• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rob Ferretti one month update of his 2014 nsx

That was a bit painful to listen to. All of the droning on about "slow", and how people enjoy them even still.

Fast is all about relativity. If you are used to faster cars, the NSX will be slow. The problem now is that the world has progressed to the point where there are many fast cars and even regular boring cars like Hyundais are keeping up.

We all will have to realize that the world benchmarks have moved and that the NSX will not. This will become a classic car forum as the NSX ages, it is in transition right now actually!

One caveat- A turbo NSX is next level performance, with nothing else quite like it. Thank the light weight of the NSX not the fragile engine for that. Ride in one if you want to realize how slow the stock car is. It transforms the car into relevance on par with today's exotics.

Last edited:
I will continue to drive my NSX while my friends have their "supercars" in the shop getting repaired haha. Honestly I have never been caught up in the HP game as stock family cars are coming out with 12 second quarter mile times now. I'll spend money on an Ilift kit before a supercharger. HP is great but I love the dependability of my slow 91 NSX. I drove my friends new Stingray and it throws you in your seat but honestly it was not enjoyable. Rob's review was ok as he did say the NSX had many highlights. For most people off the street they would consider the car slow; however, I am certain most NSX owners buy an NSX because that is what they want not what quarter mile time it can pull off.

Personal economics matter more in who buys a used nsx.The interresting data point would be those who own or could afford any car and still choose an nsx along with the others.

Chime in Rob. We all know you're a member. Many questions to answer

- - - Updated - - -

Road and Track and Car and Driver make $ selling advertising on their sites and magazines test driving cars. Super Speedsters has the same revenue stream. Could you imagine these reputable publications doing a review on a total loss example of anything?? Sorry but this is shady and pisses me off as thousands of people will watch this crappy video. Have a great weekend :)

Sorry little late to the game here, was going to actually post this up in the running video thread I have. A lot of people here seem to take offense to me calling the car slow, which by modern day standards it absolutely is. Not as noticeable from the drivers seat below 100 but 130+ its unbelievably slow acceleration wise. Now the kicker is I wasn't even comparing it to modern day standards. I own a 2004 Ferrari 360, a 2000 mustang cobra R, and a 2001 corvette coupe(no longer stock). Those were the cars I was comparing the speed of the NSX to. If anyone wants to run a 60-150 time in an NSX i'll do the same in any other car from that era to prove my point. I'll also happily offer up my car to put against any "non-salvage" 2004 NSX as a baseline to validate my car as an accurate representation of the 2002+ NSX.

Trying to make the car seem like a bad car to discount my point of view is irrational, but whatever helps people sleep at night. If my assessment of the car was at all impacted by the fact it has a rebuilt title I would have mentioned it. 65 million + views on my youtube channel alone, I completely disregard comments and opinions and just go out and make videos so I don't take offense to anyones opinions on here, feel free to continue to share your thoughts whether inline with mine or not.

60-150 runs in a straight line don't say anything about the performance of a car but will make you the hero at your local gas station pen** length comparison meet.

Bernhard

60-150 runs in a straight line don't say anything about the performance of a car but will make you the hero at your local gas station pen** length comparison meet.

Bernhard

Really. Think that comment was necessary? You really should delete your account here and come back when you grow up. If you do not like the opinion of another owner tell them why in a respectful way and go about your business.

Wasn't ment to be unrespectful. Is it wrong? I mean, does straigt line acceleration give you any useful information about the real performance of a car?

If i want that i'll strap the biggest engine i can find into the lightest tube chassis and done. That has nothing to do with driving a sportscar.

I would rather compare laptimes or mid corner speeds. At those the NSX is despite its development year still pretty good and definitely not slow as stated in the video numerous times.

Bernhard

Last edited:
Some people want that 60-150 time and by all means, they should go out and buy the car that delivers it. I see nothing wrong with that.

The NSX is a great car, but it isn't a swiss army knife. There are some things it quite simply doesn't do. It is also no stretch to say that the late model NSXs didn't keep up with the competition. Ferrari was caught napping, but upped the performance game with the 355 and just kept right on going while the NSX stayed where it was. Even though my car has a 2001 model year tag, I make no mistakes that it is an early 90s car. For me personally, that doesn't bother me in the least I sort of like the early 90s :p

having giant heavy wheels hurts a cars performance in every way possible. it is the single most detrimental thing you can to to a car.

The NSX is a great car, but it isn't a swiss army knife. There are some things it quite simply doesn't do.

Hear hear! I don't know why pointing that out gets you burned at the stake around here.

In this video I saw Rob confirming what all of us already knew - not the fastest car for your dollar by a long shot, but a great package. I've often used the phrase "starter exotic" - if you want something that's low, loud, good looking and has a great seating position, it's a great jumping off point into that world for the money.

I know my NSX is slow but it also seems to be built in a way that going (comparatively) slow in it is really enjoyable and satisfying. Compare that with my new-to-me M3 which is definitely faster, but going fast in it is really violent and brutal and not at all satisfying and smooth the way the NSX is. I feel like I'm sitting *in* the NSX whereas I feel like I'm sitting on top of the M3.

Hear hear! I don't know why pointing that out gets you burned at the stake around here.

In this video I saw Rob confirming what all of us already knew - not the fastest car for your dollar by a long shot, but a great package. I've often used the phrase "starter exotic" - if you want something that's low, loud, good looking and has a great seating position, it's a great jumping off point into that world for the money.

I know my NSX is slow but it also seems to be built in a way that going (comparatively) slow in it is really enjoyable and satisfying. Compare that with my new-to-me M3 which is definitely faster, but going fast in it is really violent and brutal and not at all satisfying and smooth the way the NSX is. I feel like I'm sitting *in* the NSX whereas I feel like I'm sitting on top of the M3.

Well said. Speed is just 1 measure of performance, one that was not significantly updated from 1991 in the NSX over 14 years. Over those 14 years the performance benchmark of acceleration took huge leaps, Honda chose not to keep up which could be one reason they weren't able to sell cars. They learned however with the NSX claiming it will perform at the Ferrari 458 level which is a terrific benchmark. I'm going to try and score a new NSX as long as the purchase process is not ridiculous.

Rob's so correct here it's not a fast car by any standard however it is one of those cars that is great to own and can go fast with some attention but it was designed in the 80's and made in the 90's. I have owned mine for 15yrs and it still makes me smile when I drive her cant say that too much about some of the newer faster cars I have driven so it's not always about the speed.

Well said. They learned however with the NSX claiming it will perform at the Ferrari 458 level which is a terrific benchmark. I'm going to try and score a new NSX as long as the purchase process is not ridiculous.

LMAO yeah they really learned... Learned to target cars that have been out for several years for a car that they debuted as a concept years before a scheduled launch which they have delayed for more years. By the time the new NSX hits the streets it will already be eclipsed again and Ferrari will be debuting the 458 successor or it will be on the streets. The next NSX is doomed for the same life cycle that our cars suffered. Super hot at first of course, then irrelevant and forgotten for it's whole life, and then maybe admired posthumously (but it's not at all instantly pretty like the original so I doubt that).

- - - Updated - - -

Also... A Turbo NSX still won't be fast?! Do the math on the power to weight ratio of a mildly boosted NSX or ride in one... They blow away almost anything and keep up with today's really fast cars.

And this is not a platform for modding?? A car with a sublime chassis, low weight with further reductions easily available, built by Honda, and probably the cheapest exotic to modify, with a world of aftermarket support for over 20 years says otherwise. There are full catalogs of parts available.

Last edited:
So its a 5 min video of him calling the slow lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Also... A Turbo NSX still won't be fast?! Do the math on the power to weight ratio of a mildly boosted NSX or ride in one... They blow away almost anything and keep up with today's really fast cars.

And this is not a platform for modding?? A car with a sublime chassis, low weight with further reductions easily available, built by Honda, and probably the cheapest exotic to modify, with a world of aftermarket support for over 20 years says otherwise. There are full catalogs of parts available.

he clearly has no idea what he's talking about to make those statements he did. Someone who still has a lot to learn about this car.

The next NSX is doomed for the same life cycle that our cars suffered. Super hot at first of course, then irrelevant and forgotten for it's whole life, and then maybe admired posthumously (but it's not at all instantly pretty like the original so I doubt that).- - - Updated - - -
When has this ever happened & what world are you living in?Come ride with me and a few buddies so you can be more accurate. Your the 1st to have that opinion. Our cars never saw a day of the above.

When has this ever happened & what world are you living in?Come ride with me and a few buddies so you can be more accurate. Your the 1st to have that opinion. Our cars never saw a day of the above.

The NSX when it came out was a hot ticket and sold for far above MSRP. So that's when it was hot. Then in the mid 90s sales slowed as they did for all the Japanese sports cars and the price tag went up. In the late 90s and 2000s everyone forgot there were even new NSXs for sale at the dealership because few were made and the ones that were sat on dealers lots and sold for steep discounts. Ever since they stopped production and people started talking about the new NSX interest has resurfaced in the old cars and you can witness the number of video mags and other media coverage. Now it's a very admired car but for a long time it was looked down upon, especially in the Italian super car circles.

Not sure how any of that is inaccurate, it is supported by observable data. Not sure why I would need to ride with you and a few buddies to observe what ownership experience is like, I have owned my car for almost a decade. Maybe I am misunderstanding you, I didn't follow all the pronouns used but am just going off the quoted text.

Honda is on the same track again, targeting a production car that is near the end of it's life cycle (458) and taking forever to develop a car it showed many years ago. If they were smart they would change course now.

Last edited:
Rob has owned a 700hp+ Corvette and a 1000hp+ Supra. To him, even a 600hp+ turbo NSX probably *is* "not fast". His bar for fast is stratospheric.

The thing that get me about this review, is that, he knew the car ONLY had 290 HP, this has been so since MY 97. So if you are accustom to HIGH power sports cars, why buy an NSX in the first place? You know it going to be slower than any thing you have or had in the past...this make no sense what so ever.

On the other hand if you are looking to add to your 65M Youtube hits or like to hear yourself .... why not?

Bram

Originally Posted by Nero Tenebre
The next NSX is doomed for the same life cycle that our cars suffered. Super hot at first of course, then irrelevant and forgotten for it's whole life, and then maybe admired posthumously (but it's not at all instantly pretty like the original so I doubt that).- - - Updated - - -

I think I live in that same world too and it happened in the last decade. We all love the NSX, but the general public did very much forget about the NSX and only the few rational minds left recognized the true driving experience and value of the car.

Rob, the 3.2L NSX matches the (good) 333hp 6-cyl E46 M3 and the 996 911 Carrera to 60 and beats both of them in the 1/4 mile. Cars that you said are faster than the NSX...

The NSX beat its target, the 348 and the 3.2L held its own pretty well against the 355. But in 1999 I would agree the NSX's unchanged powerplant fell behind when compared to the 360 Modena. While its widely understood that cars keep getting faster, I would hardly call mid 4-second 0-60 times and sub 13's as slow even by todays standards (which is as fast as a LS2 C6 Corvette, your 2001 C5, and a 2015 435hp Mustang GT).

The NSX actually has pretty good aerodynamics and thus a turbocharged NSX can typically stay with a supra that has over 100whp more from 60-150mph. The chassis is quite good, rigid, and feels right at home with 450-500whp powering it.

Last edited:
Back