• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

McDork’s 1998 Coupe JH4NA2131WT000070 listed as “Zanardi Prototype” in the wiki

Thanks Sir

- - - Updated - - -

Mother of god... People like you make me sick to my stomach.

I say this out of pure envy. Please carry on doing the lord's work.

LOL thank you

- - - Updated - - -

9a1633c43bfd57bcf3aecd3c2377579e.jpg
Thanks I think. :smile:

Great job Chris
I don't think my motor has ever looked that clean, except when Honda was putting it together.
just wow.

Great job Chris
I don't think my motor has ever looked that clean, except when Honda was putting it together.
just wow.

Thank you very much. :smile:

This car was pretty clean at the start with under 17,000 miles. However, I've spent a lot of time cleaning, for sure.
Not sure it's worth it or not, but I'm going to find out.

Perfect, just perfect!

Keep the updates coming, nothing is "too small" of an update...

Thank you for sharing,

J.

Perfect, just perfect!

Keep the updates coming, nothing is "too small" of an update...

Thank you for sharing,

J.

Thank you very much. However, it's not perfect that's for sure. It's as close as I'm going to get though.
I'm sort of in a holding pattern with updates for a little bit, as I have a different project I need to knock out and I just don't have enough time.

My new projected completion is next spring.:smile:
I want to just take my time with everything and enjoy the process.

- - - Updated - - -

I totally expect this to be in one of Honda's museums... When you are ready to sell let me know. I will make some calls. That is where it needs to be.

Amazing work like usual Chris.

Thanks a lot Brian I really appreciate all of your kind words and support over the years.
Maybe Honda could trade me a 2.0 for it? :wink::wink:

I'm sort of reluctant to ever sell this car. Of all the cars I've had, I know that I won't be able to find or buy another one quite like it.

Why not go 100% OEM stock for the restoration on such a special NSX? Not being facetious, genuinely curious what the goal is.

Great project nonetheless.

That's a great question, but I don't really know the answer.

A few possibilites:

1. I wan't born with whatever gene is required to restore a car to exact factory OEM specs.
2. Due to the previous history of modifications (previous owner and AHM) I feel justified for some artistic license. It's not a time capsule car.
3. Anything that isn't OEM stock finish can be easily sourced and it'd only take about 10 minutes to hose it down with undercoating.
4. Black plastic parts look cheap imho.

My goal is to have it look better than new / over restored. Honestly, I have no idea how this became the goal so I'll blame it on hitting my head the other year.:smile:

I like that gloss black paint on the engine parts, good idea!
Thanks clutch, I think it will all come together.

I've been bummin' a bit lately.........weather change, burfday, and whatnot. Anyhow, got a bit of a boost going on a trip to Ohio for the PMC tour. Thank you very much for all of those involved in making it happen.
It was great to see some friends and meet some new NSXer's too.

Seeing #41 was cool. So, I decided to roll this long project long out of the garage.
I've been doing some things little by little. A and B pillars are installed, new rad and the rest of the coolant hoses, and the side skirts.

Good times Chris! Great meeting you Thursday. Keep on keepin on with your amazing project. Impressive and very enjoyable to watch.

Can't wait to see the final product!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Good times Chris! Great meeting you Thursday. Keep on keepin on with your amazing project. Impressive and very enjoyable to watch.

Can't wait to see the final product!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thanks Jake. It was nice meeting you and I'd love to see your car sometime.

- - - Updated - - -

Great to see it in daylight. Coolest X on the forum.
Thanks Joey, but I don't know about all that.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you know if your spoiler is the lighter Zanardi one? What about the battery tray?
No on both counts and it doesn't have the single pane glass partition.
Definitely started life as a normal '98 coupe and then only got the cosmetic Zanardi components. The one thing I haven't checked was the shift stalk.
Now would probably be the time to figure out how to do that.

- Ah, got it. If you have the Zanardi shift knob then you probably have the Zanardi stalk. The Zanardi stalk has more threading needed by the matching knob. I guess there's always a chance they didn't replace the stalk and just screwed in the knob as much as they could and it sits higher than normal, but then I'd imagine your shift boot would be really stretched. Got a pic?

EDIT: Oh, if your interior is taken apart just snap a pic of the threads and we can compare it to a non Zanardi stalk.

- If you haven't seen it, your car reminds me of the 1996 Acura Integra Type R Press/Prototype which Acura used for photos and also sent to Comptech for parts development.

http://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-type-r-8/1996-usdm-itr-acura-press-vehicle-2533692/

- Lastly, I'm sure I said this and I'll say it again. Amazing car, amazing thread.

Thanks Jake. It was nice meeting you and I'd love to see your car sometime.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Joey, but I don't know about all that.

- - - Updated - - -

No on both counts and it doesn't have the single pane glass partition.
Definitely started life as a normal '98 coupe and then only got the cosmetic Zanardi components. The one thing I haven't checked was the shift stalk.
Now would probably be the time to figure out how to do that.

Last edited:
- Ah, got it. If you have the Zanardi shift knob then you probably have the Zanardi stalk. The Zanardi stalk has more threading needed by the matching knob. I guess there's always a chance they didn't replace the stalk and just screwed in the knob as much as they could and it sits higher than normal, but then I'd imagine your shift boot would be really stretched. Got a pic?

EDIT: Oh, if your interior is taken apart just snap a pic of the threads and we can compare it to a non Zanardi stalk.

- If you haven't seen it, your car reminds me of the 1996 Acura Integra Type R Press/Prototype which Acura used for photos and also sent to Comptech for parts development.

http://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-type-r-8/1996-usdm-itr-acura-press-vehicle-2533692/

- Lastly, I'm sure I said this and I'll say it again. Amazing car, amazing thread.

Thanks skafia I appreciate the info.

It does have the Zanardi stalk:

I'm guessing "pairglass" means dual pane.

Also, the Zanardi has gold "ACURA" lettering on the tape deck's lid. I'm not exactly sure which year NSXs had gold, but I know for sure my 1991, 2000, and 2005 were white and the only other car that had gold was my 2002.

26640449712_2f2882d4b0_b.jpg

- The Zanardi shares the same sun visors as the custom ordered coupes in "Seagull Gray". They are discontinued (I think I grabbed the last set from Acura a few months ago), but SOS has a limited run of them. I recommend getting them if yours are cracked.

25448441281_6da5542b53_b.jpg

The tape deck lettering is interesting. I've never noticed the gold before. Those sun visors look the same as they do on all coupes with the grey headliner and that's what the car has.
What does your partition window marking look like? Also, does you car not have the sound barrier material on the firewall?

Last edited:
I'm excited!

I finally scored a Zanardi Edition Press Kit. Well, I actually scored it on ebay last week, but it finally arrived today. I wasn't sure that I'd ever be able to purchase one of these, let alone look at one.
It will be a nice addition to the car.

a picture of the interior photograph:

with a little adjustment:

So cool. Now if only the new contact I made from AHM could help fill me in on all of the details. It'd be really cool to have the entire story to go along with the car.

Last edited:
The tape deck lettering is interesting. I've never noticed the gold before. Those sun visors look the same as they do on all coupes with the grey headliner and that's what the car has.
What does your partition window marking look like? Also, does you car not have the sound barrier material on the firewall?

I'll check the firewall. Here's a photo of the rear window: IMG_6125.jpg

I'm excited!

I finally scored a Zanardi Edition Press Kit. Well, I actually scored it on ebay last week, but it finally arrived today. I wasn't sure that I'd ever be able to purchase one of these, let alone look at one.
It will be a nice addition to the car.

a picture of the interior photograph:

with a little adjustment:

So cool. Now if only the new contact I made from AHM could help fill me in on all of the details. It'd be really cool to have the entire story to go along with the car.

Wow sweet pickup. I just missed that! I have the black/white prints and the letters only. Jealous!

wow amazing pick up, I'm always searching ebay for press release info on NSX and ITR shocked I didn't see that
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/File:Znsxpresskit.jpg
why isn't yours on the list?
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/General/modelinfo/zanardi.htm

Thanks. The same seller has this for sale too:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-Honda-...976686?hash=item4657df836e:g:C~IAAOSw5cNYE5o0
I thought about buying it, but the last thing I need is more stuff. My car isn't on the list because it's not a Zanardi Edition. It's just a '98 coupe that was made to look like one by Honda.
[MENTION=14720]skafia[/MENTION] thanks for the picture and all of the other info. I appreciate it.

wow amazing pick up, I'm always searching ebay for press release info on NSX and ITR shocked I didn't see that
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/File:Znsxpresskit.jpg
why isn't yours on the list?
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/General/modelinfo/zanardi.htm

Thanks. The same seller has this for sale too:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-Honda-...976686?hash=item4657df836e:g:C~IAAOSw5cNYE5o0
I thought about buying it, but the last thing I need is more stuff. My car isn't on the list because it's not a Zanardi Edition. It's just a '98 coupe that was made to look like one by Honda.
[MENTION=14720]skafia[/MENTION] thanks for the picture and all of the other info. I appreciate it.

Back