• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

"solidol" 94 BB: maintenance/build

Any updates on the InsaneShafts. Have you installed both sides?

I had to take mine off they were knocking and making noise. Which they say is normal.

good stuff Roman! can't wait for the ITBs!
Thanks! I have to admit I have started to think about dropping in 6psi ctsc instead :)

After my last 2000 miles long trip I realized since this is my only vehicle and I drive it much I'm starting to doubt my sanity when it comes to running ITBs. Then there is CARB too. We shall see.

Thanks! I have to admit I have started to think about dropping in 6psi ctsc instead :)

After my last 2000 miles long trip I realized since this is my only vehicle and I drive it much I'm starting to doubt my sanity when it comes to running ITBs. Then there is CARB too. We shall see.
You sound like me. [MENTION=11581]Hapa88[/MENTION] picked up the last Autorotor CTSC I saw for sale. So try to find one of those if you can.

I've finally figured out how to run a CTSC to be rock solid in daily reliability and as a track weapon. It's tough to go back.

Definitely pros/cons with both setups. However, i'd like to recommend gearing as a prerequisite for both. I feel like you'd be happier with a 6spd or a JDM 5spd.

You sound like me. [MENTION=11581]Hapa88[/MENTION] picked up the last Autorotor CTSC I saw for sale. So try to find one of those if you can.

I've finally figured out how to run a CTSC to be rock solid in daily reliability and as a track weapon. It's tough to go back.

Definitely pros/cons with both setups. However, i'd like to recommend gearing as a prerequisite for both. I feel like you'd be happier with a 6spd or a JDM 5spd.
Regan, my main problem with ctsc is how to cool the charge down. Extra weight on top of the engine aside. CARB is pretty big deal too. I'm still thinking about it but the more I do the more it looks like I'm going to be boosted soon.

Realistically I will probably end up with Tim's ctsc. But in retrospect I should've just got Dan's charger few months ago.

Also I have NSX-R gears for few years now. The best mod next to ct headers for this car I've done so far.

Last edited:
You will be very quick with the NSX-R final drive. Let me know how you like it with a CTSC. I have a JDM 5spd (in my car now) and a NSX-R 5spd tranny is collecting dust. I thought I would have installed it by now but the CTSC gives enough torque in the low end I haven't felt the need to go shorter. I'd really love to try it someday. Seems like it might be even more of a good thing!

Cooling is so easy!! I sprayed a mixture of approx 20%meth/80%water at Thermal and my IATs never got above 130F. They were actually around 115F while at the track. On normal drives I fill up the 1 gallon tank every fillup. Less if I stay off boost, since the water only sprays progressively above 3psi of boost. At the track the 1gal tank will last 1-2 sessions. It's perfect. The water spray also doesn't have to involve the complicated aftercooler setups which add a bunch of additional weight and tubing.

$0.02.

- - - Updated - - -

You can't fight the extra weight on top. Can't win them all :(

Agreed. Although it's not that bad but like I said this is good for track car. Street - nope.

ITB build update - tagged :)

IMAG0039.jpg

time to check the DMV website again

Well this sucks. I was looking forward to seeing your itb's on that beast. But I was always thinking about how you can get it under carb radar. Just go ctsc bro. A lot less headaches and more power. I don't think intake cooling will be a determining factor until you track the car. Anyways good luck with your decision.
AJ

Well this sucks. I was looking forward to seeing your itb's on that beast. But I was always thinking about how you can get it under carb radar. Just go ctsc bro. A lot less headaches and more power. I don't think intake cooling will be a determining factor until you track the car. Anyways good luck with your decision.
AJ
I'm still thinking about it. Just thinking out loud. CARB is the least of my problems actually ;)

Regan, my main problem with ctsc is how to cool the charge down. Extra weight on top of the engine aside. CARB is pretty big deal too. I'm still thinking about it but the more I do the more it looks like I'm going to be boosted soon.

CTSC is CARB legal. So what's the problem?

I still would love an ITB setup one day. Maybe if NSX prices come down again (yea RIGHT..) i'll buy another NSX and turn it into a race car with ITBs. Just driving my NSX last night and being a ninja in socal fwy traffic, I really appreciated weaving in and out of traffic in 4th and 5th gear. The CTSC gives a nice torque boost down low. I don't think it would have been the same with an ITB setup. Still would love to have both someday though.

I still would love an ITB setup one day. Maybe if NSX prices come down again (yea RIGHT..) i'll buy another NSX and turn it into a race car with ITBs. Just driving my NSX last night and being a ninja in socal fwy traffic, I really appreciated weaving in and out of traffic in 4th and 5th gear. The CTSC gives a nice torque boost down low. I don't think it would have been the same with an ITB setup. Still would love to have both someday though.

Don't worry Regan, I'll let you (and Roman) drive my car once I install ITBs, cams and more importantly my JRZs lol

didn't Chris at sos have or sell a shop car with itb's.....how is that car performing and how reliable? anyone in Arizona know it?

didn't Chris at sos have or sell a shop car with itb's.....how is that car performing and how reliable? anyone in Arizona know it?
There are few cars with ITBs right now. One in Canada with the same kit as mine. It's not really a question of reliability. It can be done/installed quite easily too. The thing is all current owners are not in CA. Second most drive their cars very rarely and within say 1000ft of elevation change. My driving patterns and overall way of using my car is drastically different. Also most run ITBs with open stacks. Which looks cool but is how to say it.. not smart to say the least. Even for track only setup (ever had a car in front go off in a cloud of dust and dirt?); there should be intake plenum built no matter what. It will also help minimize IAT spikes and one would be able to measure amount of flowing air. And not just tune off of TPS.

Last edited:
Great build. Regarding elevation change I never had that with my car. I had it tuned at about 500 ft and drove it for about 1 1/2 years at 4,100 ft without a problem. I did feel the lost of power at higher that elevation though. Did you buy your setup from Hayward? If so he does sell booties that will go right over the ITB. I have them but only used it on long distance drive.

Back