscal responsibility that something like this makes you question when you are suposed to be asleep at night. :redface:

I eagerly await what type of BEAST will come out of this!

It was a tough time when I thought about selling the car. We had several layoffs at work shortly after I sent the car to Shad and to top it off my wife is a "stay at home Mom". I was thinking of selling it because my wife was concerned and I certainly didn't feel like being unemployed with this HUGE project my hands. I sold my original stroker engine when I was debating on keeping the car and in addition to that I thought it would be best to make a few changes to my engine build. It was cheaper in the long run to sell my original 3.5 and build another stroker (with the changes) from my 3.2. Now I can't see myself selling it soon but I am getting somewhat bored. Im probably getting bored because I have 2 other projects that are more exciting to me for some odd reason. Any way I am looking forward to the finished product because I think the car will be everything I wanted and then some.

BTW I think you made a good choice with the 3.5. It will make peak torque sooner and more power on lower boost. Considering the aforementioned the engine will last longer than your standard 3.2 low compression build because you will need less boost to acheive a similar #.

Last edited:
Beautiful NSX, do you have any videos? I'm sure a lot of us would love to hear how that thing screams....

thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the kind words. The car is not completed yet but I will have some videos soon. I am making some more changes that are holding up progress. I should post some pics with the new wheels but the the car isn't lowered enough and corner balanced yet. The car should be completed in time for NSXPO.

Last edited:
Looking at your dyno chart, your car is exactly what I am looking for. 400hp, 300 TQ. I would think the car would be a blast like that and really fast. Can you tell me why it wasn't enough for you? Did it just not feel fast anymore?

Looking at your dyno chart, your car is exactly what I am looking for. 400hp, 300 TQ. I would think the car would be a blast like that and really fast. Can you tell me why it wasn't enough for you? Did it just not feel fast anymore?

It was very fast but the car handles the power so well that you just get used to it ( You get bored). I think the perfect setup would be 500 RWHP but I am going for a little bit more than that. Once the NSX has 400 RWHP you realize how GREAT this chassis is and how much more it can handle. My freind's car has 500 RWHP with my old Lovefab setup and it still handles the power extremely well. If you think you will be satisfied with 400 RWHP but I would suggest a turbo system with a GT35R so you can get quicker spool and more torque. BTW my old setup with the PT67 did not feel laggy at all. I liked it better than the instant boost on the typical CTSC setups because the car was very easy to manage while making great torque at the same time. If you are ready for FI send me a PM and I and give you some good ideas.

Last edited:
It was very fast but the car handles the power so well that you just get used to it ( You get bored). I think the perfect setup would be 500 RWHP but I am going for a little bit more than that. Once the NSX has 400 RWHP you realize how GREAT this chassis is and how much more it can handle. My freind's car has 500 RWHP with my old Lovefab setup and it still handles to power extremely well.

I am not worried about how the chassis handles the power, I am worried how the motor handles the power :)

I think a 3.2 at 400rwhp should be good for a long time. My vette was a blast a 360rwhp.

I am not worried about how the chassis handles the power, I am worried how the motor handles the power :)

I think a 3.2 at 400rwhp should be good for a long time. My vette was a blast a 360rwhp.

Well if you are going to keep the engine stock I would stay around 400-425 RWHP with a GT35R. It will take at least a year or two for you to get bored.

Well if you are going to keep the engine stock I would stay around 400-425 RWHP with a GT35R. It will take at least a year or two for you to get bored.

Sounds like a plan. Now I just have to save up some cash! :biggrin:

Finally I got to see your car, beautiful. Thank you for your 3.5l that you had sold to me. You had saved me a lot of time on my project, I am really enjoy it, and looking forward to see the result on your project. Keep me post

Sky

Brandon,

The car is looking good. I finally installed the GTV's you talked me into getting. Good call, they are sick! Hope all is well with the family and I hope to catch up sooner than later. Maybe NSXPO Vegas? :eek::biggrin:

Finally I got to see your car, beautiful. Thank you for your 3.5l that you had sold to me. You had saved me a lot of time on my project, I am really enjoy it, and looking forward to see the result on your project. Keep me post

Sky

Thanks Sky. How is your 3.5 beast running ? BTW I like your car too................love the Route KS side spats.

Brandon,

The car is looking good. I finally installed the GTV's you talked me into getting. Good call, they are sick! Hope all is well with the family and I hope to catch up sooner than later. Maybe NSXPO Vegas? :eek::biggrin:

Im probably taking my car to NSXPO. The car should be completed before NSXPO but I am debating on leaving in it Norcal so I can drive it to Vegas.

Post some pics of your car with the GTVs. I will post some pics of my car with the Advans once it is done.

Im probably taking my car to NSXPO. The car should be completed before NSXPO but I am debating on leaving in it Norcal so I can drive it to Vegas.

OK, OK I'll drive your car to Vegas if I have too it's OK :tongue:

Here are a few pics of the latest progress in my build. SOS twins mounted on Comptech built 3.5 with the CT exhuast. The car is running and should be completed this month.

Comptech 3.5 3.jpg

NSX 3.5 engine.jpg

NSX Exhaust.jpg

NSX SOS piping pic.jpg

NSX SOS turbo pic.jpg

Last edited:
nice update after 2yrs! I'm sure it will be worth the wait!

i laugh... thats how long it might take me to save up lol

Why did you go away from the lovefab?

I sold it shortly after I sent the car to DA because I liked the Driving Ambition turbo system better. I planned on using the DA kit until Shad installed the Science Of Speed twin turbo system on another customer's car. Shad was impressed with it so he suggested I use the SOS instead of his kit since the car is more of a street car. I'm usually partial to the single turbo systems but I do like the quality and packaging of the SOS kit more than most of the other turbo ststems I have seen.

- - - Updated - - -

Because twins are more fun!

I hope you are right. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Back