• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2000 NSX-T JH4NA2168YT000175

2000 NSX-T

How much appx. would it be to repair the following? I found a decent 2000 Yellow NSX-T with 16k miles about 15 minutes from my house and would definetly like this car ($22.5k asking price)

Here's the list:

Windshield Glass

Head Lamp, Left

Hood

Tail Lamp Left

Fender Left

Bumper Cover Front

Suspension Front L.

Air Bag, Driver

Air Bag, Passenger

Tail Lamp Right

While this is not NSX specific.. it applies to all cars.

Always assume the damage is 100% worse than it apears to the naked eye. Where exactly was it hit? Even a light hit can cause frame damage.. especialy in an aluminum frame such as the NSX. You will need to have the frame inspected, and all suspension components as well. Also, electrical gremlens can creep up if the car has sat in the elements w/o glass in it...

I've been told the NSX frame/suspension is not readily repairable like a steel frame is... you might want to confirm that before you purchase anything.

Also, are you looking to do OEM rebuild, or will aftemarket components sufice?

MM

Also, with any non-fixed roof car.. if they are hit, it usualy torques the body pretty bad. You can do a quick test.. see if the stock top fits back on w/o gaps or having to muscle it into place. Targa tops can be tricky to fix.. I'm guessing very hard when dealing w/ an exotic frame.

MM

Originally posted by MadMaxx:
While this is not NSX specific.. it applies to all cars.

Good advice, MadMaxx.

Here's another piece of advice. A crash recovery NSX may be available at an attractive price. But it's virtually certain that the current owner looked into how much it would cost to fix it properly, and how much it would be worth when fixed properly. HE decided that it's not worth fixing. That should tell you that you're likely to come to the same conclusion. I wouldn't even waste the effort trying to estimate how much it would cost to fix up. And, as MadMaxx rightly points out, such estimates (particularly by those not in the body repair business) often turn out to be low, once you actually get the car on premises and opened up. So you have a bad deal to begin with, and a lot of risk that it may be even worse than you think.

Cliff's Notes version: Stay away.

Just like any good restoration... take what you think it will cost to finish, then double it
smile.gif

One side of my family is in the auto repair business. They do a great deal of wreck repairs on salvage cars for rental purposes. You would be amazed at what it costs to repair an even "lightly" damaged car (to the naked eye) once you start getting into it. Even with dealer discounce, price of parts ads up FAST + Labor is always a kick in the butt.

I tend to stay away from wrecked exotics as repairs. While some I would have no problem doing some cars(Viper... easy to repair) I would shy away from the higher end exotics due to their body materials and parts availablilty (Ferrari, Lambo, etc.). It can be done... but when it's all finished, you still have a salvage title car and a high risk of having more problems (eletrical) down the road.

MM

well, thanks for the help guys! Kinda dampered my day but it's better that way right?
smile.gif

check out the car: www.ecocar.com, in the top right goto Acura and click on the 2000 NSX-T for $22,500...tell me what you think

Now that I think about it, that car has a busted windshield and the picture is taken in the RAIN

Originally posted by Brian2by2:
check out the car: www.ecocar.com in the top right goto Acura and click on the 2000 NSX-T for $22,500...tell me what you think

I think:

a) You need to remove the comma from the website name for it to work.

b) The car is even worse than I expected.

c) You should stay away.

I don't understand why you're kidding yourself into thinking you can buy a car that's worth $55-60K by spending something less than that amount. If you want a nice 2000 NSX-T, that's what you need to spend. If you buy this one and fix it up, you'll probably be spending at least as much, maybe a lot more, but when you're done, it probably won't be as nice as one that's never been wrecked.

Yep... I told you, wrecked cars will have MUCH more faults than what is quickly visable.

No winshield = it shattered = scratches to the vinyl in the dash and that stuff gets into the vents (glass dusts). Water gets in, damages leather/vinyl when it warms back up. Mildew. Electrical connections start to rust/corrode from contact w/ rain water. Carpets are ruined.

So right there, you have a huge focus on the interior, and you haven't even started on the body, frame, suspension or glass!
smile.gif

Aren't reparing wrecks fun? LOL

MM

Wow.. just looked at the pics.

Right off the bat, I can tell you that the windshield piller is warped (told you.. targa+wreck = BAD), and I suspect the entire frame is also. Not to mention basicly everything from the firewall forward will need replaceing, frame will prob not be usable.

fenders, rad support, rad, ac system, brake system, wheels, tires, brakes, fenders, hood, windshield, front fascia, fascia brackets, spare tire assembly, marker lights, headlight assemblies, front suspension. ....thats just bulk parts, you will also need little things like vac lines, plugs, stickers, bla bla..nicke and dime stuff.

Best bet is to stay away unless the parts are worth more than the selling price as a whole (doesn't look like it from what i've read).

MM

Check out my old car here. Doesn't look to bad, does it? Hood was ok, as well as the right side of the car, and ran great.... Only $43,000 to fix it. How's that for an eye opener. A salvage company bought it from my insurance company for 20k. It was a 97 with 14k miles. I'm still waiting for it to show up with a clean title AFTER it went thru a Florida wash cycle. RIP

Brian2by2,
It will probably cost you more to fix that car up than to buy a similar Nsx albeit an earlier model (~1991-1997). Also, a damaged frame on an Nsx is very hard to fix. I think I read somewhere that it requires a special tungsten welder to fix aluminum frames.
I am sure not many of us will recommend this Nsx as there may be developing problems with it in the future. If you can, try to look for a cleaner Nsx; it may cost more, but it won't cheapen the Nsx experience.

Wow Anytime. That looks pretty bad.
Air bags, front nose swayed and lifted.
The rear wheel look back too. 20k!!!
They get some unbelievable prices on NSX salvage.

Back