• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

and the competition steps it up already - there's a new McLaren & Lambo almost here..

fastaussie

Suspended
and the competition steps it up already - there's a new McLaren & Lambo almost here..

Honda better turn that boost way up, real quick. the McLaren 720S is here, with presumably almost as much horsepower as its name. and the Lamborghini Huracan Performante is coming soon also. and it lapped the Nurburgring faster than the Porsche 918's 6:57 lap. both versions of the previous cars were already a good bit quicker than the NSX, so it looks like the Honda wondercar is about to get pushed further down the performance order shortly...

View attachment 142235

The performante is fucking nanners....
https://youtu.be/6ULSUcERlQQ
However, the 918 doesn't have roll bars and a track seat. So I think this will be a track only version.

Last edited:
From the read though it appears to be a road ready car. Holy crap that is almost zonda R times!

Given the (lack of) reliability of McLaren's, I've started to think of them as akin to Lotus Espirit's. I've seen some people defending them, but many more listing problem after problem.

Anyone know the MSRP's for the 720 and Performante?

Anyone know the MSRP's for the 720 and Performante?
Probably triple the amount of an nsx. Being that the 720S is the 650S replacement.

I think the 720 will start below $300K but the customer specs will add $30k-$50k

To me the NSX is at the low end of the super car space, lower priced than the 570S and about the same as an R8

Anything Lambo and this 720 will be in another price tier, aligned with the 488

Last edited:
720S has a newly designed carbon tub with T-tops which allow for easy in and outs.

I think the 720 will start below $300K but the customer specs will add $30k-$50k

To me the NSX is at the low end of the super car space, lower priced than the 570S and about the same as an R8

Anything Lambo and this 720 will be in another price tier, aligned with the 488

i'd agree with that, probably around $300,000 for either before you get crazy with the options. but like it or not, they're still two more cars in the Supercar kingdom that the NSX will be compared to.

From the read though it appears to be a road ready car. Holy crap that is almost zonda R times!

correct, the cage is just for the ring. it has lovely alcantara seats. and the gains in performance sound like two things, less weight and active aero.

farking hell, i'm impressed. and i was already really impressed with the standard Huracan...

I agree, it is VERY impressive! Given the full race spec zonda r did the ring in 6.47. But I disagree that a 720 hp 4.0L twin turbo from Mclaren will be priced under 300K.

I've just looked at various cars and priced out a white with red interior base unit with similar specs to get an idea of how they stack up.
All prices are MSRP:

GTR $ 116,685 - steel brakes
NSX $158,300 - steel
Porsche Turbo $ 160,680 - steel
R8 V10 $ 162,900 - steel
GTR Nismo $177,685 - steel
McLaren 570S $ 184,900 - ceramic
Porsche Turbo S $189,150 - ceramic
R8 V10 Plus $ 189,900 - ceramic
McLaren 720 $280K +?
Lamborghini Performante $300K + ?

The clear performance bargain is the GTR.
I suspect it appeals to a different buyer than the mid-engined and Porsche models so not sure it really competes with them.

For the mid-engined cars the base NSX looks priced about right.
It seems to be positioned just about where the first generation one was in relation to the competition.

The Porsche Turbo looks like a relative bargain given it's performance.

As prices get close to $180K the cars get faster as one would expect.

Of course all these cars can be optioned to the moon and can add $50K to the purchase price in a heartbeat although I think the base cars have the same performance as the loaded up ones.

I'm not sure the NSX really is competing against the 720, Performante, and 488.
They would seem to be in another price/performance league altogether.

Last edited:
because there are sportscars, Supercars, and now Hypercars. those are the three categories for now, and that's how they compare to each other...

3/6/17........2018 Porsche GT3 press release

http://press.porsche.com/news/pdf/2017_pdf/17_Porsche_911_GT3_Press_Release.pdf

The 2018 911 GT3 is scheduled to reach U.S. dealers in fall 2017. The base MSRP will be $143,600, excluding the $1,050 delivery, processing, and handling fee.

Also - 6 speed manual in lieu of PDK dual clutch available

Excerpt from interview W/ Porsche's Andreas Preuninger - GT Division head

Will production be limited?

"Production is not limited, but we have certain limitations in the daily outcome of how many cars we can build. Although we are open to it we cannot build 10,000, this car it will always be limited by the production capacity we have. We have about 4,000 or the last one and we are curious to see if that repeats, we are ready for that.

"The main market is US, as often these days, second biggest is Germany and then is England, so you are in the top three. But the additional consumers that bought the car are evenly spread, relatively evenly spread."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHFSsdqLntw

Last edited:
3/6/17........2018 Porsche GT3 press release. The 2018 911 GT3 is scheduled to reach U.S. dealers in fall 2017. The base MSRP will be $143,600, excluding the $1,050 delivery, processing, and handling fee. Also - 6 speed manual in lieu of PDK dual clutch available

Great value Steve.
Looks like Porsche is working at maintaining/increasing market share in the face of a very competitive market segment.

The clear performance bargain is the GTR.

Ahem. The C7 Z06 has MSRP of $79K (Steel) and is faster around the track than any of the other cars that you can actually buy today (New Lambo and McLaren will presumably be faster, but 4X the price). And the revised 2017 Z06 with Manual Transmission doesn't even overheat on hot track days anymore (bonus!).

We're talking about performance, right?

How do two cars well above the price of a nsx make it get pushed down? Just another thread for fast Aussie to bash NSX's.

That said, the new Lamborghini performance is insane. Wow.

Ahem. The C7 Z06 has MSRP of $79K (Steel) and is faster around the track than any of the other cars that you can actually buy today (New Lambo and McLaren will presumably be faster, but 4X the price). And the revised 2017 Z06 with Manual Transmission doesn't even overheat on hot track days anymore (bonus!). We're talking about performance, right?

Right you are Chris.
Should have included it in my list.
It is the bargain performance machine.

How do two cars well above the price of a nsx make it get pushed down? Just another thread for fast Aussie to bash NSX's.

That said, the new Lamborghini performance is insane. Wow.

they're all Supercars mate. they'll be judged against each other regardless of price...

p.s. i started this thread, i'll bash whatever i want!

they're all Supercars mate. they'll be judged against each other regardless of price...

p.s. i started this thread, i'll bash whatever i want!

Meh, nobody I know ever compared a 650s to the new nsx except wei-Shen because he owns them both.

Back