• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

10 Year Anniversary Today :)

This may be a little long-winded but...if you will indulge me, would greatly appreciate it.
Like many of us who saw our first NSX in-person, the reaction(s) are usually "wow", or some form of amazement. Some of us even remember the exact date, place and time we saw our first NSX.
For me it was June 12th, 1992, a little after 1pm in Boulder, CO. I will never, ever forget it. This beautiful Red NSX pulled up next to us at a light. From that day on, I knew "one day I will own that car". In 1997 I married my Jr. High sweetheart and for some absurd reason decided it would be a good idea to finance an NSX; (even-though I was still in college and essentially, my wife and I lived pay-check to pay-check.
I was so smitten and obsessed with the NSX that I wouldn't be denied no matter how poor the decision was. Unfortunately, I did not complete any research nor determine the insurance cost. After getting approved for the loan on a 1991 Red / Ivory, I was excited about the purchase.....until I spoke with our Insurance agent. To my utter dismay, the insurance, (mostly because of my age at that time), was sky high. I owned, (sort-of), my first NSX for a grand total of.............. 1 month.

A couple years later I graduated from college and started an actual career at which time I started to think about getting another NSX. In early 2000 I found a 1993 black / black, original owner. This car had some flaws but ran very, very well. I looked beyond the flaws and really appreciated the fact that the original owner was very meticulous when it came to any maintance needs. So I bought it and absolutely loved it. :)

July 22nd, 2002:
I dropped-off our black '93 at the Stealership to have the brake fluid flushed. Later that afternoon, my most amazing wife went with me to pick-up our 1993. I immediately went down to the service dept. while she went over to their showroom area. As I was speaking with Paul, (NSX Tech), my wife came down to get me, (in a somewhat 'hurried' manner). The following conversation between my wife and I:
Her: you have to come up to the showroom and see this car!!

Me: sure; just give me a few minutes; I just want to finish talking with Paul about our car

Her: Please come up with me; you need to see this!

I looked at Paul and simply stated, I'll be back in a few.

As I walked up to the showroom area, I immediately noticed the Brand New '02 Blue / Blue. I told my wife, "wow, that is freaking beautiful".

I walked around it, sat in it, ect ect........at which point the next conversation occurred:

Her: I want you to get it

Me: Looking at her with a big "YEA RIGHT" look on my face.

Her: (reading my non-verbal reaction) -
I'm serious; this car is so beautiful and I want to buy it for you

Me: I agree it's beautiful but, I REALLY like our 1993. It runs really well and I absolutely enjoy driving it

Her: (she walked over to me, looked me straight in the eyes and made the following statement)
"I want to buy this for you; this will be your car and yours alone. No one other person will have owned this car. You deserve it, you have worked so hard to take care of our Family. I want you to get it because you deserve it.
I know how much you like the NSX and this is a chance for you to have one that only you have ever owned."

Me: (At this point I knew she was obviously very serious), however, I still made the following retort -
have you looked at the sticker..........

Her: I don't care; I want you to have it

Me: this is A LOT of freaking money for a car

Her: again - you deserve it, I want you to have it

Me: I Smiled and said - ok..... how about we go home, determine our budget and how much our Insurance is going to increase. Then, if we are absolutely certain it isn't going to put a strain on our Family, we'll buy it.

Her: that sounds perfect

July 23rd, 2002
Needless to say........... 10 years later - to the day........
Nearly 63k miles, 5 cross-country road trips, many other drives and at times, daily driven, (weather permitting). I can sat without hesitation, even 10 years later, when I drive it to work, at the end of the work day, as I am walking out to the far-end of the parking lot, I see beautiful Blue, I still have a huge smile on my face and think - "wow, I am very blessed!" :)

My impression(s) after 10 years of hard driving, some long road trips ect....I have said it before and I'll say it again - this is the best car ever made!

Following the break-in period back in 2002, there have been very few times that Blue did not see redline during a drive. Essentially, I have driven the crap out of it 99% of the time during the past 10 years and it has NEVER had one single issue; not ONE! It's freaking amazing to me.....
Yes - I absolutely take care of it in-terms of routine maintenance and the major service, (completed the tb/wp ect @ 7 years); but I never had to "dip into" the warranty from '02 - '06; never had even a minor issue. In my opinion, this is a testament to the engineers at Honda.

The main aspect of this car that really makes me happy and very proud of - is the fact that my kiddos have essentially spent most of their lives around it. :) I have 'groomed' two car enthusiasts, currently educating a 3rd ;)
At this point, Blue is a part of our Family, (as much as a Car could be) per se.

Here's to the next Ten Years of driving the best car ever made
Here's to this community - I joined Prime just shortly after we purchased Blue and I will say without question, NSXPrime is truly amazing! :)

I provided a few pics for reference; the first Pic I snapped when my kiddos were very little. The most recent taken just a few days ago.

I wanted to share this story as a HUGE Thank You to the best Wife God undeservedly blessed me with and 2nd - as a testament to the NSX.

Thank you for allowing me to share, I hope to meet many of you in September at NSXPO :)

Attachments

• Aug2002NSX.jpg
    Aug2002NSX.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 163
  • waxingBlue.jpg
    waxingBlue.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 157
  • DSC06221.jpg
    DSC06221.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 191
Amazing story, You have a great wife. Congrats and I can't wait to hear about it at 20 yrs.

BTW: Does your wife have any single sisters or anything??? :biggrin:

No :smile: no single sisters :smile:

Great story and congratulations on your anniversary with the NSX. It's great to see that you've made the car into part of the family. Amazing how fast the years fly by - I'll celebrate 10 years with my Legend in March and it still makes me smile every time I get behind the wheel. Thank you for sharing.

Side note, have fun at NSXPO! I was in DEN this weekend (actually rented a car & drove to Cheyenne, WY for Frontier Days). Colorado looks to be a gorgeous setting for an NSX meet.

Very heartwarming story, Joe! It rained in Phoenix over the weekend, and I did not drive my NSXs. I looked into my garage yesterday, and felt a bit like a fool for being so into a car. Reading your story today made me feel a lot better, and reminded me of why I have such a passion for the NSX. I can't wait to get off work and drive my NSX to the S2k meet tonight.

I'm looking forward to meeting you at NSXPO, and planning our Grand Canyon drive afterward!

Awesome story! Very cool that your wife did that for you...I am speechless.

This story made my day. Thanks for sharing it with us!
My first car at age 16 was a midnight blue '84 Celica GT (before Toyota ruined the Celica by making it front wheel drive.) To this day, its still my favorite color on any car I've ever had: no offense to my red NSX. :smile:
Looking forward to meeting you and Blue at NSXPO.

great story your wife must be the Bomb.

my wife now GF at the time of my first NSX purchased kinda said the same thing

the first day I picked my 92 up she was in front of me on the long trip home in my other car, she calls me and said do you wanna keep it?

I said f-yeah I do. she said OK we can flip the next one LOL

that was like 5 NSX's ago still and I still have her. hell I still have my first car which was a 1993 honda accord. it still runs, and finanlly getting a paint after all these years should be ready this friday. I drove by there to look at it and its all primed and ready to go.

I am glad you have had tons of fun with your NSX as we all will.

Last edited:
Yes, that is a wonderful anniversary story. Wagy I know you deserve it. And PHOEN$X,,,, bite your tongue. A little like a fool? No way. You are a wise man for indulging your passion. As long as you can afford it, Live for today. Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

A little like a fool? No way. You are a wise man for indulging your passion. As long as you can afford it, Live for today. Tomorrow is not guaranteed.
Agreed! So well-said! :)

That is an AMAZING story! But you know whats more amazing? Your wife.
Yea - could not agree more; without question I Married Up :)

Yea - could not agree more; without question I Married Up :)

Not everyone is so lucky. Yesterday I received a huge box at my house, and when my wife came home she said, 'What is THAT,' and I immediately decided to test the waters and said, 'It is the new rear diffuser for the CLK63 Black Series I just bought,' and I think the temperature in the room dropped about 30 degrees from the icy look she gave me. Evidently she was not keen on the idea of me getting one at this point, so I guess it will take some more smoothing over....or just having her read how great your wife is. Or (the most likely option) I will just get the car and deal with sleeping on the couch for a while. :biggrin:

Awesome story. I might be in a similar situation. My wife knows very well that I'm a gearhead. I'm looking to buy something in the near future. For some reason the NSX never came to mind until two days ago. I sent her a picture and asked her what she thought. Her response was "Holy hot, that car is gorgeous." That comment was preceded by her asking how often she could drive it and how awesome it would be to show off at work. Hopefully things will work out as well for me as they did for you and I'll have an NSX within the next few years.

Back