• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Should I buy an older or newer NSX

Oscar - great write! I always enjoy your posts, they are always from the heart! I really appreciate your sentiments and perspective and you KNOW I like long write ups....:biggrin:

Mr. B, I'm gonna post a Tolstoy level writeup if/when I get mine, just for you :biggrin:

But I'll need my username change to go through first. I figure I don't deserve an 'NSX' in my name until I actually own one. But once that happens, hoo boy!

Is it me or do pop up headlights look like a desperate hope for acura to copy the 360 as some sorta afterthought.

It simply takes the agressive mean stealth look away from the nsx.

If I didn't know any better, people that like the fixed headlights really wanted to show off that they can buy 2 NA1 for what they wasted $ on.

When I bought my car I had my mind set on an '02, after looking I found my car (95) and decided that instead of spending the money on a '02, I would be better off with a car I could afford to mod, after the dust settles, I would probably be able to have bought the most expensive '05 car in existence - I could have bought a NEW '05 at retail!!! and then some.

But my car is built the way I want it now.

Last edited:
pointers...

~ no one here can honestly say they prefer a 91 if they can get a 2005 model...
Are you fer'real?!?

Is it me or do pop up headlights look like a desperate hope for acura to copy the 360 as some sorta afterthought...
It is/was a sign of the times. The '84-'96 C4 Corvette, '90-'93 3000GT, '89-'97 BMW 8-series, '89-'97 Mazda MX-5 Miata, '89-'95 Ferrari 348, '91-'01 NSX, '93-'95 FD RX-7 :)D), '95-'99 Ferrari 355, '97-'04 C5 Corvette etc' all featured flip'up headlamps.

If anything, the '99-'05 Ferrari 360 likely emulated the '94-'96 Mitsu' 3000GT fixed headlights. And the '02-'05 NSX followed suit. And then the '04+ C6 Corvette followed further.

BATMANS said:
It simply takes the aggressive mean stealth look away from the nsx...
I agree, well in terms of the essence of the NSX (a trademark low-level frontal area perceivable signature from a distant vantage).

I *believe* changing pedestrian-safety / front-impact / crash-test results hastened the changes from '91-'01 to '02-'05 in terms of front-fascia, just as much as then-current styling/design norms (ie. fixed bulbous projector headlamps). Though I can't substantiate it through links, facts, or the such - but from a handful of convo's I had w/ various people in the industry, the NSX'es curtain-call was hastened ue to USDM NHSTA/DOT safety/crash-test changes.

Last edited:
Mr. B, I'm gonna post a Tolstoy level writeup if/when I get mine, just for you :biggrin:

But I'll need my username change to go through first. I figure I don't deserve an 'NSX' in my name until I actually own one. But once that happens, hoo boy!

Well Uber - I'll be looking forward to that! I appreciate the sentiment and the humor! A Tolstoy level writeup - that's one to remember. I'm still chuckling over that!

When I bought my car I had my mind set on an '02, after looking I found my car (95) and decided that instead of spending the money on a '02, I would be better off with a car I could afford to mod, after the dust settles, I would probably be able to have bought the most expensive '05 car in existence - I could have bought a NEW '05 at retail!!! and then some.

But my car is built the way I want it now.

Well it looks like an 05 - but the interior I suppose would give it away. You must have done a bunch - are you happy with your choice - I assume you are! Looks good Angus. I like em all - I just prefer the concealed headlights but the 02+ are still beautiful cars and the interior upgrades are really nice! If I could do anything and had plenty of cash I'd put the latest interior in mine with the silver seats!

Did you do anything to your interior Angus?

Is it me or do pop up headlights look like a desperate hope for acura to copy the 360 as some sorta afterthought.

It simply takes the agressive mean stealth look away from the nsx.

If I didn't know any better, people that like the fixed headlights really wanted to show off that they can buy 2 NA1 for what they wasted $ on.

I like the looks of all NSXs, but I prefer the newer headlights, it's just a more modern look IMO.
I don't think I wasted my money either, if I can afford, why not get it?

I think a lot of people agree. I see a lot of people doing 02 conversions on 91-01 models, but I have yet to see anyone do a 91-01 conversion on a 02-05 model.

To me, it almost sounds like a jealousy thing, saying those with an 02 or newer are showing off, I mean really, really????

Last edited:
......I see a lot of people doing 02 conversions on 91-01 models, but I have yet to see anyone do a 91-01 conversion on a 02-05 model.

To me, it almost sounds like a jealousy thing, saying those with an 02 or newer are showing off, I mean really, really????

When I had my NSX repainted for rock chips, the body shop said that he was able to obtain used 02+ conversion parts that would add another $500. Very cheap indeed.

I spent the weekends looking at online pics and some 02+ in person and just can't get over that frog/toad eyes side profile - and the fact that it's cheap plastic that will fade over time. I told him that I'll pass. What I should have done was procure that conversion kit and make a killing on selling it to a local NSXr.

1998-acura-nsx-front_view.jpg

000223.jpg

To me the pop up head lights are one of the best looking (8-series BMW too) since they are low profile. Pop up = more "technology" since it's a motorized feature.

I'm certainly not jealous. I perceive my decision to be a matter of (good) taste and allowed me to shift my NSX-related finances/budget towards more important matters like aerodynamics, suspension, wheels/tires, supercharger, exhaust, etc.

Doing a face lift without adding significant power (the small increments in power for the NA2 is pathetic) looks poser to me.

Ribbit......

Last edited:
:biggrin:You guys crack me up!

Sorry the 02+ plastic will not fade if well taken cared of - mine is perfect with clear bra. As with any car left in direct sunlight, damage will occur and you can cite any issue with either design all day long. In the end, guys with pop-up lights stand behind their car which is normal but again the fact remains: Who the heck does a 91+ look for a 02+ car? NO ONE! :biggrin:

Actually when I first started shopping for NSX's, I like the flip up too but quite frankly it's DATED technology. Unless you have MikeC's setup with the dual projectors which I know most of you don't, I would take the 02+ lights anyday and I think most of you older cars would too if you had the choice.

I have 2 cars that have the plastic bubble fairings over the headlights and both of them look like hell after the sun fades them. Sure the pop-ups are dated, but at least after 20 years they still look good. I would guess that less than 1% of the pop-up owners actually convert to the 02+ design. It costs over $7K to do it right.

The only benefit I see to owning a newer NSX is the 03+ to get the stitching on the dash. Thats about it. An early car is lighter, stiffer, and an NA1 with headers and a good exhaust is just as quick or quicker than the NA2.

Best of Luck to the OP for making a decision :smile:

I like the looks of all NSXs, but I prefer the newer headlights, it's just a more modern look IMO.
I don't think I wasted my money either, if I can afford, why not get it?

I think a lot of people agree. I see a lot of people doing 02 conversions on 91-01 models, but I have yet to see anyone do a 91-01 conversion on a 02-05 model.

I don't think it's jealousy at all, I think it's just an opinion. Of the fixed lights I have seen that I like on the NSX the only ones I like are the ones that are flush with the hoodline. I think the opinion might be different if this is what Honda did when they made the mod, but I think many people think it screws up the lines of the car in the way they did it.

and why in the hell would you pay more for an 02 to spend the money to convert it to a pre-02 look, just buy an 01 and be done with it. I am sure many people did exactly that, bought an 01 when they could of afforded an 02 because they prefered the looks. They might of changed the rear valnce but prefrered the older headlights.

The example you gave is of people that could not of afforded an 02 so they bought an older model, early 90s and then modded it.

That said, I think the NSX has the nicest pop up lights of any car I have ever seen. Some old pop up lights look dated, think old firebirds etc, I don't feel the same way about the NSX's headlights, even 20 years later.

The reason I said jealousy thing was because of this statement:

"If I didn't know any better, people that like the fixed headlights really wanted to show off that they can buy 2 NA1 for what they wasted $ on. "

I didn't buy the car to show off, I bought it because I liked it, just like I liked my previous NSXs. I just like the look of this one better.

When I see someone in a Lambo, etc, I don't say look at this tool, showing off..if you can afford it, good for you. I jsut don't get the statement. Since I could afford to buy an 02 should I have nought 2 earlier models and then I wouldn't be showing off?

Of course no one is going to buy an 02+ and change it to pop ups, it was a joke.

I like the looks of my bug eyes, over the pop ups, someone shoot me! GHEEEEEEEZZZZ!!!

It's just personal preference. When the 02 first came out I still prefer the pop-up. But in a few years I started to like the fixed headlight over the pop-up because it started to look dated. However I think both of them look good, just different. It's like both Marisa Miller and Megan Fox offer to sleep with you, and you can only choose one. There is no wrong answer, just personal preference. You won't be able to sleep with both of them, but luckily, you can buy both the pop-eye and fixed light if you want to.

Thanks to all the input from everyone here I have found the car for me. It is an 00 black on black beauty with 59K miles, Comptech supercharger, headers and exaust, HKS intake, coil-over shocks and more. Very clean inside and out. I have drove it and will have a PPI on Thursday morning by Ramon at Niguel Motors.

Thanks to all the input from everyone here I have found the car for me. It is an 00 black on black beauty with 59K miles, Comptech supercharger, headers and exaust, HKS intake, coil-over shocks and more. Very clean inside and out. I have drove it and will have a PPI on Thursday morning by Ramon at Niguel Motors.

Pics Puhleeeese :biggrin:

Congrats!

Thats a nice selection you have there. How do you decide which one to take? :smile:

I couldn't decide which i liked better... :biggrin:

4880900916_8e933cc656_b.jpg

I am finally a proud owner of an NSX.:smile: I picked up my black beauty Thursday afternoon after having a PPI done and getting it registered. I will post pictures of it after going to the HugaBuga window repair event here in SoCal on Saturday. I do not need the repair but want to start meeting other owners in the area. All the guys at work were dooling over it today. None of them could beleive it is 10 years old.

I want to thank everyone who provided their input here, especialy "mnkmoves" and "tbromley" for their extra input and "orisis_x11" for the details on pricing for all the years and common service and repairs. It all helped me in making my decision.

I probably will be swapping out the RPS clutch as it is too stiff for a daily driver. I hope to sell it as it only has 12k miles on it or trade for a low milage OEM one. Or maybe find a good condition used OEM flywheel and buy a new disk, plate and throwout bearing. Trying to keep the cost down.

Last edited:
congratulation on what seems to be a fine purchase.Of course the blower adds to the fun..best of luck with it.

I am finally a proud owner of an NSX.:smile: I picked up my black beauty Thursday afternoon after having a PPI done and getting it registered. I will post pictures of it after going to the HugaBuga window repair event here in SoCal on Saturday. I do not need the repair but want to start meeting other owners in the area. All the guys at work were dooling over it today. None of them could beleive it is 10 years old.

I want to thank everyone who provided their input here, especialy "mnkmoves" and "tbromley" for their extra input and "orisis_x11" for the details on pricing for all the years and common service and repairs. It all helped me in making my decision.

I probably will be swapping out the RPS clutch as it is too stiff for a daily driver. I hope to sell it as it only has 12k miles on it or trade for a low milage OEM one. Or maybe find a good condition used OEM flywheel and buy a new disk, plate and throwout bearing. Trying to keep the cost down.

Get the RPS carbon clutch its light like stock and can hold up to 750rwhp and I never smelled it even when I slipped it during a couple of track runs (315rwtq) I had the single RPS and hated driving my car with it.

Last edited:
Back