• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1991 "Factory Fresh" Build

They have a rough-ish texture but I don't mind. It doesn't really show in such a light color. The leather is soft and supple and the kits are very high quality. I was impressed with how sturdy the backing material is and how good the fit was. The nappa leather used in the original seats is very expensive and I think you're going to have a hard time finding it in a pre-made kit. That's the sort of thing for which you need to go to an upholstery shop for a custom job.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll source some stock Nappa leather and see if I can ship it to Leatherseats.com and have them cut & sew me a set from their patterns using my supplied leather. I just do not want the "pig-skin" look in my car.

This weekend's update. I was hoping to get my car back together enough to do a suspension shakedown run, but the alarm-re-wire is taking longer than expected. While most of my work this weekend cannot be shared on a public forum, here are some pics of "secondary" projects I was able to finish. :D

What's that? Battlestar Galactica is back! :D:D

Winter_Refresh57.jpg

I kind of like the look. It flows with the 91-01 rear valence.

Winter_Refresh58.jpg

Here is just some of the previous junk I removed from the car during my re-wire.

Winter_Refresh59.jpg

Here is what must go back in.

Winter_Refresh60.jpg

More of what is going in. Visible are the SOS speaker adapters and SOS oil pressure sender upgrade.

Winter_Refresh61.jpg

Alas, it may be another week or two before she's fully back together and running...

Looks like its coming along well. I'm still not fond of the original tips, but you are right it does kind of flow with the rear valence.

Looks like the weight of that heavy oem exhaust lowered the car for you. Now you dont have to bother with adjusting your coilovers!

Home Stretch! :D

Despite being 5 months pregnant, my wife said she would help with the carpet fitting. How awesome is she?

Winter_Refresh64.jpg

Her steady hand came in handy when cutting the seam for the side sill fitting- only one chance to get it right!

Winter_Refresh65.jpg

Ivory trim on black carpet. It should have been like this from the factory!

Winter_Refresh66.jpg

Winter_Refresh67.jpg

Winter_Refresh68.jpg

Winter_Refresh69.jpg

Looks like the weight of that heavy oem exhaust lowered the car for you. Now you dont have to bother with adjusting your coilovers!

Honestly, I love the sound. And, the extra torque down low is nice too! :D Thanks again, Jon.

Hi,

I like it... it looks cleaner... :wink:

Nuno

Thanks Nuno, everyone seems to like it better. My neighbors came by while I was washing it to take a look. The verdict so far is positive.

Looking good. 5 months, eh. Planning on an NSXPO baby?

Not quite. She is due in the beginning of November. :biggrin:

Bottom line, the car is done!!!!! :D:D:D:D

Well, mostly. I still have to get it aligned and corner balanced. Then, I have to hope e.pie is feeling generous to help me learn how to detail :) (lots of spider webs plus some scratches on the rear fender from all the wrenching). Also, my armrest does not fit properly, since my aftermarket carpet is too thick and the rear panel sticks out too far. I kind of jammed the armrest in place, but it's not right. Also, I did not get the SOS oil pressure sender upgrade fitted, nor was I able to install Hugo's window regulator pulleys. Finally, once the ride height is set, I have to get my headlights aimed at Acura. At this point, however, I just want to DRIVE. I was able to do that yesterday (even if just around the block) and it felt great.

2 things, :smile:

Nice rock on her finger you stud you.

and I really like the e-brake where did you get that from LOL:rolleyes:

Looks good. Now just think how much work you would've had to do if you bought that P.O.S. NSX in Florida. Maybe I can ship my car out to you for a refresh! :wink:

any pictures with the seats installed?

Your fellow Black/Ivory owners are patiently waiting...

Last edited:
2 things, :smile:

Nice rock on her finger you stud you.

and I really like the e-brake where did you get that from LOL:rolleyes:

Hah I know quality when I see it- had to lock it up! And yes, the e-brake looks awesome. My 91 has 2002 wheels and a 2004 e-brake lol. Thanks again!

Looks good. Now just think how much work you would've had to do if you bought that P.O.S. NSX in Florida. Maybe I can ship my car out to you for a refresh! :wink:

I shudder when I think of that rat of a NSX. It would have taken years, and I don't know if I ever could have gotten the moldy smell out. Blech. :frown: Honestly, while rewarding, I probably will not do any more heavy work on the car- one refresh was enough! Lots of sweating, blood, cursing and head-scratching. Especially since I have a kid on the way, from now on I'm probably gonna pay someone to do it lol.

any pictures with the seats installed?

Your fellow Black/Ivory owners are patiently waiting...

I'll try to get pics up this weekend. I've been driving it to work all week! :D

What center console plate will you be using for that single din head unit?

I bought a fiberglass blank from Dali, had it cut for single DIN and then covered in black vinyl at Automat interiors in Long Island. Space is left for two 2 1/16" gauges (oil temp and oil pressure) which will eventaully be fitted as my track skillz increase. :)

Nearly Done! :biggrin:

Here are some interior shots. I think it turned out nice, no?

Winter_Refresh84.jpg

Winter_Refresh79.jpg

Winter_Refresh80.jpg

Winter_Refresh81.jpg

Winter_Refresh85.jpg

Winter_Refresh83.jpg

I also finally got around to doing a proper detail after daily driving for 2 weeks lol. Here is what I did, using a Porter Cable 7424XP polisher. MANY thanks to Prime member e.pie, who came over last weekend to give me a clinic on proper detail techniques.

Optimum No-Rinse Waterless Car Wash
Step 1: Optimum Compound II + Lake Country Orange Pad
Step 2: Optimum Polish II + Lake Country White Pad
Step 3: Menzerna Micro Polish + Lake Country Gray Pad
Step 4: Klasse HG Sealant Glaze + Lake Country Red Pad
Step 5: Chemical Guys Limited 50/50 Concours Paste Wax + Lake Country Red Pad
Step 6: Buff out with Black & Decker random orbit buffer + microfiber bonnets

Winter_Refresh70.jpg

Winter_Refresh71.jpg

My attempt at the "twanksta shot" :)

Winter_Refresh72.jpg

Roof

Winter_Refresh73.jpg

Outside reflection. The Optimum products really provide a great result, and the Menzerna just jewels up the paint like nothing else. The 50/50 wax gives dark paint a wet depth better than any wax I have seen except for possibly Pinnacle Souveran.

Winter_Refresh74.jpg

Winter_Refresh75.jpg

Winter_Refresh77.jpg

Winter_Refresh78.jpg

Great looking 91! My ivory carpet looks pretty nasty. Where did u get the carpet and was it easy to install?

Great looking 91! My ivory carpet looks pretty nasty. Where did u get the carpet and was it easy to install?

I bought the carpet from a Prime member for $100 lol. After examining the pieces my guess was he tried to DIY, ran into some snags and just gave up. The driver side was "fitted" with some sort of rubber backing/mold, but it took a lot of work to get it right. The passenger side was just a roll of black carpet lol. It was not even close to fitted and I had to do all the cutting and fitting myself- VERY HARD. But, it was only a hundred bucks! :) If I had to do it over again I would go with the tfent carpet kit. It still requires some fitting, but it is much easier than what I did. After seeing the result, I think the factory Ivory should have come with a black carpet. It really makes the seats and trim pop.

Back