• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX crash test info? There is none.

Lately I've gotten curious on how an NSX holds up in a wreck. Recently a family member was hit nearly head on by a drunk driver while riding in a '98 Accord. The truck came completly out of nowhere, with no time for the driver to react. The car held up suprisingly well considering both vehicles were going ~55mph and the other one was a '92 full size Chevy pickup. The passenger walked away, the driver didn't fare quite as well, but is expected to make a full recovery.

It got me wondering how NSX's are. I've looked though the gallery, and while there are some nasty pictures, other's aren't so bad. Problem is, no details are given so you dont know if the impact was at 30mph or 75. And after searching, it dosen't really seem to be discussed much anywhere. I would imagine with the engine behind you, there isn't a whole lot up front to protect you (besides a spare tire! ;) ) Going to be comparing it with an S2000 as well, which actually seems to do really well.

Does anyone have any personal expirences to share?

Just for refrence, here is the accord and truck. Im thinking the driver in an NSX in a similar crash woulden't have suvived. :frown:
dui22nj.jpg

dui18aw.jpg

No...survival from that angle in any sports car is dicey. I have been in one total loss accident in an NSX and the car fared well structurally. It hit stationary objects. Aluminum is a pretty good metal for this type of duty.

The NSX is an incredibly strong vehicle, due to its extreme rigidity.

The NSX is probably one of the safest sports cars you can buy.

Trust me, I know. I saw a few photos of a rolled NSX at NSXPO, and talked to the driver who survived the crash with nothing but a scratch. He was not shaken at all, and bought another NSX to make it virtually identical to the previous NSX.

That should tell you something about the safety of the NSX.

Attachments

• crash.jpg
    crash.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 972
From what I can see from our members who wrecked and told ,ocupants do well after significant hits,and if you examine the cars carefuly you notice how much deformation there is,suggesting that the nsx absorbs and disapaits a lot of the forces,protecting its' occupants :smile: Whether this was designed in or is a result of its materials exclusive of design,I do not know.

crash test photos

Attachments

• crashtest.gif
    crashtest.gif
    95 KB · Views: 1,037
Well... NSX design dates back from late 80's And I don't think they even have offset frontal crash testing yet. Everything is still based on straight on colision. So guys. If u even crash your car ur best bet would be head on. Don't even try to steer. Just make sure its straight! LOL

For all of u want to know what a NSX Crash looks like check out the following site:

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/nsx/index.shtml

NA1R said:
Well... NSX design dates back from late 80's And I don't think they even have offset frontal crash testing yet. Everything is still based on straight on colision. So guys. If u even crash your car ur best bet would be head on. Don't even try to steer. Just make sure its straight! LOL

For all of u want to know what a NSX Crash looks like check out the following site:

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/nsx/index.shtml
Let's dispel this misconception right here.

The NSX meets all crash standards up to 2005. If they didn't meet offset frontal crash standards they would have significantly changed the cabin design.

Since the cabin design didn't change significantly, I think it's safe to say that the NSX meets all modern crash standards since its inception.

Like I said, the NSX is an incredibly strong vehicle. Don't develop a misconception that a 15 year old design is not up to modern standards (thru 2005). These are fantastic cars, and they are incredibly strong and safe.

"they are incredibly strong and safe."

Is that your opinion or a fact? I guess back to the original question - where is the data to back-up the statement?? Don't get me wrong, I'd like nothing better than to prove your correct...

gfunk808 said:
I'd like nothing better than to prove your correct...

I think we have a volunteer to do a test for us! :biggrin:

I had really hoped I would hear these kind of responses. :smile: Definatly makes me feel a bit better if I do end up with one. Safety had always been an afterthought for me when considering an NSX, but recently it has become quite a concern. You can't always avoid a wreck, but Im sure quick lane changes and bieng able to stop fast are is one of the best safty features the car has.

gfunk808 said:

Is that your opinion or a fact? I guess back to the original question - where is the data to back-up the statement?? Don't get me wrong, I'd like nothing better than to prove your correct...
That is a fact.

There is data. Lots of data. The fact I drive one proves it.

"Is that your opinion or a fact? I guess back to the original question - where is the data to back-up the statement?? Don't get me wrong, I'd like nothing better than to prove your correct..."

The answer was given, the design didn't change. Therefore no design change was required from 1991 thru 2005. Get it? 1991 cars still meet current standards. That's my take on it anyway. :biggrin:

Here is a recent pic of a NSX accident in Japan. The driver of the silver NSX walked away with minor injuries (broken jaw I believe).

The guy in the second red NSX was not so lucky. Yes there are TWO wreked NSX in this pic.

Attachments

• FI1761977_1E.jpg
    FI1761977_1E.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 848
i wonder how this crash happend, how many cars were involved? 4?

S|b said:
i wonder how this crash happend, how many cars were involved? 4?

Crash happened around 8 am on 8/21/05 near Osaka Japan. I think the report said 5 cars involved total. (you can see the skid marks for the 5th car at the top of the pic) From the report it sounds like some one was making a down hill turn and crossed the line on to incoming traffic and hit head on.

The other 3 slammed into the initial accident.

Well guys... It really just comes down to this point. SPEED KILLS. SLOW DOWN! I mean... yes sure enough that there many safety factor have been accounted for when designing any car. sure enough they are getting safer and safer. But when u are going too fast. U gonna kill yourself or someone else. Doesn't really even if u are in a Volvo or Mercedes won't be any different. (ie. Princess Diana)

Back