• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

11000rpm on my NSX Engine

Money shift! Any loss in power? If so take it to a mechanic and do a compression check.

Yeah there was a loss in power but I'm hoping its more to do with the blown O2 ,, I hope :mad:
I have a compression tester , I'd better give it a test. A leakdown test may be more benificial.

Last edited:
I just did this exact same thing, when from 3rd to second already close to redline. God I hope I didn't do any damage, I'm crapping myself right now :frown: I hit the clutch right away so it revved crazy for about 1 second. After this happened I got a CEL 42 O2 sensor heater .

Grief shift alright :frown::frown:

Can I ask how you might have done this? What is your technique when shifting? How do you hold the shifter? How do go from third to second when aiming at fourth?

I want to know so we can discuss improving all our techniques so we don't ever make this mistake.

5 spd or 6 spd?

Thanks

Can I ask how you might have done this? What is your technique when shifting? How do you hold the shifter? How do go from third to second when aiming at fourth?

I want to know so we can discuss improving all our techniques so we don't ever make this mistake.

5 spd or 6 spd?

On several occasions I've gone 5 - 4, instead of 6 in my converted 6spd. Basically the same motion but on each occasion I have felt unsure and released the clutch a little slower to let the engine tell me by picking up or slowing down.

Even in "spirited" acceleration if I wasn't 100% positive I would not pull the trigger. But I can certainly understand "how" it happens.

5 spd or 6 spd?

Thanks

Being stupid and racing a v8 GT falcon that was egging me on , a heat of the moment stupid mistake in shifting :redface:
I won though :biggrin:
It was interesting though as we were neck and neck until vtec came in and he just ran out of steam the NSX just kept going into the distance.

I have a 5 speed

Being stupid and racing a v8 GT falcon that was egging me on , a heat of the moment stupid mistake in shifting :redface:
It was interesting though as we were neck and neck until vtec came in and he just ran out of steam the NSX just kept going into the distance.

I have a 5 speed

Here are some tips to help always select the correct gear (comments for my frame of reference: left-hand drive):

When upshifting 1-2, 3-4, 5-6: hold the shifter knob from the top. Have the top of the knob just touching your palm, right at the base of the fingers. Use your fingers at the front side of the knob, and pull straight back.

When upshifting 2-3, 4-5, use an open hand, thumbs and fingers pointing straight up, the back of the shift knob in the palm. Imagine "aiming" the shifter toward the right-front headlight. Most tranmissions these days, NSX included, have the linkages spring-loaded so that the right gear will be selected. There's little reason to move the shifter out of second or fourth and have to consciously move it right, although this isn't always true of 4-5 shift; some cars I've driven have had 5th a good ways to the right of 4th.

When downshifting 6-5, 4-3, or 2-1, same open palm method, but "aim" straight forward.

When downshifting 5-4 or 3-2, hold the shifter as I describe above for 1-2 upshift, but pull the shifter down toward the the left-rear taillight. Again, there's no reason to pull out of the current gear and move the shifter left; doing so on a 5-4 downshift might grab 2nd.

DO NOT hold the shifter with a closed fist. DO NOT hold the shifter with thumb up and fingers wrapped around the knob.

Try getting in the habit of finessing the shifter in this way and you'll be sure to miss fewer shifts and almost never grab the wrong gear.

Of course, jamming the gears is not a good thing; to finish first you must first finish. :)

If you do end up missing a gear and get out of synch with the sub-conscious method I describe above, DON'T grab a gear and let the clutch out. Find a suitable "reference point", depending on speed. Second and 5th are easy to find: 2nd is all the way left and down; 5th is all the way right and up. Hard to miss these two solid "home" points. I usually use 2nd or 5th if I'm lost and end up in neutral. If I need 3rd, for instance, I'll find 2nd or 5th, depending on speed again, and go through the gearbox to find 3rd.

I ALWAYS go through the gearbox, never skip a gear. (I know this has been debated here many times). I've been driving sticks 35+ years, nearly a million miles both on the street and on track, and I've never over-rev'd an engine on a downshift unless I got sloppy and failed to use the technique I describe above (and at that only once ever that I can remember).

Of course, certain cars have idiosyncracies that require adjusting. For instance, in my Mazdaspeed6 (my son's, too, and any Mazdaspeed3 I've driven), I have to turn my hand over to grab 6th because its natural tendency when I pull back to upshift from 5th is to grab 4th. Adjust as necessary depending on the car you're driving.

Comments welcome.

Last edited:

I have a 5 speed

While there are moments where this would also apply to me, my, and most people's reaction can only be explained by this.

Attachments

• DoubleFacePalm.jpg
    DoubleFacePalm.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 80
This stuff happens all the time in road racing.
Wheel to wheel, surrounded by cars, looking simultaneously in the mirrors, peripherally, and up the track.
This is one reason among many that I chose a Formula Mazda; Rotary engine.
Miss a shift like this and you get embarrassed and loose a spot.
Do it in a piston engined Formula Ford and; Kablammo.
Put it on the trailer and head home.
Get out the checkbook.

Try this solution :biggrin:

SequentialShifter.jpg

thats pretty interesting, but where is the fun in manual lol. I had a similar thing happen to me racing a v8 mustang. He thought he had me till vtec. I love vtec. But my problem was from fifth to fourth then way too soon to third....i think i was at like 140 in fifth, then down to like 115 or so in fourth then almost immeditely into 3rd at 100 but very quickly took it out and back to fourth before the clutch could grab i think. The engine sounded sweet for those few mills seconds it was about to over rev.

I have yet to do this, but I also have the stock shifter at stock height.

Is it easier to accidentally do this on those cars that have installed shorter sport shifters?

Are people sometimes still doing this with the stock stick?

Back