• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Virtual Display on RealDash app

After playing for days on RealDash app it grow on me and next logical thing was to get it on to my car. It's work in progress, still need to decipher the pin outs on the cluster to get safety indicators working but PDSX-1 box does analog to digital and will send PID's to RealDash over bluetooth. When done all indicators like engine light, blinkers, door, seatbelt warning will be all working and displayed. For now just got the Samsung Galaxy tablet hold by duck tape and cut out adapter plate to get it fitted in the cluster. On the vid it's running simulation mode, nothing is connected to the car yet. Each virtual display can fully be customized, from the colors to font sizes, graphics etc.. It would be cool to digitize the old needle gauge but that is beyond me. Gears displayed are calculated after gear ratios, tire/wheel sizes are entered.

Interesting. Does it connect to the OBD port to get data?

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Yes, it can use any of the OBD port adapters, just need a good one because the ebay knock offs have low pid rate and will have delay in reading. Good to read a code not good to stream data. I'm using this OBDlink LX it supposed to have 100 pids/s. I test it on couple of cars and it's as real time as it can get over bluetooth.

I think I got all the pin outs for the cluster.
f2b3fa64773d6de12d159dcfc573137f.jpg

Can’t make my mind if I want to have mix of modern and old needles or just have the display. I guess need to see what looks better but below are my options. Let me know what layout looks better.

5516c0f2406ce2038f85c2f96037da01.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I like #1

The rest may make the screen too busy.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Yea, I'm steering towards it too. Little more work to get the oem side gauges in place and the indicator lights but might look more factory. I think the new nsx has two manual gauges on the sides and the display in the middle.

Made a little progress on the adapter plate. The needle gauges will fit but the indicator lights are in the way so had to skip on that. Next I need to work on ss rings around the gauges and glass cover for them.

This is rought mockup, give an idea how it looks.

6229f100287ad18894ed90044597a470.plist
a73ce975913b2e980fab39c40754594c.plist
bfed972d285e3c9b4b20f603679c0b8d.plist
553fb667633addc62b36a2867091cfda.plist
3f72e6774ebf3d4bde6af381325fbf68.plist
e849118f41e7e49a3901573821f865e4.plist
162bef9c92d4b6cac245e0f4588181d0.plist

Nice progress!

Thanks! I attempted to work on the rings but run out of material to cut, might be another two weeks before I get it. There is enough space to install acrylic glass to protect it from elements.

620b635a13cd3d0b5a57ab2ce998c7c6.jpg
994ca1bf2de33afb52828cc08fda9d36.plist

e4e1cb3917ef7d6963afa691a659ba05.jpg

Last edited:
Was able to source some material and made all 4 rings with acrylic glass to cover it. Next week hoping to work on the wiring harness. Some updates pics.

11bf6e93b5c9fd6e05323e6178fddbab.jpg
ede3a1d8f2499bc7e5f47ed21eb28d5c.jpg
cf38414c6ba68ebc96289ae65dc2e587.plist
0a259e47a464ff37f023bf5c02fa526b.plist
732442f5ac1b5275bf3621c3cca8a6b1.plist
2ab248f0c51c704ad4c42dae20372db7.plist

Yea, it's pretty cool, specially since everything is fully customized. The app is a real deal not a toy as some of the apps are. It even has engine service reminder, as it gets closer to oil change it will remind and speak out the service is getting closer or due. The service mileage is adjustable, I set my to 5000 miles.

Over the weekend I play with 4 different OBD2 adapters, I tested them all and in every single one the RPM always had delay, some less then the others but it was either jumpy or it would studded or always few milliseconds behind. In my Jetta that is all canbus it was not as bad. On NSX it was worst and it would eat on me in long run for sure, I even try usb to serial adapter on Android and eliminated bluetooth all together. From my tests that I done the delay issue is not related to bluetooth adapter at all but I narrow it down to slowness how fast the ECU can send the data. The OEM ECU sends the data very slow and it's the buttleneck and not the obd2 adapter for sure.

My dashbox arrived and I just connected rpm signal directly from the cluster and it' reads super super fast zero delay, it reads RPM's butter smooth and it can display the RPM faster then the old needle could move, LOL. The "Dashbox" module is def the way to go, it connects over bluetooth but the sensors connect directly to it. It has 16 inputs to integrate indicator lights and gauges. Since I keep 4 original needle gauges it leaves me with more to use. The support from "dashbox" is awesome, my RPM's were initially reading high, I ping them on FB and instantly they responded, I had my config set for two cams, once I set it to one pickup it read correctly, they provide fast support. I'm sure I'll need them as I get other inputs configured.

I'm also using macrodroid app with two macros. When I start the car and the tablet notice charge in USB, the macro unlocks tablet and opens realdash, so I don't need to wake up table it does automatically. When I turn car off the second macro notices usb charge out and it kills realdash app and powers off tablet. The nice thing about android all can be configured. The Ipad does have nicer display but it can't be as customized, apple locks a lot of things.

I can’t wait to finish this, but every time I move forward I go back and change something in layout. From ss plate I went back to acrylic painted black metal metallic. I also added 6 led lights indicators, 3 on each side from 97 civic. I think I like it more this way. I’m hoping this is my last change to this.
89ddfd0dad55192bc84b684ce235ed5e.plist
b9a0491c66b254300a1ced523b61625b.plist
1a32b2377bacc7e5a15da91ff8b1b643.plist
910bcdc9bc143f00015128d4de9d8329.jpg

Wow, this is an awesome project. I like the 6 indicator lights. It matches well with the analog needles.

Funny use of a drink coaster. I guess since we are not traveling, might as well use your passport for something useful. :)

This is awesome! I'm assuming it doesn't work for OBD1 though?

With dashbox module it’s not obd specific, it does not need obd port to run as the dashbox module converts the analog to digital signal and sends it over Bluetooth directly. It will work on any year nsx. I have a jswap motor in my nsx that comes with obd2 port, I might use only couple of inputs like throttle position, o2 readout etc.. stuff that I don’t need to know but it’s cool to see it being displayed. This opens doors to ton of customization. I fallen in to this rabbit hole and keep on changing what I actually like. It’s hard to decide when you have a blank page to design something. I didn’t like it too much initially being so naked with out any needle gauges. Yea adding the led indicators and needle gauges fills in the space. I think I could still fill in the gap where old mileage read out was with arduino oled displays on each side but I’m going back and forth if this would be too much. I want to finish this thing and too many ideas comes with customization. Lol.

Some fails that didn’t make the cut
380963e8cce1710c9eb4caa1c548faa9.jpg

The indicators are 5mm diodes that activate with ground. +12v is constant.
11629aac48dc55103332286de1592768.jpg

51a6cfc4c8efbad667278b20e132dcf6.jpg

I agree there's a tad too much gap between the analog gauges and the screen. Perhaps just move them closer to the screen? Each version is looking better and better. Looking forward to seeing the end result!

Yea, I try to get it as close as possible but between the tablet edge and lcd there is over half inch of just area that can't be used. I wanted to get some sort of TPMS display but can't find anything compact and appealing. There is this cool TPMS with internal and external tire temperature distribution that can be displayed in the main screen but costs arm and a leg. It's cool how it can display tire temp difference from inside to outside, I guess this would be more useful for track guys.

What's wrong with putting it in the center console? I would still want my dash in case the digital one fails... Also you can't really see the dash when you are turning your wheel. One of the many issues I have with my GS-F.

What's wrong with putting it in the center console? I would still want my dash in case the digital one fails... Also you can't really see the dash when you are turning your wheel. One of the many issues I have with my GS-F.

True that, I’m sure with digital dash I’ll look at it more often. Wish I test drive the car already with it but there is always something I need to either redo or order a part and waiting on it.

Back