• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1991 "Factory Fresh" Build

Pic 7. Something about a car on jack stands/wheels off just looks awesome to me. Maybe I'm weird.:rolleyes:

Somehow I see and agree with what your saying....

Look forward to seeing the final version Honcho!!

looks like someone is loving their colorado home

Love it. Sunny almost every day, even in winter. :biggrin:

Somehow I see and agree with what your saying....

Look forward to seeing the final version Honcho!!

Did a lot more work this weekend. The interior is out and some of the leather is off of the seats. Pics to follow shortly.

This weekend, I decided to avoid exhaust work and tackle the interior.

Seats coming out!

Winter_Refresh6.jpg

With me as always is Draco, seen here relaxing on his towel. :)

Winter_Refresh7.jpg

Seats are out. I'm going to do new leatherseats. This existing color would work with ivory or tan and these 100% leather covers will be for sale soon. :D

Winter_Refresh8.jpg

Being that I am on a tight budget, I have to apprentice myself on upholstery. How hard can it be?

Winter_Refresh9.jpg

....REALLY HARD! :D But, once you do a few, you get the hang of it.

Winter_Refresh10.jpg

Here are the hog rings. After doing this cushion, I am totally sold on the DocL method of using zip ties instead of hog rings to re-upholster.

Winter_Refresh11.jpg

Now to the interior. It's out!

Winter_Refresh1.jpg

Tan carpet is out- also will be for sale on Prime

Winter_Refresh2.jpg

My workspace is getting cluttered fast!

Winter_Refresh3.jpg

I need to start boxing this stuff up and labelling for re-installation.

Winter_Refresh4.jpg

GREAT IDEA!!!!! You will thank yourself later i promise..

GREAT IDEA!!!!! You will thank yourself later i promise..

Put the screws/nuts/bolts/pins/etc from each & every part you remove into small zip-lock bags...clearly labeled with a black sharpie for what part they are associated with or held on...this saves a load of guess work later.

They're here! Fresh from Garrick, my NSX-R powdercoated valve covers! They look factory perfect.

Winter_Refresh12.jpg

Last edited:
What are you going to do about the carpets (replace or clean)? How many miles on your car? My car is at 148k and I need to take the carpets out to really clean them. How hard after you get the seats out?

Cal
PS used to live in Parker, moved to Washington state about 5 years ago. Really miss the sun, but not the snow. Looks like I need to change my locatin on NSXPrime

Today's progress:

Passenger seat. I am still amazed at the efforts Honda put into weight savings on this car. These seats look like something out of a GT-spec race car.

Winter_Refresh13.jpg

All together, without leather! My foam looks good.

Winter_Refresh14.jpg

As with most DIY work, the more you do, the faster you get. Both seats done in less than 30 minutes! I am a hog ring pro at this point.

Winter_Refresh15.jpg

These are the black clips holding on the bolster leather. Most of mine are aftermarket clips, meaning the shop that did these seats broke most of the OEM clips. So, I just broke all the clips too! :D I am thinking either this or this will work. Beats the millions dollars the dealer wants for them! Anyone with experience here on replacements PLEASE chime in!

Winter_Refresh16.jpg

My leftover hog rings. Saved every one but one! But, I'm going to use zip ties on the reinstall. Also visible are the four OEM clips I managed to save.

Winter_Refresh17.jpg

What are you going to do about the carpets (replace or clean)? How many miles on your car? My car is at 148k and I need to take the carpets out to really clean them. How hard after you get the seats out?

Cal
PS used to live in Parker, moved to Washington state about 5 years ago. Really miss the sun, but not the snow. Looks like I need to change my locatin on NSXPrime

Replace with black. It's really not too hard to remove the carpets. I found this post by MvM and I studied it before attempting. Basically, it's unscrewing the interior panels and sill trim, removing the center console, and unscrewing the gas pedal stop and dead pedal. Carpets lift right out.

Looking good Paul, I'd be terrified stripping down this far, I'd jack something up and never figure what. You must be very skilled...

I spent 3 years searching and studying on Prime when I lived in an apartment with no garage to do the work. Now I have a garage, so I am just executing the plan lol. :D It's really not that bad when you take your time and go step by step. Most of my frustrations involve encountering work/broken pieces performed by aftermarket vendors, who often do a shoddy job and cover it up so the customer won't see. By contrast, Honda OEM put this car together in a very sensible way that is easy to follow. I'd say 75% of my work on this NSX is fixing what other guys did wrong.

Nice progress on your refresh...great day to be in the garage around here, eh? Like yours my help was sleeping on the job.

6787183191_13ebc4268f_z.jpg

What color are you doing the seats?

Adorabl! Probably what my near future will look like lol :) I am doing a leatherseats kit in Bone, which is nearly white. It really pops on a black NSX.

Stopped by the powdercoater today to get some color samples. In possibly a first picture ever for NSX Prime, below are my 2002+ OEM wheels stripped down to the bare alloy!

Winter_Refresh18.jpg

I gave a lot of thought to that, but I want a darker shade close to OEM 94-96 wheels. We're going for this look (blasted alloy) but a couple of shades darker. The shop I'm working with is a true craftsman- he's made me at least 5 samples to make sure we get it right before shooting the wheels.

Clearcoat those as-is!

Looks like your making some headway Honcho!!!! I don't know when your gonna need those clips but I can help you get some. I understand your frustration on previous workmanship and also the cost of replacement for OEM clips!!! As I just spent fortune myself on a lot of them, Most didn't break when I removed them but I figured with what I'm doing with my build it was a better option for me to go OEM.. I'm going to Cabo for a couple weeks Saturday if you can wait for those clips I can order a bunch of aftermarket ones for you that are WAY cheaper then Factory ones when I get back... If thats something that will work with your schedule send me a list of what clips you need. My shop is in Wheat Ridge on the west side of Denver Metro you would just need to pick them up, I'll just charge you the cost of what you need..
Bob

My suspension woes were depressing me, so rather than get discouraged, I decided to do some upholstery. :biggrin: It was 10 degrees out today, so some inside work was welcome.

Seat cushion with my new leatherseats.com cover.

Winter_Refresh19.jpg

Finished in 45 minutes! A couple of tips: first, a good set of needle nose pliers are your BEST FRIEND here. I used them 90% over the hog ring pliers; second, for the interior seams i used a hog ring in the middle and zip ties on the outer points. I used hog rings for the perimeter fittings; finally, line up your cover and eyeball to make sure its centered. Once you have the interior seams fixed, the cover will be pretty much lined up.

Winter_Refresh20.jpg

Draco the German Shepherd watched me work the whole time. :biggrin:

Winter_Refresh21.jpg

After doing both bottom covers, I tackled the upper ones. These were more difficult because the cover is a tighter fit to the cushion. Also, I'm not quite sure how those three clips at the top work? It's sort of loose up there...

Winter_Refresh22.jpg

My progress today. Pretty good, huh? I think those slight wrinkles will smooth out once the sun and heat hit those seats. Too cold for that right now. :redface:

Winter_Refresh23.jpg

Next up for tomorrow is to install my new powdercoated valve covers!

I am interested to see final results when installed of the leatherseats.com covers. I also have an ivory interior and am looking to recover my seats.

Back