• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Comtech Sc whipple noise ?

Finally tried my Sc at a track day. Car flies now. I'm now 6 seconds faster in my class! I noticed at the end of day Sc had a noise at idle and went away when revved up. It was a gear type noise?

Yep, a whipple charger will always make a rattling noise at idle, is normal

Time and miles definitely take their toll on a s/c no matter what you hear. Bearings and bushings do wear out and a Whipple rebuild will definitely reduce the rattle at idle. I am ready to send mine ($650).

Whipple superchargers rattle from new, I think it is the bearings.

Many years ago (1994) when I installed my first superchargerkit on my MX-5/Miata and started it up for the first time, I thought I had done something terribly wrong as it rattled very clearly on idle, the sound disappearing when revving up.
I immediatly contacted the whipple supplier (at that time Downing Atlanta) but was assured that this was normal and everything was well.
Since then, I have installed whipple chargers on several different cars and they all had the rattling sound.
The whipple on my NSX which only has done about 3K mls since new, rattles quite clearly. I changed and filled the SC oil to max and the rattle has deminished a little, but is very audible.
This is really the only downside of these Whipple chargers, they all rattle at idle as if your engine is at the point of failing. Is normal.

CT does not rebuild superchargers AFAIK. The company that does was the subject of a question I had asked on a separate thread:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136102

A lot of SC users will tell you that the rattle at idle is inherent to all Whipples at that is true. BUT, I have painstakingly listened to my S/C with 50K miles on its clock and listened to others with less than 10K miles of use and, believe me, there is quite a bit of difference in the ratlle betwen the two. BTW, I have topped the oil, I have tried different oils and I have checked and rechecked belt tension...etc. to no avail. The good thing about all this is that my S/C has not lost any delivered WHP since new.

If I remember correctly, the supercharger unit is supplied by the swedish company Magnusson. They should be able to rebuild a whipple.
I do however wonder if it is just the bearings that need to be renewed why this could not be done by any competent machine shop.
Mind you, the whipple chargers are very durable. A friend of mine still has a whipple on his regularly rallyed and tracked Miata which I installed about 10 years ago with now about 100K on the SC and still running strong:rolleyes::biggrin:.

CT does not rebuild superchargers AFAIK. The company that does was the subject of a question I had asked on a separate thread:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136102

A lot of SC users will tell you that the rattle at idle is inherent to all Whipples at that is true. BUT, I have painstakingly listened to my S/C with 50K miles on its clock and listened to others with less than 10K miles of use and, believe me, there is quite a bit of difference in the ratlle betwen the two. BTW, I have topped the oil, I have tried different oils and I have checked and rechecked belt tension...etc. to no avail. The good thing about all this is that my S/C has not lost any delivered WHP since new.
I've had very good luck with the Motorcraft (Ford) Supercharger Oil. I hear the GM Oil is also good. I can PM you the part #'s if you want.

If I remember correctly, the supercharger unit is supplied by the swedish company Magnusson. They should be able to rebuild a whipple.
I do however wonder if it is just the bearings that need to be renewed why this could not be done by any competent machine shop.
Mind you, the whipple chargers are very durable. A friend of mine still has a whipple on his regularly rallyed and tracked Miata which I installed about 10 years ago with now about 100K on the SC and still running strong:rolleyes::biggrin:.

If the Whipple units are Magnuson units then it will be very similar to the Roots Magnuson unit TRD uses in my pickup. If so, then rebuild prices are probably very similar from Magnuson direct. They won't care which car it is out of they just want to know which model number roots blower you have. You can send it to Magnuson directly for a snout rebuild. Most only need a snout rebuild btw. They were going to charge me about $300 (unit specific) to perform the rebuild on my unit which I found out later a quick oil change fixed the noise problem (temporary?). I know the snout bearings and the coupler does wear out eventually (80k-100k+ miles on the Toyota).

There is also a place in Atlanta, Georgia that does only the snout rebuild for $150. You send them the snout assembly only. I guess anyone with a decent machine press can do the rebuild effectively.

Magnuson Products, Inc.
1990 Knoll Drive
Ventura, CA 93003
(805) 642-8833- Phone
(805) 677-4897 - Fax
Hours: M-F 8:30AM-5:00PM (PST)
www.MagnusonProducts.com - Web Site

oh.. and btw... the rattle at idle comes from the gears in the snout. There's almost no tension at idle on those gears and they tend to clank around as the belt cycles more loosely at idle. they are also straight cut gears which makes the noise worse. bad bearings will compound that problem. for what it's worth.. i've never heard of bearings go bad even after 150k miles however I think the CT units spin faster (more strain) than the TRD units I know a little better about.

Last edited:
I think it's the lash in the gears . Mine makes a lot of noise at idle and even a little more with the AC on. If it were the bearings making that much noise, it would fail.

You got it right RYU; the snout is one of the main culprits and it is included in the SPE rebuild for $650. They also offer to work the case and claim increased efficiency.

Back