• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Primer's Wishlist Since NSX 2.0 is Delayed

OK, so we are all disappointed that the car is delayed yet again and this news is testing the Honda faithful. Though I believe they have taken the new car in the right direction for the most part, I think there are more than a few of us here that feel the car needs more time in the oven before it can become one of those special cars that will eventually become one of the great classics like the original. I am not just talking about styling and performance but instead am approaching this more comprehensively in terms of great design and innovative outside-the-box thinking. We are in a unique position here because:

1. We have been given a fairly significant amount of exposure to the pre-production car
2. We know it is still being tweaked
3. It is at least 6 months from serial production
4. We represent a passionate and intelligent community so familiar with the original and therefore I believe we possess special insight

So putting a positive spin on this news, let's see if we can make some reasonable suggestions, just in case anybody at Honda is listening.

I will start:

1. Find a way to remove the hump in the trunk due to the transmission. There must be a packaging solution if they work at it hard enough. Otherwise, it will definitely feel half-baked.
2. Find a way to increase the (transparent) glass behind the B pillars so rearward visibility is improved. Right now, I believe there is blacked out glass that has no purpose but for exterior styling. This is just not Honda-level design or outward visibility.
3. Lose the key hole.

Feel free to copy and paste the current list so we can make the list comprehensive in the latest post. Or feel free to challenge something on the list if it does not seem important, reasonable or wise.

- "Valk"

Last edited:
I agree wholeheartedly on the rearward visibility. Hatchbacks on cars like the 300ZX, 350Z, etc. are horrible compared to the first gen NSX or even 1990s MR2. It's not a big thing as I have gotten used to the small rearward visibility on many cars, but if they can, should make the rear view as broad as possible. Most of that is engine cover and obviously new pesky safety requirements - even the new C7 dropped the C pillar.

Lots of things to do, so many ...

Truly a wishlist ( impossible to tackle in such a short time )

Redesign the front ( too busy, too much volume, not right from side view, not right to see front grilles flush with body and because of all of this the front doesn't belong to the exotic sportscar standards )

More than 600 hp from ICE ( 175 hp/L from Honda's halo car isn't out of reach ... )

Try to offer nice OEM wheels options. Also not forget that a lot of people ( me included ) consider black finish wheels FUGLY ...

I would work on the side profile where are the side ventilation intakes ... Not really harmonious: the car looks kinked ...

I think they need to fix the exhaust note, it's awful. Also change the sea of plastic under the engine glass. Lastly upgrade the interior so it feels more special.

I also agree about getting rid of the plastic in engine bay. Show that puppy off! Polished intake manifold. Turbos/manifolds visible.

More wheel options/better options.

Up horsepower from ICE also.

1. Needs a V8 instead of V6 - isn't hard to do lots of longitudinal V8 options
2. I agree - interior looks like any other Acura on the road today, needs a redo
3. Lose keyhole and doors to open with a slight lift to them! Come on!

2. I agree - interior looks like any other Acura on the road today, needs a redo

Yeah Honda really fucked up by making the interior look similar to other Acuras. Fortunately the there's a brand available for you that doesn't suffer from this problem while exuding European elegance: Audi. Note how different the R8 interior looks compared the Golf/Jetta based A3.....

q7tzy6z5zcoakwpyk5ny.jpg

2016-audi-a3-interior.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah Honda really fucked up by making the interior look similar to other Acuras. Fortunately the there's a brand available for you that doesn't suffer from this problem while exuding European elegance: Audi. Note how different the R8 interior looks compared the Golf/Jetta based A3.....

q7tzy6z5zcoakwpyk5ny.jpg

2016-audi-a3-interior.jpg

Love the subtlety you chose there haha. This thread isgoing bring all of the nitpickers out. I should probably refrain from posting in it.

Last edited:
More alcantara / carbon fiber inside ?

They should rework the exhaust note, if they hope to compete against 458 and such.

360° visibility was a big factor in first NSX design, i sure hope it's still just as good with the new model.

They need to work on that exhaust note. If the tail pipes are any indication of the size of the exhaust system it may be why it sounds so horrid in my opinion. Open it up some more. It is a turbo charged engine after all.

The blue prototype they had on track with the transverse engine sounded so much meaner.

Unfortunately most of these turbocharged supercars are going to sound a bit flatulent, some moreso than others. I'd much rather have to suffer a somewhat unsatisfying exhaust note than a car with not enough power that rots on dealer lots and eventually gets cancelled. Too bad Honda waited so long to make a second gen NSX that new emissions regs made it impractical to produce a super high-revving, naturally-aspirated powerplant.

I think it's a bit much to expect the degree of change some of you are suggesting.

The amount of aerodynamic and crash testing required to change bodywork and interior at this stage is just impractical and hugely expensive. You might see an exterior change come facelift time in 4 or 5 years, but no way within the next 6 months.

I don't think it's unreasonable to see additional gurney flaps in vents, possibly a colour change of the beak (which I think is an unnecessary nod to the rest of the range). Remember, in the rest of the world where Acura doesn't exit, the beak is not common to any other Honda cars we know of, so it's a double error as far as Europeans are concerned.

The realistic changes that I think can be made are losing the awful key hole and rework the engine cover.

Both of them appear to be complete afterthoughts.

I wonder if the blacked out rear of the cars on the streets is an indicator that they are working on something.

The engine lacks some visual dram, primarily due to having a small inlet manifold, but it's not terrible, still nicer than exposing just the air hoses connected to the throttle bodies.

Engine power is not something we should be discussing as none of us knows the total, or the breakdown. We only heard north of 550 back in january. That could be any number north of 550. I'd be happy with 500 from the ICE, which is a low specific output for a turbo charged engine in this day and age, along with 120+ of electric assistance.

I'd have liked to see a plug in hybrid system, but that's never going to happen.

As for exhaust note, short of putting valves in there, it's unlikely to change. What you are hearing is the massive muffling of the 4 catalytic converters that will be in there. Removing two of them aftermarket will improve that enormously if you are prepared to do it aftermarket.

Personally, I'll be straight on to my friends at Akrapovic to see what they have to offer. A proper titanium exhaust has a habit of unleashing a much more aggressive sound, even from a V6, but I'm not expecting miracles.

More alcantara / carbon fiber inside ?

They should rework the exhaust note, if they hope to compete against 458 and such.

360° visibility was a big factor in first NSX design, i sure hope it's still just as good with the new model.

Evrything he jus said, plus keyhole except one thing....

this visibility kick has to go. I'm going to tell you now, it's not going to happen, its not going to get insanely better, here's why:

the visibility level in our cars is actually illegal... no longer can belt lines be as low, fire walls have to be thicker, roll over structure has be stronger and everything else thrown in means that the lower the car is, the less visibility you can have espeically with a mid engine vehicle. they can raise the driving position which will give you a better view over the engine bay, but unless you want the overall car to be taller it just cant happen these days. but there is one potential solution: camera mirrors

these will be used in years to come but if you want rearward visibility (which is the most pointless visibility) they'll have to use cameras and dedicated in car monitors

I like my current nsx interior. It did require some updating though. The new nsx interior looks good. Just needs a few subtle tweaks. I think the new nsx could use some better wheel options most importantly.

Lots of things to do, so many ...

Truly a wishlist ( impossible to tackle in such a short time )/QUOTE]

Not sure time is running out any time soon unfortunately lol.

Not that anybody asked me or that MODs will even approve but I thought it might help to summarize our list to date assuming no one objects. I am going to attempt to refocus this thread by going back to the original concept. Again, I am interested in developing great design more than just criticizing things we don't like. Also, I am hoping to keep it realistic. A V-12 would be amazing but that engine has a snowball's chance in hell. I also added a few more of my own so fee free to nitpick my ideas (I know you guys do!)

1. Lose the Keyhole
2. Create a flat floor in the trunk
3. Reduce the blacked out glass around the "C" Pillar
4. Have the ICE produce at least 500 HP
5. Clean up and simplify the front end
6. Dress up the interior with more alcantara and Carbon Fiber - Make it feel exotic - Bring back some of the Concept's interior design
7. Improve and Deepen the Exhaust Note
8. Add a forward-facing camera with USB access (or wifi) for track use
9. Redo the engine presentation and show off the actual mechanical (polished) bits
10. Incorporate a proper and permanent cup holder or two. (that's not selling out!)
11. Add more storage cubbies (door pockets?)
12. Do some creative things with LEDs on both the exterior and interior. (e.g. indirectly light the Acura logo that reveals the outline at night, indirect lighting in some intake vents - something subtle, lit-up cup holder, etc.)
13. Rework the exterior door latches. They are cumbersome and look painful to use. You would think that with that much battery storage they would feel good about an electronic solution like the Vette.
14. Shorten the doors. Do they really need to be that long? They extend well past the side windows and will be hard to open all the way without making contact with other cars.
15. Lengthen the rear overhang
16. Move the "Engine Start" Button back to the IDS Knob.

Last edited:
Not really. Of course, a crocodile can look like a cat; one mouth, four legs ....

You're missing the point. The interior of the original NSX resembles a 1990 Accord to about the same extent that the new NSX resembles the interior of other Acuras. Yet everyone is saying the new interior looks too much like other Acuras. What these commenters are really saying is that they don't like to see anything that reminds them of Acura, whereas in the 90's they were proud to own a Honda/Acura.

I actually think this looks more exotic than the new R8 interior....

17133637201_89edda1ad2_h.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

10. Incorporate a proper and permanent cup holder or two. (that's not selling out!)

No! Cup holders are for slobs, plus they look ugly. They are the opposite of exotic.

Last edited:
You're missing the point. The interior of the original NSX resembles a 1990 Accord to about the same extent that the new NSX resembles the interior of other Acuras. Yet everyone is saying the new interior looks too much like other Acuras. What these commenters are really saying is that they don't like to see anything that reminds them of Acura, whereas in the 90's they were proud to own a Honda/Acura.

I actually think this looks more exotic than the new R8 interior....

No! Cup holders are for slobs, plus they look ugly. They are the opposite of exotic.

I agree with BB on both accounts. Cupholders are stain and mess magnets. They belong in commuter beaters. Get a capped bottled if you're going to be drinking inside your sports car please.

The minor stuff like engine bay redressing, C pillar clean up, and front bumper redesign can all happen within 6 months or in the mid-cycle refresh, so I could see that happening one way or another.

The major stuff people are dreaming about sounds like they need to go buy a Ferrari or the elusive new V8 Lotus... etc. The exhaust is already going to sound unique and exotic compared to other V6s thanks to the unique 75 degree configuration. Just wait until you put a more free-flow (catless/less catted) exhaust on the car. I'd be more concerned about Honda extending the redline to 8,000 rpm reliability especially since the bigger block GTR can do 7,500.

So the capped bottle is a fine idea. That's what I used when I drove my car from North Carolina. But the bottle would bounce around my feet when I would take the exit ramp with some pace. Perhaps the need a bottle net or something of the like.

Back