• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Primer's Wishlist Since NSX 2.0 is Delayed

What driving experiences do you hope to have beyond the 3, I mentioned above? Perhaps a weather mode? I don't think the 4 modes they currently have even address bad weather. Then again, maybe a weather protection is built in with traction control and a sensor tied to a temp gauge and or a rain sensor?

To be honest I really can't give you a proper answer as asked for without having actually driven such a different car and drivetrain and had time to feel/absorb it and the make some personal preference choices. Maybe it would be for just a wider range of alternatives which we just aren't aware of as possible and desirable... yet. Perhaps just a wider blend of attributes... based on conditions (How about Wet, Super dry, Extra cold, and Super hot... relative to temps and therefore pavement) and or driver preferred feedback feelings or lack of. I learned to drive many years ago with a mere "3 on the tree" shift. (sorry for dating myself) Some learned on 2 speed autos (yeah way back in the day), and we all thought those were enough. Later we had 3 spd autos 4 spds and on the floor. Then 5, and 6. My GT-R has 6, but a DCT... and after some seat time I grew to love it. Not having a 3'rd pedal and lever to deal with enables both hands controlling the wheel and more time to concentrate on driving vs manipulating levers and pedals. It was disappointing at first, but it didn't take time to adjust and think Ahhh this is better if I WANT TO DRIVE MORE AGRESSIVELY AND REMAIN SAFE. So a 3 speed tranny was OK. Now we're looking at this mechanical wonder with 9! Would 3 be enough? Sorry I can't give a better basis for my view... and it is just that- my view and not something I'm trying to push on others. Once they are in production and out there with assorted drivers, we'll know better what was good and bad, enough or too much etc. OK, off my soap box.

Great points.

For that matter, would it be interesting to have something beyond Track mode where there is overboost on the turbos, full charge unleashed on the electric motors (like hot lap on the 918), exhaust bypass, A/C compressor switched off, maximum torque vectoring and all nannies switched off?

The hybrid system has a battery pack delivering approx 75hp to the electric motors it sits behind the seats on the firewall i know for a fact theres room for two more battery packs one for each side of the the center mounted unit. If theres a linear delivery of power from the battery packs that would increase the performance of the NSX by another 150hp.

Built in - plug in performance NSX-R would certainly have an extra battery pack. Would be interesting if you could buy extra packs from spare parts department program and plug it in giddy-up.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. Adding more battery power is merely adding more battery CAPACITY. Think of adding additional gas tanks for ICE. It doesn't make any more power... only enables it to further between fill-ups (or allows E motor assist to run longer w/o charging which could be a benefit). But adding either (tanks of fuel or batteries) makes the vehicle slower due to added and non power increased weight.
In theory you could add more batteries in series... raising voltage which then could enable significantly more power. But the overvoltage would create overheating (increase current squared) and overload destroy the e motor.
Just think of taking a 120 volt motored tool and plugging it to a 240 volt source. Poof!

To be honest I really can't give you a proper answer as asked for without having actually driven such a different car and drivetrain and had time to feel/absorb it and the make some personal preference choices. Maybe it would be for just a wider range of alternatives which we just aren't aware of as possible and desirable... yet. Perhaps just a wider blend of attributes... based on conditions (How about Wet, Super dry, Extra cold, and Super hot... relative to temps and therefore pavement) and or driver preferred feedback feelings or lack of. I learned to drive many years ago with a mere "3 on the tree" shift. (sorry for dating myself) Some learned on 2 speed autos (yeah way back in the day), and we all thought those were enough. Later we had 3 spd autos 4 spds and on the floor. Then 5, and 6. My GT-R has 6, but a DCT... and after some seat time I grew to love it. Not having a 3'rd pedal and lever to deal with enables both hands controlling the wheel and more time to concentrate on driving vs manipulating levers and pedals. It was disappointing at first, but it didn't take time to adjust and think Ahhh this is better if I WANT TO DRIVE MORE AGRESSIVELY AND REMAIN SAFE. So a 3 speed tranny was OK. Now we're looking at this mechanical wonder with 9! Would 3 be enough? Sorry I can't give a better basis for my view... and it is just that- my view and not something I'm trying to push on others. Once they are in production and out there with assorted drivers, we'll know better what was good and bad, enough or too much etc. OK, off my soap box.

I appreciate your point about needing to drive it first. I am sure that seat time will shed more light on this issue. However, I am approaching this with two assumptions. First that, as a driver, I would not be changing the IDS mode very often. Secondly, that the car's design and technology will allow for a single mode to provide for an engaging multi-dimensional driving experience much like the first gen car. So for example, the original NSX handles great but the ride does not beat you up, its quick but has good gas mileage, the engine whispers around town but sounds like an F1 car when you push it.

So if the car doesn't have to compromise much to be amazing in so many areas, then the modes can focus on unique driving situations and experiences to provide separate driving modes that are all very different from each other yet all provide a wonderful experience. If any 2 modes are too similar, then it feels redundant or confusing and you will probably just pick the one of the 2 that you like best and never use the other.

I wonder if that would be the case with the current modes of "Sport" and "Sport Plus" but I don't see that happening with Stealth, Sport and Senna.

Oh and if you don't like "Senna" then would it be good marketing to use something that comes from the Asian culture like Banzai or Ninja?

Just throwing that out there.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. Adding more battery power is merely adding more battery CAPACITY. Think of adding additional gas tanks for ICE. It doesn't make any more power... only enables it to further between fill-ups (or allows E motor assist to run longer w/o charging which could be a benefit). But adding either (tanks of fuel or batteries) makes the vehicle slower due to added and non power increased weight.
In theory you could add more batteries in series... raising voltage which then could enable significantly more power. But the overvoltage would create overheating (increase current squared) and overload destroy the e motor.
Just think of taking a 120 volt motored tool and plugging it to a 240 volt source. Poof!

Your right with about if they are connected in parallel not sure how the added battery packs will be wired all i know while in Japan recently a couple of us were told the extra battery packs will increase power output. As for the std pack we were also told they would not run out of puff no matter how hard or long you drive the car so the extra packs are for performance not longevity.

Let's try this again. If you add more battery power (in parallel as it would have to be) you will (technically) get more power ... sorta. But not more ponies or torque than is/was there originally. With more battery "capacity" power on tap, the E motors can provide power assistance (and power for torque vectoring) longer (in time) due to a larger stored capacity bank. And as such I guess you can "somewhat" say the ICE will "be able" provide more power in that it won't need to be dealing power losses consumed for battery recharging or maintaining charge as often. Info out there so far suggests the rear E motor connected to the ICE is the primary battery bank generator. So it is either acting as a motor providing power or as a generator (using ICE common shaft power) to charge the batteries. ( I suspect it can also be neutral, but not sure) When battery i.e. parasite losses). ("no free lunch") It doesn't mean the ICE or E Motors will make more power than OEM due to more battery capacity. And again I have to point out more battery on board means more dead weight on board making the car slower. Plus when the rear motor has to morph into Gen mode it will then need to do so for a longer time (hence unavailable for assist power longer) because it has to replenish more battery stored power. I apologize for trying to provide (IMHO) a simplistic explanation of how "I think" things work with and w/o added batteries. The bottom line is the new NSX has a very complex drive train. We need to trust ACURA and the engineers for doing due diligence (design, experimenting, exhaustive testing) to get the right (as best they can) blend of useful battery and e motor effects, not to mention the complex ECU programing to make all the variables possible work... seamlessly and reliably and hopefully for a long time. OK off my soap box ... again.

I appreciate your point about needing to drive it first. I am sure that seat time will shed more light on this issue. However, I am approaching this with two assumptions. First that, as a driver, I would not be changing the IDS mode very often. Secondly, that the car's design and technology will allow for a single mode to provide for an engaging multi-dimensional driving experience much like the first gen car. So for example, the original NSX handles great but the ride does not beat you up, its quick but has good gas mileage, the engine whispers around town but sounds like an F1 car when you push it.

So if the car doesn't have to compromise much to be amazing in so many areas, then the modes can focus on unique driving situations and experiences to provide separate driving modes that are all very different from each other yet all provide a wonderful experience. If any 2 modes are too similar, then it feels redundant or confusing and you will probably just pick the one of the 2 that you like best and never use the other.

I wonder if that would be the case with the current modes of "Sport" and "Sport Plus" but I don't see that happening with Stealth, Sport and Senna.

Oh and if you don't like "Senna" then would it be good marketing to use something that comes from the Asian culture like Banzai or Ninja?

Just throwing that out there.

Just saw that the 2017 911 Carrera S also has 4 drive modes: Individual, Normal, Sport and Sport +. There is also a button you can press that gives extra power for 20 seconds. They must be reading Prime LOL.

Drive mode names are meh tho.

Just saw that the 2017 911 Carrera S also has 4 drive modes: Individual, Normal, Sport and Sport +. There is also a button you can press that gives extra power for 20 seconds. They must be reading Prime LOL.

Drive mode names are meh tho.

More than you need to know.....

What’s new is the mode switch on the steering wheel, derived from the 918 Spyder to make you feel closer to the racetrack. Without your hand leaving the steering wheel, you can choose any of four settings: Normal, SPORT, SPORT PLUS and Custom. Now you can adapt the vehicle even more to the way you want to drive.

On activation of SPORT PLUS mode, Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) and, in the S models, optional Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) and optional rear axle steering adapt for enhanced roadholding performance by switching to a sportier damper setting and offering more direct turn-in on entering the corner.

In combination with PDK, the Sport Chrono Package has three additional functions. The first is ‘Launch Control’, which can be used to achieve the best possible standing start – a racing start. The second function is the motorsportderived gearshift strategy. In this mode, Another few seconds faster. Under the skin. High-performance systems. PDK is geared up for extremely short shift times and optimum shift points for the maximum acceleration available.
This combination of uncompromising and involving performance is ideal for the racetrack.

The third function – SPORT Response – is brand new to the 911. Pressing the button in the centre of the mode switch primes the engine and transmission for the fastest possible unleashing of power. In other words, maximum responsiveness – for a period of approximately 20 seconds. A timer graphic in the instrument cluster tells you how long is left.

Another component of the Sport Chrono Package is the stopwatch mounted on the dashboard. In conjunction with PCM, a special performance display enables you to view, store and evaluate lap times or other driving times. It shows the total driving time, lap distance, lap number and lap times recorded so far.

Dynamic engine mounts are also part of the Sport Chrono Package. The electronically controlled system minimises the perceptible oscillations and vibrations of the entire drivetrain, particularly the engine, and combines the benefits of a hard or soft engine mounting arrangement. In short, it enhances both driving stability and driving comfort.

PSM Sport

In conjunction with the optional Sport Chrono Package, PSM is supplemented by a ‘Sport’ mode. It allows a significantly more sporty driving style, with PSM remaining active in the background. For a further enhancement to your driving experience.

PASM sports suspension

The PASM sports suspension is available as an option for the S models of the Coupé and only in conjunction with 20-inch wheels.
The ride height is 10 mm lower than with the PASM suspension. The springs are harder and shorter, and the anti-roll bars on the front and rear axles are stiffer. The front spoiler lip has an even sportier geometry, the rear spoiler extends even more. Not only does this further reduce lift at the front axle, it also provides downforce at the rear axle for improved aerodynamics and even better performance – combined with a surprisingly high level of comfort.

And here I thought I signed up to a NSX forum. I really don't give a flying f--- about anything regarding that long in the tooth glorified overpriced Volkswagen. This company has proven itself to be run by a bunch of criminals and yet you guys continue to place them on a pedestal.

haha the King is Hugh of the north:wink:

read some of his old posts and his opinions of other car brands...:wink:

Current issue of Car and Driver has an article titled Horse Shoes by Don Sherman and is about the carbon fiber wheels that are on the Ford Mustang GT350R. It says each wheel is 14 - 15 pounds lighter for a total weight savings of 58 lbs. They tested the acceleration from 30-50 mph with aluminum wheels and then with the carbon fiber wheels and found the car's top gear acceleration dropped from 10.8 seconds to 9.9 seconds. They also say that these wheels "are not susceptible to fatigue failure. Minor surface rash can be repaired with standard painting methods."

Also, Randy Probst drove the car fitted with them on the track in a Head to Head with the Camaro and he raved about the Ford in part because of the wheels:

<iframe class="restrain" title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vtdtGgf1BF0?wmode=opaque" frameborder="0" id="yui-gen42" style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);"></iframe>

Oh and the replacement costs for the wheels are between $3,433 and $4,053 each but if they are offered on a $67K Mustang, why shouldn't Honda make them available on NSX 2.0?

The front wheels on the Mustang are 19" X 10.5" the back are 19" X 11". I think the rears end up weighing 18 lb.s. Koenigsegg found a way to get his wheels from 22 lbs. in forged aluminum down to 13 lbs. in carbon fiber for a 19" X 10" wheel!

The thing that excites me the most about this technology is that it pays dividends in acceleration, braking and handling with no reduction in fuel economy or ride quality. In fact ride quality actually improves.

Last edited:
Oh and the replacement costs for the wheels are between $3,433 and $4,053 each but if they are offered on a $67K Mustang, why shouldn't Honda make them available on NSX 2.0?

The front wheels on the Mustang are 19" X 10.5" the back are 19" X 11". I think the rears end up weighing 18 lb.s. Koenigsegg found a way to get his wheels from 22 lbs. in forged aluminum down to 13 lbs. in carbon fiber for a 19" X 10" wheel!

The thing that excites me the most about this technology is that it pays dividends in acceleration, braking and handling with no reduction in fuel economy or ride quality. In fact ride quality actually improves.

I'm excited to see more and more aftermarket offerings in this area. If the acceleration numbers are that drastic, then I'd say, the extra cost is warranted.

I've seen some reviewers complain about the new NSX's single tone horn. They compared it to a Geo Metro's horn!

Honestly, the original's horn is not very impressive either. Does anyone feel that their horn should be more "manly" and commanding and that the new NSX should have the same?

Also, what do Ferrari, Lambo or Porsche horns sound like? Do they compare to a good ole american horn or do they tend toward the Geo Metro sound?

Last edited:

Probably because Honda has no experience with carbon fiber wheels. Honda tends to error on the side of using only what they know and understand. Ford is far more willing to take risks. If a special limited production Mustang model develops wheel problems it will have no effect on Ford. But if the NSX develops wheel problems Acura will be given a black eye. Not only is the NSX a more important symbol for Acura than the Mustang is for Ford, but everyone expects Acura to not have problems of this sort.

Back