• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

02 911 carrera2 coupe vs 02 NSX-T

I know all the specs on both cars and I did test drive an 02 911 and I owned a 91 NSX as well.

Here are my questions to anyone who has owned/driven both for an extended period of time, as I can't seem to decide on the answer myself.

- Which car did you "feel" is more "tossable"?
- Which car did you "feel" is more "nimble" than the other?
- Which car is the better daily driver in such criteria as "more forgiving suspension", "lighter clutch", etc....

I narrowed my choices to these two and I am having really hard time picking between the two based on the above criteria.

Thanks

A coupe usually feels more nimble. Daily driver more reliable Honda. If you decide on the 996 make sure you purchase extended warranty. You can buy a 2000 996 for the price of a 91 NSX not much difference between 00-02 996. The price of 02 NSX thats near 996 turbo range.

I know all the specs on both cars and I did test drive an 02 911 and I owned a 91 NSX as well.

Here are my questions to anyone who has owned/driven both for an extended period of time, as I can't seem to decide on the answer myself.

- Which car did you "feel" is more "tossable"?
- Which car did you "feel" is more "nimble" than the other?
- Which car is the better daily driver in such criteria as "more forgiving suspension", "lighter clutch", etc....

I narrowed my choices to these two and I am having really hard time picking between the two based on the above criteria.

Thanks
All that counts is what you think!

The only reason that I would choose the '02 996 C2 is if I needed back seats. Also if you can afford a '02 nsx, I would be looking at a 996tt since they are in the low to high 50's:eek: Before I bought my '97 nsx, I was really looking at the 996tt, I think these are great buys right now. Not many cars you can get for mid50's that is putting out 415HP. Plus I think they have pretty much taken all the depreciation. I got a great deal on my nsx and therefore couldn't pass it up. Also the C2 is not special you'll just be like the rest of the hundreds and thousands of Pcars out there.

Being the owner of both cars, I can tell you that the NSX is better. Like NSXFriend said, make sure you get the extended warranty or Porsche CPO if you decided to get the 996. RMS is a well known issue. You need to check engine oil level every other day (that's most 996 owners do), and the most shocking is engine failure in the 996 series. You don't know what year, what milage would have engine failure. If you do not have warranty, the cost is $15k. That's why I switched from 996 back to NSX. Do a serch at Rennlist before you pull the trigger on the 996.

NSX is a better daily driver, turns more head, and hold value way better than the 996. The 996 is faster and better corning but the back is too heavy. I believe NSX has better weight distribution compare to the 996.

If your price range is at the 2002 NSX level, then the Porsche to compare should be the 996tt. Being a Porsche guy myself, I will never buy a 996 C2 since its price drops like free falling and for God's sake that ugly look. I really think the 996 C2 is simply the most poorly executed Porsche 911 ever.
Steve

My budget is not really in the 02 NSX range - it is high 30s - low 40s which is probably a 98 NSX

Also I do hate turbo engines - I had a 3000GT and couldn't wait to get rid of it - I can't stand turbo lag and I much prefer the linear performance of the NA engines

back seats is also a plus as I have two young kids 5&2 although I don't know how crazy is it to stick my kids in those seats

my buddy "had" a 01 C2 with aero kit and all the bolt ons you can add to a p-car. I have a 97 nsx-t with l/h/e....

we were on the freeway and we were doin pulls on the freeway starting at 60mph. I got him everytime... the vtec kicked in and i would start to pull away.

The week after that he sold his C2 and bought a used E 55. Now i have no shot!!! But i keep reminding him why he changed cars.... hahaha

my buddy "had" a 01 C2 with aero kit and all the bolt ons you can add to a p-car. I have a 97 nsx-t with l/h/e....

we were on the freeway and we were doin pulls on the freeway starting at 60mph. I got him everytime... the vtec kicked in and i would start to pull away.

The week after that he sold his C2 and bought a used E 55. Now i have no shot!!! But i keep reminding him why he changed cars.... hahaha

My dentist has a lightly modded E55 and he pretty much destroys anything he races. Great choice by your buddy.

Keep the NSX versus the C2, if you can afford a little more, get a 996TT and you'll be very happy with it's performance.

Also I do hate turbo engines - I had a 3000GT and couldn't wait to get rid of it - I can't stand turbo lag and I much prefer the linear performance of the NA engines

The 3000GT and the 996TT are totally different.

All that counts is what you think!

Exactly. I've owned an 03 NSX and an 05 Carrera S. Sure, the Carrera outperformed the NSX in many ways, but If I had to own one of those cars today it would be the NSX. Why? Beauty, vehicle dynamics and driving position.

I've been in love with 911's since college in the early 80's, and I've finally come to the conclusion that the rear engine is just wrong. So much of the 911 is engineered to tame that rear end.

I sold my 996 in order to upgrade to the NSX. The engine failure rate with the 996 had me a bit concerned. I did love the car and it had a totally different feel than the NSX. The NSX you can take "flat" into a turn at a good clip whereas the 911 you could not. The 911 did have a clear advantage on long sweeping turns since the back tires had massive grip and it would just "plant" itseld into the turn. I still do not have that kind of confidence with the NSX but I am sure I will get there once I do a few track days. The 911 rumbles a bit more than the NSX and the clutch is mutch heavier. I felt that with the 911 you felt more in tune with the road. The steering feel and brakes were better in the 996. The steering feel was awesome! I do miss that. All in all I think the NSX is far more exotic looking, WAY more reliable, less depreciation, "T top" great in SoCal and I do not drive by 10 on my way to work:smile:

Keep in mind that if you purchase a TT or a GT3 they have different engine blocks than a standard 996 and they do not have the main engine seal issues. I have been recently thinking of the TT :rolleyes: In the mid 50's you can pick up a car that is only a few years old that stickered at 130k +- that is not too common. And is fast as ever! The TT is now rivaling the NSX as a sports car bargin IMO...

Just my .02 Good luck on your decision.

I currently have a 2002 C4S. It's the most reliable car I've ever owned. It has 55k miles and the engine is perfect, never had an problems, oil leaks, etc.

Timely maintenance is crucial on p-cars. If all maintenance is up to date, the cars can go 200k miles with no problems.

Some of the 3.4H cars (1999-2001) have had engine failures, RMS (oil leaks). I would stay clear of them but 2002 and up with the 3.6H engine, you should be fine.

I won't buy one used with out all the maintenance records. Most independent dealers won't have that. You are better off buying privately from an owner with all the service records. if you are going to buy an 02, I would spend an extra 5k and get a C4S instead of a base C2.

The C4S gives you the look, all wheel drive, wider body, brakes, tires and sport suspension of the turbo for a lot less than a turbo.

I am currently looking to buy a NA2 Nsx but I'm keeping my C4S.

if you are going to buy an 02, I would spend an extra 5k and get a C4S instead of a base C2.

The C4S gives you the look, all wheel drive, wider body, brakes, tires and sport suspension of the turbo for a lot less than a turbo.

I was thinking about the C4S as well but I don't want the stiffer suspension as I will probably put my kids in the back seats and I know they suffered from the E46 M3 I had. Also I beleive the C4S has a stiffer clutch which I will not enjoy in the rush hour driving.

if you are going to buy an 02, I would spend an extra 5k and get a C4S instead of a base C2.

I was thinking about the C4S as well but I don't want the stiffer suspension as I will probably put my kids in the back seats and I know they suffered from the E46 M3 I had. Also I beleive the C4S has a stiffer clutch which I will not enjoy in the rush hour driving.

I'd steer clear of the 04 or earlier C4S. Get a base 997 for the same $ (model yr 2005). The 98 - 04 models are 996's. The 997 generation is an improved 911. Most importantly, the interior is nicer.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searc...=&transmission=&max_price=&sort_type=priceASC

I will probably put my kids in the back seats and I know they suffered from the E46 M3 I had.

If you must drive both kids around at the same time, you already know that an NSX just won't work; with that said, the 996 too is a *very* tight fit especially if your kids insist on foot space. It most certainly is a tighter squeeze than the E46 backseat.

I had an '02 C4 Cab. With our child seat configuration (pics at this RennTech thread) we had to have the passenger seat pushed all the way forward (rendering *it* useless for my wife) lest the kid protest out of the ride.

The car was extremely easy to drive quickly and forgiving while hustling it through the hills; clutch weight was not at all a problem. It was also better suited for anonymous jaunts to the supermarket. My 94 NSX definitely draws more parking lot attention, wanted or not.

The 996 had a new engine installed under warranty at 31K miles (crankshaft offset beyond tolerance) and had additional warranty work performed for RMS issues right up to 45K miles. At the time I bought the car I shelled out for an extended warranty coverage (at $4K-ish?) for fears that catastrophic issues would resurface. The coverage never had to be invoked, but probably made it easier to sell the car.

The delta between purchase & sales price, over the 2 years and 7K miles I owned the car, was $12K. This doesn't include the running cost & extended warranty. There's a LOT of 996s out there for sale, so expect them to continue on their steep depreciation curve. I agree with the earlier posts that 996TTs are looking like a performance bargain these days.

Given your budget, and if space allows, might I recommend an early NSX *and* a 911SC? Resale values are relatively stable, maintenance costs reasonable, and at least on my 73.5 911T (unlike the 996 that one's a keeper), the rear space for the kids is noticeably larger.

Given your budget, and if space allows, might I recommend an early NSX *and* a 911SC? Resale values are relatively stable, maintenance costs reasonable, and at least on my 73.5 911T (unlike the 996 that one's a keeper), the rear space for the kids is noticeably larger.

I prefer the looks of pre 74 cars light bumpers no emissions etc but parts are not easy to come by like the 78SC, an early Carrera 84-86 can be had for nearly same price of SC.

engine failures in the 996 carrera is very scary - it is not only the RMS issue - there are other issues.

There are also few engine failures in the 997 model reported

Look you aren't buying this car for its practicality. Rear seats in a 996 are a joke, I mean really it is not even comfortable enough for an 8 year old. I am assuming you do have another car. If you do, then you are either of these cars is your "toy". If you are going to get a toy, and are ruling out the twin turbo, then do yourself a favor and get the NSX. It looks and feels more exotic, it is not scary at the limits, its engine is in the right place, its driving position is MUCH better, and overall, I think it is just a more fun car to drive.

I was in the supermarket the other day contemplating what kind of cookie to get. I am a healthy eater so I was looking for something a little more healthy. Then I saw this one brand, and it didn't look too healthy but it did look yummy. On the package it said "If you are going to have a cookie, HAVE A COOKIE!!"... lol... what brilliant marketing but it was true. If you are buying a toy, buy the fun one. Don't compromise. I have been following this forum for 3 years, I have yet to see someone say "You know I really made a mistake buying the NSX. I should have bought something else".

engine failures in the 996 carrera is very scary - it is not only the RMS issue - there are other issues.

There are also few engine failures in the 997 model reported

Amazing how those cars are supposedly superior to the NSX LOL

Back