• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New owner. Mini fix it / build thread

Hello all. I bought my NSX from a local prime member not too long ago. When I bought it, I nit picked every little detail about the car and there were some issues that really bothered me about it. This thread documents my build so far, which has really just been erasing the previous owners mark, and making the car my own.

So here is how the car looked when I first bought her:

photo7-1.jpg

Wings west kit, some homie chromies and an unpainted carbon fiber hood (not pictured, since sold).

The things that I had issues with the most were the wheels. I hate the polished look, especially on a car like the NSX. Something more subtle and clean is more my taste. So I did some shopping and bought some factory gunmetal 16/17.

photo15.jpg

photo14-1.jpg

At this point, I was content with the way the car sat, but I started nit picking again and started noticing some fitment issues on the wings west kit. I was looking for ways to fix the fitment issues, but came to the realization that it would never fit like OEM. This would always bother me. Whoever installed the skirts and front lip did a hack job of doing so. I dug a little deeper, and my worst fear was confirmed. . . .double sided sticky tape. EVERYWHERE. Don't get me wrong, Double sided sticky tape is a useful tool when used in moderation. I don't believe using it to attach body panels to a car as a proper fasten. The skirts and the lip HAD to go. Not to mention, the skirts had custom framework installed on the inside to help prevent the notorious wings west sagging, so on top of not fitting correctly, they also weighed about 15 lbs each.

IMG_2831.jpg

IMG_2832.jpg

bumper off, wings west lip off.

With the side skirts off, I had a lot of work ahead of me to get the double sided tape off. There was tons of the stuff across the entire rocker panels on both sides of the car. I tried goof off with a plastic razor blade, took forever. I tried 3M adhesive remover, worked a little better, but still took forever. I tried lighter fluid, worked the best, but still took forever. So I broke out the big guns and bought an eraser wheel. This thing is AWESOME. kills double sided sticky tape in minutes.

IMG_2842.jpg

Only drawback is that it makes a ton of smoke and smells like ass when you're using it. it basically burns off the residue without burning through the paint.

process:

IMG_2844-1.jpg

After:

IMG_2845.jpg

So with the bumper off, I tried salvaging what I could with the bumper cover. The eraser wheel took off the double sided tape, but the cover was still all scratched up, bug gutted, pitted, and gross looking. The proper way of fixing this was to send it out for paint. So I got a hold of my painter, and ordered up a Shine GT lip. At this point, I thought I might as well send every removable panel that needed work to the painter. So off came the scratched up rear spoiler, and I also sent the factory side skirts to him.

Another thing I found wrong with the car, the previous owner had a replica NSX-R carbon fiber spoiler with an LED. Whoever installed the spoiler had cut the wires, twisted them together, and covered with electrical tape. This is a small mistake, but again, I am bothered by the littlest things that I had to do a proper fix.

cut wires:

IMG_2849.jpg

2Pin male/female connectors I had laying around:

IMG_2850.jpg

Splice and solder one wire:

IMG_2851.jpg

Shrink tube:

IMG_2852.jpg

Both wires:

IMG_2853.jpg

Test by completing circuit:

IMG_2854.jpg

Shrink tube both wires:

IMG_2855.jpg

Done:

IMG_2856.jpg

Got the panels back from the painter and went to town. I requested that the horizontal grille be painted black for a cleaner look. Also painted the Shine GT lip.

IMG_2858.jpg

IMG_2859.jpg

IMG_2860.jpg

Fixed spoiler 2P connector:

IMG_2862.jpg

First piece to go on, rear spoiler:

IMG_2863.jpg

Next up were the factory sides. I bought these OEM Honda clips, and they are not cheap. needed 18, ended up being over $100. for CLIPS. I tried using others as alternatives, ie 3.5RL clips, 3.2TL clips, RSX clips, and I gave up after that. Whatever, beats using double sided sticky tape.

IMG_2857.jpg

IMG_2864.jpg

IMG_2865.jpg

<3 OEM fitment.

Then I started assembling the front bumper cover and support.

IMG_2866.jpg

this thing weighs a ton and it was quite the mission to get it hanging on the car by myself, but I did it.

IMG_2867.jpg

IMG_2868.jpg

With some minor adjustments here and there, I got it sitting flush with the fenders and in line with the headlights/hood.

IMG_2870.jpg

IMG_2871.jpg

IMG_2872.jpg

IMG_2873.jpg

. . .ugggh, those rear spats. not a fan. but unsure of which direction I want to go with them.

first wash after the transformation:

IMG_2874.jpg

IMG_2876.jpg

sittin pretty:

IMG_2880.jpg

My painter did an excellent job with all the panels I gave him. They match almost flawlessly with the rest of the car.

So there it is so far. Finally everything that was wrong with the car is fixed. I've only had it for about a month, but I've done some work to make her mine. I have some more planned and will update this thread as I install more, fix more, mod more.

I think it looks cherry ;)

The best looking elements of the WW Kit are the lip and side skirts, I mean if you can't tolerate with them, the rear spats ought to be the first thing to go.

Since you like OEM, the 02+ Rear Valeance is a clear winner.

Good job to everything you've done so far and since these were only considered a "mini fix it" to you, I can't imagine what a REAL fix it will be to your definition :eek:

Can't wait to see more from you, keep it up! :smile:

OEM 91 valence will look better with the current setup since it flows with the rest of the body. The rounded shape of the 02 valence does not flow nicely with the 91 sideskirt. I know because this is my current set up. I will get the 02 sideskirt when I have the money. :biggrin:

I'm sorry but it still looks like a wing-west-bolt-on-civic.....
the factory curves on this car were just perfect.

good job in getting back to close to factory, much much improved... with the rims, love em, but 16/17 is too small, there is a factory-look-a-like combination of 17/18s (seven spoke) and they would look better, i'm looking for them myself.

I'm sorry but it still looks like a wing-west-bolt-on-civic.....
the factory curves on this car were just perfect.

good job in getting back to close to factory, much much improved... with the rims, love em, but 16/17 is too small, there is a factory-look-a-like combination of 17/18s (seven spoke) and they would look better, i'm looking for them myself.

Can you create a new Wiki entry on what MUST be done to EVERY NSX? You seem to know for absolute sure so I think it would be valuable to folks like the OP in the future so they know what they *must* do with *their* car :cool:

Also, you should go visit some of the "HELLA FLUSH!"... "SLAMMED ON 20s!!!!"... and "JGTC WIDEBODY YO!!!!" threads. They REALLY need you over there :tongue:

Looks good.

Nice attention to detail.

Although I would suggest 02+ side skirts from downforce to match your front lip (much improved than the WW) and to match the rear spats. Work looks clean though.

Thanks all for the feedback. I try and keep my work clean and tidy as working on cars happens to be both a hobby and my profession. I'm working on deleting the rear spats and having my stock valances fixed (more double sided tape and a rivet holding it on). Also have some suspension work planned. As I said the car is still fairly new to me and I only have so much time to work on it. So far, owning this beast is a dream come true!

Beauty. Love your attention to detail also. Good move on the Solaris Silver wheels. I'm in agreement with you about the WW spats, don't quite flow with the OEM side skirts, the 02+ rear valence might be a consideration. However, the DF 02+ side skirts are a good thought although if you're satisfied with the OEM look after all of your good work, that's all that matters. It's all about making it yours. Welcome---

Last edited:
OEM 91 valence will look better with the current setup since it flows with the rest of the body. The rounded shape of the 02 valence does not flow nicely with the 91 sideskirt. I know because this is my current set up. I will get the 02 sideskirt when I have the money. :biggrin:

LOL!!! Since when was money ever an issue to you? Especially just a pair of side skirts, nice joke though :wink:

LOL!!! Since when was money ever an issue to you? Especially just a pair of side skirts, nice joke though :wink:

LOL. Caught red handed. Hahaha. I might get a new set of wheels first end of this year and may order the sideskirts from DF. :biggrin:

Back to the thread. Get rid of those WW spats. They don't flow with the current setup. 91 oem valence is just fine.

Congrats on your new buy!!! these few changes gave her that nice cleaner look you wanted. Thanks for those great pics, it really help us share the entire journey w/you! I noticed that the front emblem is gone, did it leave small holes(you filled it in) or double sided tape? IMO you should've kept the WW skirts, get a close fit as possible so it can flow w/the rest of the kit! Since you removed the front logo you should remove the rear "Acura" on rear middle lens(there are plenty DYS threads out there).
Also how many miles on it and we need some interior pics!

Can you create a new Wiki entry on what MUST be done to EVERY NSX? You seem to know for absolute sure so I think it would be valuable to folks like the OP in the future so they know what they *must* do with *their* car :cool:

Also, you should go visit some of the "HELLA FLUSH!"... "SLAMMED ON 20s!!!!"... and "JGTC WIDEBODY YO!!!!" threads. They REALLY need you over there :tongue:

no no, you misunderstand, I agree that each of us have their own personal taste with their car! I'm just saying I agree with "tasteful" modifications to make the car look more in tune with our time period. I myself have made modifications including HID for the lights, exhaust, headers, rims and lighter battery. They are all "tasteful" and don't alter the perception of how the car really was from the beginning.. In my opinion, body kits are a NONO and only contribute pounds of weight and make the car look more like a civic. Thats all I meant.

Thanks.

oem 91 valence will look better with the current setup since it flows with the rest of the body. The rounded shape of the 02 valence does not flow nicely with the 91 sideskirt. I know because this is my current set up. I will get the 02 sideskirt when i have the money. :biggrin:

+1...

Bravo, sir. BRAVO! :smile:

I love it when owners take the time to do things right, especially when restoring the NSX to its OEM glory. This thread should get + 1000 over the "Slammed on chromed 20's yo" and dreadful widebody kit horror shows we see around here sometimes. You sir have done a great job and it is NSXs like yours that get the tip of the hat and respect from the auto enthusiast world. Keep it up! :D

Bravo, sir. BRAVO! :smile:

I love it when owners take the time to do things right, especially when restoring the NSX to its OEM glory. This thread should get + 1000 over the "Slammed on chromed 20's yo" and dreadful widebody kit horror shows we see around here sometimes. You sir have done a great job and it is NSXs like yours that get the tip of the hat and respect from the auto enthusiast world. Keep it up! :D

Thanks man!

UPDATE.

The mod bug hit. My plans to keep the car semi-stock changed. I wanted to change it up a bit and keep it clean and original, with a hint of modified. First order of business was the exhaust. After hearing my boy Tae's (FD3SNSX) exhaust, I HAD to get one.

Pride V1 Single tip:

IMG_2975.jpg

IMG_2976.jpg

Out with the old ark DTS:

IMG_2977.jpg

In with the new:

IMG_2978.jpg

. . .love the look and the sound! Mark from pride is an awesome guy to deal with too!

Next up was to take off the wings west rear spats and repair and repaint my beat up rear valence.

IMG_3033.jpg

IMG_3034.jpg

. . .sorry no after pics. Looks much better than it did before though.

Suspension was next. I debated getting a set of coilovers, but I already had the Bilstein's on the lower perch. I opted to match them with a set of lowering springs. Tein S-Tech ordered from SOS.

IMG_3037.jpg

old:

IMG_3038.jpg

new:

IMG_3041.jpg

IMG_3042.jpg

fronts:

IMG_3043.jpg

New stance:

IMG_3044.jpg

IMG_3045.jpg

My coworker hookin it up!

IMG_3046.jpg

waxed and buffed:

IMG_3047.jpg

So now I needed some wheels to compliment the drop. One of my good friends was able to get me a GREAT deal on these RPF1's. Standard NSX fitment. Double staggered 17x8+35 and 18X10+38.

IMG_3064.jpg

IMG_3065.jpg

This is the second set of RPF1's I have owned. I had a set on my previous S2000 and they are a good wheel for the buck. Lightweight, strong and are aesthetically pleasing. The standard silver finish was too plain for me, so after some thought, I decided to have them redone in a custom color.

NH-0

IMG_3075.jpg

IMG_3076.jpg

TYPE-R Championship White!!

Tires: Falken FK452 215/40/17 275/35/18

IMG_3077.jpg

Mounted up:

IMG_3079.jpg

IMG_3080.jpg

IMG_3082.jpg

Finished for now:

IMG_3083.jpg

IMG_3084.jpg

IMG_3085.jpg

IMG_3087.jpg

Overall impressions: I love it! The white/red combo has always been a favorite of mine. You don't see it too much on NSX's so I thought I'd give it a shot. I feel like it came out well. The white really makes the car "pop".

The suspension, wheel/tire setup really changed the characteristics of the car for the better. It feels more stable and grippy. Just waiting for a nice day when it's not all wet and gross out to REALLY drive it.

Exhaust note is perfect in my mind. Not ricey at all- almost exotic sounding.

Glad to have finally got rid of those WW spats. . .

Last edited:
Back