• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

11000rpm on my NSX Engine

:biggrin:
I am stupid, at 8000rpm in 3rd gear, I put the 2nd instead of the 4th gear :eek:
I see 10987rpm in the AEM.

No problem on my engine for moment, I checked my titanium retainer, it's OK.
I checked my compression, it's OK, 12bar on each cylinder.

Thank you to SOS for the springs, retainer and valve :biggrin:

Lucky guy! 1 rpm more and your engine would be f*ckup up now. :tongue::D

I am stupid, at 8000rpm in 3rd gear, I put the 2nd instead of the 4th gear :eek:

i've done the exact same thing... same rpm, same missed shift.

no damage... whew...

I highly doubt you had NO damage. Do a leakdown test, but that probably won't reveal too much unless you had some valve float.

Also, do a oil analysis to see if you have titanium chips in your oil - I would not be surprised. Then monitor the oil and see if it accelerates. You lose a retainer, you lose a vale, you lose engine, and in my case, the supercharger as well.

NSX was not made to handle 10K RPM.

..and what about your tuning? Is it setup so that the fuel drops off after 8500 RPM like mine? furthering the damage (not that adding fuel there would help, but taking fuel away and keeping timing high will accelerate wear).

In short, just because it "runs" and sounds "ok" does NOT mean that it there has been no dmage, and that a blown engine isn't coming to a NSX owner near you.

Do diagnosis, then get back to us. I'd also absolutely do a valve adjustement, which will also provide a datapoint.

11K RPM, wow!

I had that happen to me on my old 1998 Prelude and the engine was fine. It was a split second incident. I think the engine can take that as long as it's not a prolong or reoccurring practice.

The engine is fine, but I have a little hiss/whistle/wheezing in the transmission.
More the speed is hight, more the wheezing is acute.In neutral I don't have noise, so I think I have a problem with the differential or a bearing, I can record the sound if you want.

When I first got my car I also had a high pitch hiss as well. I am not sure what it was, but my transmission had a worn clutch and snap ring failure. Is your shifter loose? If so, it may be snap ring failure and that may explain why you miss shifted. If not, then maybe the hissing is the clutch. Either way, when I got both of those items fixed, the hissing went away.

I thought the REV limiter would cut the engine above 8k. Also You checked the Titanium Retainer. Im learning here. What do you mean.

Last edited:
I thought the REV limiter would cut the engine above 8k. Also You checked the Titanium Retainer. Im learning here. What do you mean.

The rev limiter stops the engine from accelerating past the 8,000 redline. This is a case of a mechanical over-rev where the engine is forced into higher rpms through a missed shift.

Consider that 3rd gear redlines (8K rpm) at 100 mph. Now consider dropping the transmission into 2nd gear at that speed as the OP did, if he indeed was at redline. Mechanically the car will push the engine to very high rpm and there's nothing your rev limiter can do about it.

Last edited:
GOT IT!!!! The faster you are going the higher the engine rpm would be pushed. I should have known that.lol I also assume he was talking about checking the Retainers not just one.

I don't think to have a problem with my snap ring.
I have a little honda bound, but nothing else

a movie :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKd9hCE1Rtw

IMG_2632.jpg

IMG_2635.jpg

IMG_2637.jpg

snapring.jpg

Last edited:
I think the engine can take that as long as it's not a prolong or reoccurring practice.

You got lucky or you didn't over rev that much!

The primary reason for damage on an over rev depends on if you have an interference design engine or not. On a severe over rev like the one the OP listed with valve springs that are not stiff enough you will get valve float. On a non interference design this is not an issue. On an interference design the pistons can hit and damage or bend the valves if the valves float. Most modern honda's I believe are intereference, hence the you got lucky part.

If your springs are stiffer then you can overrev and be less prone to valve float, which might be why the OP did not have any damage, as he had swapped his valve springs and retainers.

Barney (barn man) told me a story about over reving an engine - to around that same or maybe even higher and nothing was wrong. You're fine. Wouldn't worry bout it - JUST DON"T DO THAT EVER AGAIN ----lol! :biggrin:

Are you sure it's in your gear box? I'd email Larry Bastanza. He will answer. If you're in Tennessee or close - barn man is in Nashville and there is another great one in Raliegh. Check with 99NSX - John K. He knows him.

I can't check your video/sound at this time.

Hopefully all will be fine... tough engines, etc.

But from personal experience in the past with a similar ooops, not an NSX though.

1980 I was coming back from a quarter pitcher night in my 74 vette with a turbo 400 AT. A 69' Chevelle SS came along side on the Interstate. We both took off, I remember that my car should have shifted by 90 mph but hadn't, so without even looking down to verify, I assumed I was in D2 and not D, so I shifted forwared... into R, ouch, screech, pulled back immediately, Lots of smoke and no go. I remember the speedometer reading ~92 mph when I pulled that smooth move.

Needless to say the transmission was toast. So much for the money I saved on quarter pitchers (thank God those days are far behind me).

I had the dealship fix/replace the transmission. As far as I could tell everything was fine again. Except about two months later when I went to pass a semi on a two lane highway, I took it up to 90 mph to get around quickly, and heard a few clunking sounds, only to look out my rear view mirror to see a smoke and oil trail behind me. Once again, no go or as in spanish, nova.

It turned out my cam broke into 1" to 2" chunks and parts went out the bottom of my oil pan. The 90 mph shouldn't have been that much stress to break my cam, I don't think. But I suspect the smooth move of hitting R at more than 90 mph didn't help the cam any. It took a while for the engine to show the effects.

Hopefully your car will turn out fine, with no residuals . I know the NSX engine is much tougher than the L-48 of my 74 vette.

Like Tim mentioned above, run it by Larry B or one of the other NSX Prime expert mechanics.

Rod

I just did this exact same thing, when from 3rd to second already close to redline. God I hope I didn't do any damage, I'm crapping myself right now :frown: I hit the clutch right away so it revved crazy for about 1 second. After this happened I got a CEL 42 O2 sensor heater .

Grief shift alright :frown::frown:

I just did this exact same thing, when from 3rd to second already close to redline. God I hope I didn't do any damage, I'm crapping myself right now :frown: I hit the clutch right away so it revved crazy for about 1 second. After this happened I got a CEL 42 O2 sensor heater .

Grief shift alright :frown::frown:

Money shift! Any loss in power? If so take it to a mechanic and do a compression check.

Back