• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

McDork’s 1998 Coupe JH4NA2131WT000070 listed as “Zanardi Prototype” in the wiki

why don't you try this......post up a trade your 95% Z wheels for someone else's more scratched up set...then they would have better still original wheels and you could then repaint their wheels without me and yinzer cringing...:wink:

I like what you're thinking.
@cmc140, please PM me, call collect, ring my doorbell at 3am or anytime day or night. Or I could drive out today. Light snow out but I'm ready, just let me know, I don't mind helping you here on this fantastic build. :)

why don't you try this......post up a trade your 95% Z wheels for someone else's more scratched up set...then they would have better still original wheels and you could then repaint their wheels without me and yinzer cringing...:wink:

I like what you're thinking.
@cmc140, please PM me, call collect, ring my doorbell at 3am or anytime day or night. Or I could drive out today. Light snow out but I'm ready, just let me know, I don't mind helping you here on this fantastic build. :)

This isn't a bad idea if it was the right person, their wheels weren't bent, damaged on the lips from being curbed, and we wanted to go through the hassle. I'm thinking about the theory vs reality joke.

My question though is wouldn't trading parts between cars be just as disturbing to the purists and NSX Gods?

My feeling is I'd rather have as many original major components as possible even if they don't have the original paint. That's what I liked about this car, it had all of what I would consider major (aluminum body pieces) to put the body back stock and every single other piece. Let's face it, it's purity from the production line is long gone. First by Honda themselves and then Major Stoner. However, that's all part of the story of this car and cars with unique stories are fun cars to own. Cars that are all original are cars that I can't imagine being enjoyable to own.
[MENTION=25046]Yinzer[/MENTION] do you have a set of Zanardi wheels to trade?

Please take comfort in that I think I finally talked myself out of making it a Veilside Fortune widebody painted camo, with big turbo and zebra striped seat inserts...I think:wink:

Yinzer thank you for the links. I've been going through those as well and my take on it is that nobody has actually identified the Washi Gray color code and Pewter Gray is a close enough match. The thing I have learned matching the red on this car is that there is quite of bit of variation in color even the same color code between brands. The other variable is how the color has changed over the course of its life. IMHO, two cars parked side by side wouldn't give me the level of comfort required for me to redo these wheels. However, if I can nail down the color I think that I will proceed.

Nigel I appreciate you sugar coating that for me! :smile: also give me a ring when you're in town and lets get a few beers. I'm with ya and if I can get the color properly matched I think it would be worthwhile. I had Justin look at a wheel yesterday and I told him that I thought he would lay the paint down much smoother than the factory. I'll tell you, he is a VERY gifted painter who is beyond humble and he was quick to say, "Absolutely." He then quickly followed with, "I hate painting wheels because they're so time consuming and difficult to do right." So, yeah it think he would absolutely do them to such a high quality level that they will just be one more thing on this car that make it show very well.

Kid thanks for your input. I’d very much love to know what color code was used on your wheels. If you can somehow point me in the direction to get that info I’d very much appreciate it. Otherwise, I’m going to get a few test panels done with Pewter Gray and then have the center cap professionally matched and see how close I can get.
Thanks again everyone for taking the time to give me some input. I think it’s helping me make a better decision.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's an update from last weekend. I realized there was still quite a bit of undercoating on the front suspension pieces and I decided to take advantage of the warm weather.

TurtleWax bug and tar remover with green scotch brite pads work very well removing undercoating. Then I hit it with this powerball thing and it looks pretty good. I'm not going for chromatose just decently cleaned up. I still have quite a bit to do and I guess I'll now have to go over the rear suspension as well.

Beautiful work there. I think it actually moved a little.:redface:

@Yinzer do you have a set of Zanardi wheels to trade?

I don't have Zanardi wheels but I was thinking more: I'd trade you my 16 (4 full sets) of 5-spoke 91-93's that I accidentally accumulated during my NSX purchase. Delivered. Such a deal, how could you possibly say no? :)

There are probably 3 Z owners that I know of that frequent prime that drive their cars.......so the pool is small...but I wanted to show you I was devoting some brain cells to your dilemma :wink:

I don't have Zanardi wheels but I was thinking more: I'd trade you my 16 (4 full sets) of 5-spoke 91-93's that I accidentally accumulated during my NSX purchase. Delivered. Such a deal, how could you possibly say no? :)
Oh man! I already have two sets of fat fives myself. 6 sets would just make me feel like a hoarder.:tongue:

- - - Updated - - -

There are probably 3 Z owners that I know of that frequent prime that drive their cars.......so the pool is small...but I wanted to show you I was devoting some brain cells to your dilemma :wink:

Any advice and or brain cell devotion is always helpful.
Thanks Sir!

Glass :)

Making progress....

The back half of the car was painted to avoid tape lines. Also, I wanted this car painted with the fenders on and adjusted so that all of the bolts will look perfect and un-tampered with. The first set of pictures are from Justin's iphone. The others I took today with my junky point and shoot camera so the color appears more orangy with the flash. However, it's as close to perfection in real life as I've ever seen. Even around the trunk area is far better than factory.

All I can say is WOW Chris!
Can you do mine like that next?:smile:

All I can say is WOW Chris!
Can you do mine like that next?:smile:

Thanks man. Yeah no problem just ship it in.
I plan to have my shop up and running when I retire in another 87 years.

- - - Updated - - -

Now that's a next level respray with attention to details!

Thanks there are some other small details that I'm sure no one will ever notice, but I'm hoping as a package it all comes together.

Chris,
Done at HondaJet! It is in NO way, having anything to do with the "Honda" philosophy or work ethic and i'm sure Soichiro Honda is rolling in his grave at what the American manufacturing process has done to his beloved company name at HondaJet.
It in NO way is like any other HONDA entity i've ever been involved with in over 30 years of eating, breathing and living the HONDA philosophy and product support.

Now, this car is looking nothing other than FANTASTIC !!! Can't wait to see it finished.

Cheers
nigel

Cheers
nigel

Yesterday I was at the Dealer in town having a ppi performed on my 94 that's listed on ebay.
Since the service manager was running that car in the system I asked if he would mind running this car. He was a nice enough guy and said, "No problem".

I thought this was pretty cool when I checked out the Selling Dealer and Original Owner. :smile:
Now if only I could find someone to tell me more about what was done / substantiate the story of what was done to it in Torrance.

Yesterday I was at the Dealer in town having a ppi performed on my 94 that's listed on ebay.
Since the service manager was running that car in the system I asked if he would mind running this car. He was a nice enough guy and said, "No problem".

I thought this was pretty cool when I checked out the Selling Dealer and Original Owner. :smile:
Now if only I could find someone to tell me more about what was done / substantiate the story of what was done to it in Torrance.
Don't you go anywhere Mc Cool... In a few more years I will be ready to ship you my car for a full restoration!

I have been away from the Prime in a while, but this gets my vote for thread of the decade! Great work.

Bob
Zanardi #26

I really think [MENTION=13572]cmc140[/MENTION] should live up to his name Mc Cool and rename his thread. Mc Dork sounds nothing like this mans passion towards these cars.... I only hope to have someone with this much passion work on a restoration of my own car!
The cars he restores looks almost better then when it rolled off of Japan into a container ship! Seriously Chris, you deserve some street cred... Can't say enough good things about your work.

I have been away from the Prime in a while, but this gets my vote for thread of the decade! Great work.

Bob
Zanardi #26

Thank you very much Sir. Based on your sig it looks like you have 1fantastic NSX:smile:

- - - Updated - - -

I really think [MENTION=13572]cmc140[/MENTION] should live up to his name Mc Cool and rename his thread. Mc Dork sounds nothing like this mans passion towards these cars.... I only hope to have someone with this much passion work on a restoration of my own car!
The cars he restores looks almost better then when it rolled off of Japan into a container ship! Seriously Chris, you deserve some street cred... Can't say enough good things about your work.

AJ that is an incredibly kind thing to say and I appreciate it greatly. I don't know if my work is all that, but I am pretty thorough and I absolutely love working on NSXs. They are unbelievably well engineered automobiles. When taking one apart it becomes even more evident how great they are and how far ahead of their time they were. For the life of me I don't know why prices haven't absolutely exploded because they are the epitome of what makes a great classic car.

Anyhow, thanks again and I realize this thread has been a snoozer because the paint work is taking so long. However, the guy painting it is an artist and I'm unwilling to push him. He's a one man show with heaps of honesty and integrity and I have a great deal of respect for him. He's so incredibly gifted that it makes it worth the wait and over the years meeting people like Justin is one of the best parts of the journey.

Here are a few pics of one of the racecars that he is doing. He uses pictures to replicate the lines even if they go over rivets. Everything is painted, no stickers.
Someday I'm going to buy a real camera as the picture just don't do the quality a justice.

Here are the latest of my car:

Last edited:
Back