• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1991 "Factory Fresh" Build

I figured I would start my own thread to document my progress on bringing my 1991 back to showroom condition. Here's what has been done so far:

CV boots
All 23 cooling hoses
OEM airbox
Fuel injector seals
OEM coolant tank
NA2 Headers
Taillight Gaskets
Spool Valve Gaskets
JDM Gear Stack
Full Trans Rebuild
NSX-R spring plate in differential
Clutch master and slave

Here is what is on deck:

02+ Wheels painted gunmetal
Valve covers powercoated OEM NSX-R by Lithimus
Install black carpet
NA2 NSX-R Suspension (if I can find one lol)
Refinish door switch panels to OEM gunmetal
"Sudesh" Cruise Control mod
Install OEM shift boot with new leather
New leather for e-brake + SOS button
FINALLY re-aim headlights properly
Re-wire and re-locate alarm unit
Install kill switch

Pics to follow as the winter progresses...

I like the 04-05 shift knob but at 500 bucks new from dealer I will pass

cant wait to see pics

Ivory interior. Call me old school, but I am going back to the OEM leather boot (with new leather). I think it looks classy against the Ivory trim. Right now, I have an unknown aluminum shifter knob on the NSX-R boot. Bottom line- the shifter is AMAZING and feels better than even the Type-S knob. Problem is I don't like the way it looks, so it will soon be up for sale in the marketplace lol.

Waiting on a Christmas basket from Shawn to get things moving and then pics to follow (except for the kill switch install- that is TOP SECRET) :D

the box will be complete when my 2002 come back from the welders, i dont wanna give you anything and then Im like Fudge I have to go buy that now. LOL dont worry.

LOL I hate when that happens- done it a few times with my car too.

the box will be complete when my 2002 come back from the welders, i dont wanna give you anything and then Im like Fudge I have to go buy that now. LOL dont worry.

Pics!

Pulling the valve covers during an early-morning blizzard. Had to close the garage door. NSX is being guarded by Draco the german shepherd.

Valve%20Covers%20001_.jpg

Valve covers off and on their way to Garrick (lithimus) for powdercoating NSX-R red. :D

Valve%20Covers%20003_.jpg

Implementing the LarryB method of NSX repair. He told me to do this when working on the car to keep track of everything.

Valve%20Covers%20004_.jpg

Valve cover parts table.

Valve%20Covers%20006_.jpg

Heads safely saran wrapped. Note the yellow varnish on the front cam holders. Should I be concerned?

Valve%20Covers%20007_.jpg

Day two. Pull exhaust and test new Harbor Freight vacuum bleeder on clutch. No blizzard this time, so the door is open to let that Colorado sun in! With me always is Draco, this time laying on his towel.

NSX-002.jpg

My NSX doing the superman pose. :)

NSX-004-stands.jpg

It's off! Wow, the front cat bolts were rusted solid to the studs. It took a combo of PB Blaster, impact wrench, and breaker bar to get them off. You can see on the left pipes where it was melting my valence. Have to adjust the hangers.:frown:

NSX-Exhaust.jpg

Exhaust bolts. The top three are from LarryB's header install last year. Clean, new and put on with anti-sieze. They zipped right off. The bottom three are the ones I had to fight. I nearly gave up, but that PB blaster is amazing stuff. The hardest part was getting the impact socket to fit onto the bolt. The pipe gets in the way.

NSX-003-bolts.jpg

I am going to polish the exhaust, replace all the rusted clamps with stainless and get it looking like new! Wheels are at the powdercoater turning gunmetal. Next tasks are to pull the interior to install black carpet, kill switch, re-wire alarm, and re-upholster the seats with white leather.

Also, the undercarriage is FILTHY. Rather than squirm on my back with a scotchbrite, I'd like to remove as many of the big aluminum beams as possible and clean them on the bench. Some big items are the "boomerang", front beam, and aluminum beams that attach to the unibody. Can someone help me figure out what I can take off without having the subframe and/or engine fall out of the car? :D

Last edited:
nice work, dont forget your special package is almost done.

also PM me with your wish list again. I cant find it I remembered some of the stuff but not everything.

Nice work honcho! Its great to see people making their cars very nice with new oem parts, rather than putting on aftermarket parts that are actually worse than what they took off.

Having the yellowish tint under the valve covers is not an issue. It just tends to darken with age. How often do you change your oil, and what oil and filter do you use?

Also you may want to consider the KW V3 over the NA2-R suspension since it was designed to outperform the R suspension. You will also have the adjustability and greatly improved ride quality, as people have stated the
NA2-R suspension is quite harsh on the street. It may be less expensive too.

Last edited:
Subscribed ...

Restore type builds do seem the way to go ... Good luck with everything. I've had a couple of recommendations for the cleaning product Simple Green. It appears to deliver great results on the chassis and may save you lots of hours on the floor akin bits off ...

http://www.simplegreen.com/products_extreme_motor.php

Hth,

Regards, Paul

Last edited:
Pics!

Pulling the valve covers during an early-morning blizzard. Had to close the garage door. NSX is being guarded by Draco the german shepherd.

Valve%20Covers%20001_.jpg

Valve covers off and on their way to Garrick (lithimus) for powdercoating NSX-R red. :D

Valve%20Covers%20003_.jpg

Implementing the LarryB method of NSX repair. He told me to do this when working on the car to keep track of everything.

Valve%20Covers%20004_.jpg

Valve cover parts table.

Valve%20Covers%20006_.jpg

Heads safely saran wrapped. Note the yellow varnish on the front cam holders. Should I be concerned?

Valve%20Covers%20007_.jpg

Day two. Pull exhaust and test new Harbor Freight vacuum bleeder on clutch. No blizzard this time, so the door is open to let that Colorado sun in! With me always is Draco, this time laying on his towel.

NSX-002.jpg

My NSX doing the superman pose. :)

NSX-004-stands.jpg

It's off! Wow, the front cat bolts were rusted solid to the studs. It took a combo of PB Blaster, impact wrench, and breaker bar to get them off. You can see on the left pipes where it was melting my valence. Have to adjust the hangers.:frown:

NSX-Exhaust.jpg

Exhaust bolts. The top three are from LarryB's header install last year. Clean, new and put on with anti-sieze. They zipped right off. The bottom three are the ones I had to fight. I nearly gave up, but that PB blaster is amazing stuff. The hardest part was getting the impact socket to fit onto the bolt. The pipe gets in the way.

NSX-003-bolts.jpg

I am going to polish the exhaust, replace all the rusted clamps with stainless and get it looking like new! Wheels are at the powdercoater turning gunmetal. Next tasks are to pull the interior to install black carpet, kill switch, re-wire alarm, and re-upholster the seats with white leather.

Also, the undercarriage is FILTHY. Rather than squirm on my back with a scotchbrite, I'd like to remove as many of the big aluminum beams as possible and clean them on the bench. Some big items are the "boomerang", front beam, and aluminum beams that attach to the unibody. Can someone help me figure out what I can take off without having the subframe and/or engine fall out of the car? :D

Oddest observation...in pic #1 car (being guarded by Draco) shows a garage wall just near the passenger door of the NSX, yet the third from the last pic (Superman pose) seems to have been taken from way past where the wall would be...how???

Great work being done, but if you're going for "showroom new" why the customization...?

Easy- I have a 3 car garage. The first two bays stick out about 10 feet further into the driveway than the 3rd bay. :) Thus, the wall you see is that extra 10 feet.

Oddest observation...in pic #1 car (being guarded by Draco) shows a garage wall just near the passenger door of the NSX, yet the third from the last pic (Superman pose) seems to have been taken from way past where the wall would be...how???

Great work being done, but if you're going for "showroom new" why the customization...?

Probably a local computer issue- my work computer never shows all of them. I get the red X's on random ones, but at home it all comes up fine.

I get the same thing sometimes but all my pics are sideways
intill i exit the browser and restart it.

I am trying to keep the "kustom" aspect to a minimum, but most of my mods are in keeping with OEM style. Suspension will be NSX-R OEM. Wheels, while 2002+, are OEM. Valve covers are OEM NSX-R red. Headers are OEM NA2. About the only non-OEM bit is the B&B/RM exhaust but I am keeping it because it nets me 10 whp and sounds so damn good! :D

I am trying to keep the "kustom" aspect to a minimum, but most of my mods are in keeping with OEM style. Suspension will be NSX-R OEM. Wheels, while 2002+, are OEM. Valve covers are OEM NSX-R red. Headers are OEM NA2. About the only non-OEM bit is the B&B/RM exhaust but I am keeping it because it nets me 10 whp and sounds so damn good! :D

Got it...sounds like my attitude as well. I want to combine the best of the NSX line pieces from different years, into my '92. Then it's still "all NSX" yet still improved...make it YOURS!

Rock on!

Back