• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Should I buy an older or newer NSX

LMR

Legendary Member
I am finally ready to buy a NSX after dreaming of owning one since they came out in 1991. BMW is buying my 2006 Z4 after 3 1/2 years of problems, mostly electrical. I will be dropping it off at the dealer today and getting a check:smile:. Here is my dilemma. Should I buy a newer one and use most or all the money or should I buy an older one and save the extra money for future repairs. I have been pricing them for a couple of months while waiting for BMW to agree to a buy back. I am seeing 1991 to 1993 going for $20K to $25k and 2000 to 2002 for $42k to $48k. I do not think I could spend around $20k in repairs for an older one over the next few years. I have been looking on this site for info on what might be needed for repairs on the older ones and learned about the importance of timing belt and water pump replacement and up to date service but thought it would be best to post this and get more direct answers for my situation. I also will using this as my daily car. Thanks in advance for all advice.

I have owned 5 total.
2, 92s
2, 95 targas
1, 02.

I personally love the 02 more than I thought I would.
To me it's a huge difference in looks and performance.
I know a lot of purists still like the pop up headlights, but after having the bugeyes, the 91-01s IMO look a little dated.

If you can afford the newer one, get it, hands down.

Just my .02

preference...

Go w/ one of the following three scenarios, note that each of them should have a commonality - namely maint'/service is up to date & most wear-&-tear parts/components have been addressed...

* $22.5k - $27.5k for '91-'94 NSX coupe w/ avg./above-avg. miles

* $30k - $35k for '95-'96 NSX-T w/ avg./above-avg. miles

* $37.5k - $42.5k for '97-'01 NSX-T w/ avg./above-avg. miles

[the refreshed '02-'05 NSX-T go for $47.5k - $62.5k w/ low to avg. miles]

(avg. miles for an NSX is ~5k/year)

The aforementioned encompasses most NSX'es, yes- there are exceptions.

More info' w/ regards to general NSX upkeep...

maint'/service:
- 4yr/60k + 6yr/90k (or 7yr/105k for late-models) = ~$2.5k+

wear-&-tear/consumables:
- brake pads/discs/fluid
- tires/alignment
- seat-bolsters / floor-mats / door & center-console trim surface
- A/C recharge (and/or R134c retrofit)
- Bose stereo speaker/sub amps (repairable)
- Climate control panel (repairable)
- door-window regulators ("Fix'it thingies"/lube)
- clutch = $2k - $2.5k (indie vs. dealer)

A '91-'94 NSX coupe that is well sorted is more-or-less money in the bank, as it'll need little or no funds to keep running & it's depreciation has largely bottomed out (ie. excessive mileage and/or poor condition will affect value).

A '95-'96 NSX-T w/o issue offers "lifestyle" (removable roof, power-steering) to the '91-'94 power-train/drive-train (as well as being OBDII) & it's likely to depreciate minimally (ie. excessive mileage and/or poor condition will affect value).

A no-story '97-'01 NSX-T offers "lifestyle" (removable roof, power-steering) & performance (larger displacement engine w/ improved exhaust-manifold design, 6 spd. transmission, etc') & still will depreciate slightly albeit at a very low rate (relative to other similarly priced high-end/premium vehicles).

Last edited:
Make sure you find a reputable shop or dealership to perform the PPI before you make your decision. The PPI gives you a detail information about the vehicle condition, and if there is any potential repair or maintenance cost. They'll also check timing-belt and other items that you wish them to check specifically. You can use the regional forum, if you need help getting a PPI done before you fly out to seal the deal. There are more than a few, really helpful guys/source on the forum that know what to look for in a PPI. Once you have their seal of approval, there really isn't much for you to worry about, except the price.

MLR,
Almost all sales price recommendations given by NSX owners (including myself sometimes) on this forum are 5-12% on the average higher than what actual sales figures eventuall are. The newer the car, the lower the miles, the more unreasonable are asking prices. Reality is always a few steps below.

Thanks for the quick replies. All this info is great, especialy Osiris_x11 for the detailed info on pricing, service and wearable items.

mknmoves, on the 92's you had, how long did you own them?

Thanks for the quick replies. All this info is great, especialy Osiris_x11 for the detailed info on pricing, service and wearable items.

mknmoves, on the 92's you had, how long did you own them?

My first 92 I had for under a year, loved it, but sold because I was broke and it was paid for. That was 11 years ago.

My 2nd 92 I had for under 6 months also a great example, but I realized I needed the targa. Sold it bought a 95 Targa, sold it bought the 02 (def my favorite)

MLR,
Almost all sales price recommendations given by NSX owners (including myself sometimes) on this forum are 5-12% on the average higher than what actual sales figures eventuall are. The newer the car, the lower the miles, the more unreasonable are asking prices. Reality is always a few steps below.

The flipside of this is that nearly 100% of the time, with *any* high end car, when I see one where the new owner got the great deal that was at least 10% less what everyone was saying to expect, the car has had *clear* (to me) paint and accident history. Now some people don't care unless it was catastrophic, and many people dont know... but a LOT more sports cars have accident history than one would guess. And enough buyers *can* catch it and do pass that the selling prices get driven down.

It causes a giant difference. When I was shopping for a 911 Turbo, the ones that were *genuinely* accident and paint free were going at least $5k higher than the ones that werent. I believe this is because the ones that werent were on the market longer because of their history and were getting pushed down by the market. The ones that had an honest clean history were typically original owner and the owner was financially sound and wasnt in a hurry to sell.

Sure you can get lucky and get someone with a true pristine example that is desperate to sell and willing to go as low as you can offer, but I think thats not so likely with a car as rare as the NSX even in this market. "good deal" will almost certainly equate to some kind of story rather than "desperate original owner with garage queen who needs cash"

LMR, I think you will get a variety of views on this subject so I'll give it a shot with my "personal" view and experience buying an NSX. Take you budgeted amount and subtract $5,000 for maintenance plus sales tax for your state. The net difference obviously represents your max. purchase price. The maintenance and sales tax most likely is worst case and you'll probably have some of that left over.

Next is what year to purchase. If you like the hideaway lights than its a 1991-2001. You'll save money not having the "froggie" lights. Next is do you want the 3.0 or 3.2 motor, I've read minor performance enhancements to the 3.0 will give you the 3.2 power. If, like me, the 3.2 was not a show stopper then that puts you in the 1991-1996 model year. Now you need to choose between the Targa and Coupe. For me I wanted a Targa so it was a 1995 or 1996. If you want a Coupe, then you have the 1991-1994. I ended up with a 1996.

I'm sure you have read about some of the common issues with these cars, so maintenance records is important. A PPI is also very important and performed by a reputable NSX technician.

So older versus newer all depends on what model year best fits you. I'm not an advocate of buying the newest one with the lowest miles, not for an NSX anyway. I'm a believer in buying the year you want with the lowest miles. Having said all this, some of the cars are very well maintained and have higher mileage, it's all in how the owner(s) have cared for the car.

Good luck in your search for a car. Your wise in using this site, there is a wealth of information and knowledgeable members.

Last edited:
These additional posts have more good info, Thanks.This will help to narrow down the choices I knew the first time I came to this site it would be the best place for info when I was ready to buy. Dropped off car today so thats FINALLY out of the way:smile:!!

LMR, I think you will get a variety of views on this subject so I'll give it a shot with my "personal" view and experience buying an NSX. Take you budgeted amount and subtract $5,000 for maintenance plus sales tax for your state. The net difference obviously represents your max. purchase price. The maintenance and sales tax most likely is worst case and you'll probably have some of that left over.

Next is what year to purchase. If you like the hideaway lights than its a 1991-2001. You'll save money not having the "froggie" lights. Next is do you want the 3.0 or 3.2 motor, I've read minor performance enhancements to the 3.0 will give you the 3.2 power. If, like me, the 3.2 was not a show stopper then that puts you in the 1991-1996 model year. Now you need to choose between the Targa and Coupe. For me I wanted a Targa so it was a 1995 or 1996. If you want a Coupe, then you have the 1991-1994. I ended up with a 1996.

I'm sure you have read about some of the common issues with these cars, so maintenance records is important. A PPI is also very important and performed by a reputable NSX technician.

So older versus newer all depends on what model year best fits you. I'm not an advocate of buying the newest one with the lowest miles, not for an NSX anyway. I'm a believer in buying the year you want with the lowest miles. Having said all this, some of the cars are very well maintained and have higher mileage, it's all in how the owner(s) have cared for the car.

Good luck in your search for a car. Your wise in using this site, there is a wealth of information and knowledgeable members.

You should really try to drive one of each type if possible. One of the nice things about the NSX (and also the source of much criticism over the years) is that, while it was updated during its life, it is pretty much the same car. A mint 91 is not that different performance-wise than a mint 2005. Therefore, it really comes down to the options you want and that is more of a personal preference. For instance, do you want flip-ups or bug-eyes? Targa or coupe? Any particular colors you prefer? These decisions will drive your year choice more than performance. Yes, the 3.2 is more powerful and yes the 6-speed is better than the 5-speed, but all NSXs are fun to drive and all perform well. FWIW, here are my general impressions:

91-94 coupes: Raw, light and rigid. Fast cars great for the track.
95-96 targas: Great for sunny climates, cruising the blvd. Heavier and less rigid plus cowl shake. The "slowest" NSX.
97-01 targas: Great for sunny climates, cruising the blvd. Still heavier and less rigid than a coupe. You get the 3.2, 6-speed and bigger brakes, which help a lot.
97-01 coupes: The ultimate NSX for performance enthusiasts. A track beast. Extremely rare. Zanardis would also fall into this category.
02-05 targas: Same as 97-01 but you get the bug eyes and updated body, plus a modern digital ABS system.

My $.02. I bought my 92 coupe over a newer NSX because budget wise when I bought it a 97 was more than i wanted to spend on a car and being mechanical engineer, I prefered the idea of a lighter and more rigid car.

Having owned the car now for over six years I am re-thinking that original train of thought since I don't really track the car. That said, I think I would like to get a targa someday, I would get a 97+ targa for the 3.2 liter engine and the 6-spd transmission, not sure if I would get an 02+ just because I have mixed feelings on the headlights.

So if you are going to track the car then I would maybe consider an earlier coupe and put the money into mods/maintenance. If you are not going to track the car, or rarely would, then I would get a 97+ targa.

If you plan on boosting the car I think you are probably better off with a 3.0 5-spd from a cost/mod stand point.

How much more headroom is in the coupe compared to the Targa?

Honcho, Osiris, and Sidwac all made great points and gave super advice and there is not a whole lot that can be added. But maybe a few things:.....lol....the others know what's coming.

I believe that the best way to find the right car no matter what year you buy is thru an individual owner, ther fewer the owners the better as in long term ownership for most of the cars life. That way you find a car that has been cared for, maintained properly - which thier records will show - you want records and the older the car is the more records you need to see and should see IF the car is truly maintained properly.

If you see a car that has gone from one to another without long stints of ownership you will mostly get the "hot potatoe" of deffered maintenance, Believe me it is not cheap to maintain these cars properly. So one without many records - not good. Go to the next one!!!

All the things Honcho says are true about the individual years benefits but that's all things being equal and they seldom are. Sidwac also makes the point - figure out which one you want and then get low miles - that's good advice too! I will add one other piece to that which is supported by Bruce Anderson - he's a great mechanic, wrote the Performance Handbook for Porsches, and does a montly market update for all the model runs that Porsche has ever made for Excellenc magazine - even though we are talking NSX and not Porsche I believe the logic to be the same for many reasons:

Buy the newest, best example, lowest mile car you can afford! Regardless of coupe vs targa vs frog eyes or pop ups - the latest models have not only the 3.2 and 6 speed but the newer the car the newer all those little pieces of rubber, bushings, seals, Air Conditiioning, ABS, window regulators (which by the way are a source of aggrevation on the older models), all that kind of stuff. So a higher mileage car may have a good price but if it doesn't come with a pile of records, like my 91 did and long term owners - then go on to the next one! The larger engine and 6 speed combo is nothing to just pass over with a casual glance. Many here with older cars like my 91 and up to the 96 are putting in what is called JDM or short gears or the Japanese gearing and with the 97 and later model you get that plus the 6th gear - that little mod is about 2000 to 2400 and from all I've read it makes a big difference in the acceleration of the car.

The other issue you've heard some mention of is the old 91-94 exhaust headers - going to a comptech, or other header system like Cantrell (there are several) is highly desireable as the old cast iron headers that came on mine are good for one thing - can you say "boat anchor". Mine has headers and I bought it that way. These are other fine points - there are some mods that you should seriously know about so you can find a car, if older is what you end up with due to budget constraints or stiffness considrations or just to have a coupe, that have these mods.

There is a lot to know about these cars and what is a desireable mod and what may detract from the value of the car. I believe that a stock appearance and interior is the best way to start. But there are surely other opinions about side skirts and body kits, different hoods, carbon fibre etc. So take you time and really get into this - it will take you a lot of time to fully understand all these ins and outs. For example - you could study this site for at least 6 months before you started looking seiously and you'd be the better off for it.

Good luck to you and the members here are always ready to help.

Last edited:
This is all good info. I have learned something from every post, so please keep them coming. I am leaning towards a newer one but still keeping an eye on the older ones. I love this site!!!

i sort of skimmed through the responses, but I think this wasnt addressed too much... maintenance/repairs. there are some commo things that tend to go bad with NSXs, especially in the early years. like many, here are a few things I had to have done to my 91 (mostly common issues):

1. window regulators- a)dealer charges about $600 per door or b) send in bad ones for rebuilding for about $80 each (seems to be what most guys do) or c) do like I did and just grease the rails (has worked for me) cost $7

2. door and sub amplifiers. these cars have 3 amplifiers (one on each door and one for the sub, located on the passenger floorboard) that all go bad usually after 7-10 years. you can buy new amps online for about $80 each.

3. clutch. mine was done before I bought the car but the clutch job is about $3,000 (clutch is about $2,000 for parts and another $1,000 for labor). I've seen stock clutches last people well over 100,000 miles, I've seen other replace them around 50,000 miles though too.

4. timing belt. i think they are due at the 90k service but even if you buy a car with under 90k, keep age in mind. these belts will deteriorate over time (same thing with a lot of the seals). my car is a 91 w/ 72k on it, but the timing bely was done about 7 years ago while at around 53k on the odometer.

5. brake master cylinder. about $350 parts and labor is what I paid.

the NSX is a REALLY well built car. if you're used to having problems with the BMW this will be a very different experience. a buddy of mine has owned his NSX for about 13 years and outside of routine maintenance and a couple of the things I mentioned above, he has had no problems with the car and he's well over 150,000 miles on it and drives it daily.

in short, if the timing belt and clutch are in good shape, then you shouldn't expect to have to spend much on maintenance/repairs at all if you buy a well taken care of car.

i sort of skimmed through the responses, but I think this wasnt addressed too much... maintenance/repairs. there are some commo things that tend to go bad with NSXs, especially in the early years. like many, here are a few things I had to have done to my 91 (mostly common issues):

1. window regulators- a)dealer charges about $600 per door or b) send in bad ones for rebuilding for about $80 each (seems to be what most guys do) or c) do like I did and just grease the rails (has worked for me) cost $7

2. door and sub amplifiers. these cars have 3 amplifiers (one on each door and one for the sub, located on the passenger floorboard) that all go bad usually after 7-10 years. you can buy new amps online for about $80 each.

3. clutch. mine was done before I bought the car but the clutch job is about $3,000 (clutch is about $2,000 for parts and another $1,000 for labor). I've seen stock clutches last people well over 100,000 miles, I've seen other replace them around 50,000 miles though too.

4. timing belt. i think they are due at the 90k service but even if you buy a car with under 90k, keep age in mind. these belts will deteriorate over time (same thing with a lot of the seals). my car is a 91 w/ 72k on it, but the timing bely was done about 7 years ago while at around 53k on the odometer.

the NSX is a REALLY well built car. if you're used to having problems with the BMW this will be a very different experience. a buddy of mine has owned his NSX for about 13 years and outside of routine maintenance and a couple of the things I mentioned above, he has had no problems with the car and he's well over 150,000 miles on it and drives it daily.

in short, if the timing belt and clutch are in good shape, then you shouldn't expect to have to spend much on maintenance/repairs at all if you buy a well taken care of car.

Me, coming from the 3rd Gen RX7 world (A maintenance and reliability nightmare). The above just blows my mind.

Thanks, this eases my mind about my future purchase.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, good as always. The BWM was only the second time that I did not buy Japanese and regeted it both times. I had 2 MR2's, the first one I sold it with 220k miles and no problems in the 10 years. Same for all my other Toyota's. I expect the same from an Acura.

Thanks for the info, good as always. The BWM was only the second time that I did not buy Japanese and regeted it both times. I had 2 MR2's, the first one I sold it with 220k miles and no problems in the 10 years. Same for all my other Toyota's. I expect the same from an Acura.

and to compare toyota to honda... I've owned LS430, SC430, SC400, SC300, RX300 all from Toyota/Lexus, and from Honda/Acura I've owned CRX, CL 3.0, NSX, RL 3.5, TL 3.2...

so I've owned quite a variety of Toyota and Honda cars and I can EASILY say that the Honda make has been a better build and more reliable build in my experience.

My LS430 had all sorts of little bugs (bad amp, bad nav reader, failing window regulator...), RX300 had a notoriously bad transmission that fails before 100k, SC430 crappy Mark Levinson speakers (I just bought that car so I havent had other issues with it)

Now to compare those to my last Acura that I owned, an 02 RL that I drove till 160,000 miles in the entire ownership of the car I replaced spark plugs, brake pads 2 times, battery once, one headlight bulb and one tail light bulb. that's it! (I finally changed the timing belt/water pump at 160 right before selling the car). That RL along with my old CL 3.0 were the most reliable cars i've ever driven.

...so expect nothing less from the NSX. :)

All good points on this thread. Let me add my own perspective to help you.

Putting looks aside especially comparing 91-01 vs. 02+ a particular point I wrestled with was the economics of it all. Since you're planning to daily drive this car are you worried about the relative hit to depreciation from the newer vs. older NSX? ...let's assume you are

Therefore...
If you plan to rack up 10-15k miles per year on a new bubble eye then I suspect the bang for your buck will wear out very quickly. The rate of depreciation for a 100k mile 02+ bubble eye is way steeper than say even a 150k mile 91. (btw.. isn't it great that we can talk about our cars reaching 100k so casually? I love the NSX)

I also love the 6 spd. I love the 3.2 motor but I don't love it that much to spend 20k more. I'm very happy with my 3.0 but admittedly looking into doing a gear swap.

IMO: Find a well sorted early gen. Spend $4-5k on repairs (and I mean everything such as clutch, TB/WP, master cyls, hoses, etc..) and you won't have a worry for a long long time. If you decide to sell in a few years depreciation would not have hit you as bad either esp since you plan to daily drive this thing.

If you're not worried the economics then by all means get the best car you can afford. Life is too short!

Putting looks aside especially comparing 91-01 vs. 02+ a particular point I wrestled with was the economics of it all. Since you're planning to daily drive this car are you worried about the relative hit to depreciation from the newer vs. older NSX? ...let's assume you are

Therefore...
If you plan to rack up 10-15k miles per year on a new bubble eye then I suspect the bang for your buck will wear out very quickly. The rate of depreciation for a 100k mile 02+ bubble eye is way steeper than say even a 150k mile 91. (btw.. isn't it great that we can talk about our cars reaching 100k so casually? I love the NSX)

I also love the 6 spd. I love the 3.2 motor but I don't love it that much to spend 20k more. I'm very happy with my 3.0 but admittedly looking into doing a gear swap.

IMO: Find a well sorted early gen. Spend $4-5k on repairs (and I mean everything such as clutch, TB/WP, master cyls, hoses, etc..) and you won't have a worry for a long long time. If you decide to sell in a few years depreciation would not have hit you as bad either esp since you plan to daily drive this thing.

If you're not worried the economics then by all means get the best car you can afford. Life is too short!

RYU, well said and couldn't agree with the you more on the daily driver and depreciation comments. Something that should weigh in on the decision....

Therefore...

Good points again, keep em coming. I am not too worried about depreciation as I plan to keep for 6,7 years or longer. So what ever money I can get out of it will be an extra benifit of getting to drive the car so long. My budget should allow me to get an 00 or 01 that has up to date service should I go that way and I am leaning more that way.

I was there once, endep up with a 97, tried them all ... First I said, well, I had a S2000, a extremely fun car to drive, not as prestigious, not as "special" and no exotic (ex-supercar from the 90's either) ..yes 9K RPM's are fun but, there's no torque, is weird, but our NSX's are not "Torque monsters" either ..

I bought my used (with 12K miles) S2k @ 24K I believe years ago, 3 years later prices for a 02 S2k were around 12K (realistic price for private sale) ... that was almost 2 years ago.

Reasons I got a 97:

OK I sold my S2k for 12K (that was after I bought the NSX) .. my budget was 30K, I test drove a 91, a 93, and another 94 I believe, one thing I noticed, me and my gf, this NSX's were HOT, but, not much "faster" than our cherished fun to drive, and only 50K miles S2k .. they were faster, no doubt, but didn't justify for me to spend the extra 18K on them (91-96 with a bit more miles than the S2000) ....

Then I decided to go up to 40K (yikesssss) but the 3.2 with the 6speed really has a noticeable difference, in performance, I love NSX's regardless, but I think that If I came from a Prelude o a car like that, I'd be happy, but the S2k transition made me take the extra balls to spend more but get a car I wouldn't regret.

So the looks are a bit outdated, yes, but with spacers, lowered, 02 Wheels and rear -and other mods- I am a happy camper now.

As "heySkippy" said, the sweet spot are the 97-01's ... I LOVE the bug-eyes, but man, they are a lot more $$ and still they don't really make me think about doing a 02+ upgrade on the front, I quite frankly, LOVE the pop-up eyes :)

As the prices right now are so low, I wouldn't even hesitate to look for a 97+ ... I remember in 07 I almost bought a 93 for 36K .... prices are amazing now, GO FOR IT!!!

Oscar

PS: either way, I am sure you will be very very happy, NSX's regardless of the year, they are all amazing cars!

====
02+ are hot cars

DSC00046.jpg

but a 91-01 "refreshened" car can look as hot if not even more :)

na2_8.jpg

But that is MY Opinion, I might be wrong.

Back