• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

19 and20?

Is there anyone running 19s on the front and 20s on the back? is that possible? the reason i ask is cause in the online autotrader there is a 95 nsxt in cali with 19/20 combo...but it looks to me that it is 18/19..I called to find out what the name of the wheels are but they dont know much and said the car wouldnt be there for a couple more days. Any advice would be much appreciated

Did you ever get your car?
I think you were the person I talked with about your Mustang getting stolen?

Just curious how it turned out.
smile.gif

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

I'd also like to hear any replies. A guy in australia is running '20's (lowenhart ld1). I'd like any info on size's, tyres, rubbing problems etc, ta.

[This message has been edited by ajnsx (edited 19 February 2003).]

The yellow NSX from A&L Team, Supercharged, have not a combo 18/20 with Enkei wheels ?

Not sure..

OK, this has to stop, those wheels are simply too big! I used to drive a grain truck with 20" wheels back in college. I'm not
just a grumpy old man ( old, maybe) but
this trend has to stop and I hereby, place a wheel diameter moratorium on the NSX: 18"
rear and 17" front. Note that there must be a size differential: back>front. Thanks, I feel better!

Give it up, JimK. It's of no use. After reading this stuff for several years now, I'm convinced that there's a segment that simply will not rest until they've taken something too far, then taken it one notch further, trashing a wonderful car in the process. I think it's something genetic, but I pray it doesn't become dominant. How anyone could look at those magnificent, expensive aluminum forgings in the suspension of this car, and then bolt a ton of weight to the hubs is beyond reason. To paraphrase something in a recent post I read: '...some people just buy the car because it's cool'. Sadly, I think that's true. I'm almost sorry the car IS so cool, as otherwise they might stick to screwing up lesser cars. I love Civics too, but it REALLY hurts me to see an NSX compromised thusly.

Now I feel better too...but believe me, it won't help.

- Richard

hi neonsx, yes im from australia but now residing in Japan (im buying a nsx here and privately importing to oz eventually). God forbid, im modifying it too. which is what im currently doing now, sourcing bodkykit parts.
If you're not into the modified car scene then you missed 3 modified nsx's that i have seen. The one with '20s is from melbourne a black automatic with a hideous (imo) bodykit.
A yellow 'alledgedly' type r with work wheels has been doing the show scene in Adelaide for the last 3years or so. www.autosalon.org

As for sounding like a grumpy old man Jimk you do! Remember when good 'ol rock 'n roll was deemed subversive and Elvis was the devil incarnate. If theres no progression you become stagnate/irrelevant. People change, tastes change. Be careful you dont become a synonym for dinosaur
wink.gif
I like to modify, i have my reasons and i dont apologise for it!
biggrin.gif

end rant
wink.gif

Originally posted by ajnsx:
hi neonsx, yes im from australia but now residing in Japan (im buying a nsx here and privately importing to oz eventually). God forbid, im modifying it too. which is what im currently doing now, sourcing bodkykit parts.
If you're not into the modified car scene then you missed 3 modified nsx's that i have seen. The one with '20s is from melbourne a black automatic with a hideous (imo) bodykit.
A yellow 'alledgedly' type r with work wheels has been doing the show scene in Adelaide for the last 3years or so. www.autosalon.org

hey ajnsx,
I'm not into the modding scene, but thanx for that link... i noticed there's a show in Melb 12/Aug/03. i might consider going if it isn't overpriced and there's a decent display of NSX's there.
smile.gif

i'd be really interested to hear more about the cost/complications of importing to Oz from japan ... my email address is in my profile.

Bravo! to Jim and Richard.
wink.gif

This has nothing to do with being anti-modding or being an old timer. It has to do with performance and taking things to useless extremes. If putting 19/20 inch wheels made a performance difference, I'd understand. If you were tracking your car and wanted to install a big ass wing, I might understand.

Of course, it's your car (or in most cases, the bank's car) and you're free to mod it however you like...but it's also reasonable to expect a few of us to politely make some comments.

To take such a finely balanced performance car and saddle it with so much unsprung weight is just silly; whether your 25 or 55.

PS: An observation... This is one reason why Honda will never be able to position the NSX up there with the likes of Porsche, Ferrari, etc.

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 25 February 2003).]

Originally posted by Jimbo:
...PS: An observation... This is one reason why Honda will never be able to position the NSX up there with the likes of Porsche, Ferrari, etc.

Jimbo, can you elaborate? I don't quite understand your comment. Are you saying the NSX won't be put up there with Porsche because nobody modifies their Porsche? Again, please clarify

------------------
'91 Black/Black
Lowered 17/18 Wheels

[This message has been edited by Michigan NSX (edited 25 February 2003).]

Michigan: While he's thinking about that, allow me to pose a question that occurred to me as I considered things. I'd rather not use Porsche as a reference because their overall production numbers are so high. I'll use Ferrari (models contemporary with the NSX), as a supplier of more limited-production machinery. I've never hung out with any Ferrari owners, so I'm curious:

As a percentage of owners of both new and used examples of the car(s), would you think that Ferrari or NSX owners are more likely to make substantive modifications to their cars, and to what would you attribute that answer?

By "substantive", I'm referring to quasi-permanent appearance changes (which excludes wheels, the original topic of this discussion), or non-factory performance-related changes. For that matter, I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts on that.

Richard
'93 Blk/Blk

I know if I ever got a 308/328 or (please, please, please) and 512BB the FIRST thing I would do would be to put modern wheels and tires on it.

That might not have answered your question but at least I got to pretend (if only for a minute) that I had a Berlinetta Boxer
wink.gif

------------------
'91 Black/Black
Lowered 17/18 Wheels

Are you saying the NSX won't be put up there with Porsche because nobody modifies their Porsche?

Nope. I'm not saying that at all.

I guess I'm saying that the current "import scene" of which Honda is a focal point therein, puts the NSX into a different position than other supercars.

hi jimbo. i do disagree as age usually dictates fashion and trends. Most of the guys here are against non-performance related mods as indicated by a few comments on this thread. Which is fine of course, but the ORIGINAL question hasnt been answered and a discourse has begun on whether or not its useless to put larger wheels on a car. She hasnt stated performance or aesthetic wise. Although maybe its part of her consideration... Ive noticed when people bag the nsx for outright power, people note its not just about performance, but when someone one wants to aesthetically enhance their car its bad because of the performance they will lose. for me the car is beautifully designed, exotic to me, fantastic build quality and its a honda, i pamper my cars, im into the show scene so it will never be raced, so performance is not an issue, to me '20s are not a useless extreme. I find a type-r with no comfort features to go 1 or 2 seconds faster around a track i'll never race a useless extreme! Your use of the words useless extreme is very negative and anti-modding. The younger crowd it seems (as i am) are into this type of scene, so it does seem that age plays a part of it. Go around the hot import night shows-youth orientated i would say
wink.gif
Here in Japan ferraris, porsches, lamborghinis are being modded in the same vein as younger owners can afford higher price ranging cars. The ethos of mod-groups now are applying to many cars regardless of price bracket! variety makes life interesting
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

aj,

I don't think my term of "useless extreme" is anti-modding at all.

I look at PD Cunningham's NSX and see it has been heavily modded for a specific purpose. He has 18" wheels all around, btw.

There's a lot of guys here who heavily mod their cars for one reason or the other and that's fine. I too have changed the wheels on my NSX because I like the larger size.

You mentioned the Type-R's lack of comfort features being a "useless extreme" for you and that's fine. If you never plan to track the car it's completely understandable.

However, I think the point here is that there's real practical driveability and functional issues that arise when you try to put excessively large wheels on a car. I guess if it's strictly a show car then it really doesn't matter, though.

I think you're making some faulty assumptions about age too. I happen to embrace the import scene and enjoy a variety of automotive styles and tastes. For example, I personally find the more subtle JDM styling to be more my cup of tea...but I also like certain Corvettes and vintage cars too. But in every little subculture, there's always the ones who will push it to a useless extreme. How about 21 and 22 inch wheels on a NSX? Where does it stop?

And let me also add that I like wild, interesting cars too. One of the coolest cars I've seen lately was a rear-engined VTEC Del Sol Si. It was obviously heavily modded, but it was tastefully done. 17 inch wheels if I remember correctly.

I think part of the reaction is due to the fact that NSX was such designed as such a purpose-built car. We're not talking about modding some Civic or Astro van here. There's many vehicles that can be thought of as blank slates for someone to customize and to make their own statement. But at what point does it just become weird?

We can accept a 63 Chevy Lowrider with airbags and fancy hydraulics but who would do that to 360 Modena?

Since the NSX was designed with obvious F1-style/roadcourse racing sensibilities, I think it's natural for most NSX enthusiasts to question mods that are outside of the original design intent of the car.

But what do I know....I'm over 35.
wink.gif

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
1976 Honda Accord 5 spd, 3 door Blue/Blue
1977 Honda Accord - Custom - Under Construction
2003 MINI Cooper S - On Order - All Black
1986 Chevy Suburban
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 26 February 2003).]

thanks for your reply jimbo. its nice to have a debate without it turning into name calling as 99percent of most forums!I don't think my term of "useless extreme" is anti-modding at all.

"I don't think my term of "useless extreme" is anti-modding at all."

Yes youre right, but it is a negative view towards mods you think are "useless" but others enjoy regardless of practicality!

"I look at PD Cunningham's NSX and see it has been heavily modded for a specific purpose. He has 18" wheels all around, btw."

I dont know of this car can i have a picture? 18inch wheels in my little subculture are sub-par now, so its not considered a heavy mod, but a required standard in the show scene.

"There's a lot of guys here who heavily mod their cars for one reason or the other and that's fine. I too have changed the wheels on my NSX because I like the larger size."

Again its a contentious debate to what heavy modding is, changing wheels for most people is a comestic decision over a purely performanced based one, c'mon be honest and again what LOOKS better is open to debate. I remeber when anything higher than 17 was a waste of time, now its 18 etc etc.

"You mentioned the Type-R's lack of comfort features being a "useless extreme" for you and that's fine. If you never plan to track the car it's completely understandable."

i mentioned this as an example that 'useless extreme' is a bit harsh, i would prefer not suitable for my own personal application, then it doesnt sound like a put down
wink.gif

"However, I think the point here is that there's real practical driveability and functional issues that arise when you try to put excessively large wheels on a car. I guess if it's strictly a show car then it really doesn't matter, though."

Again times change as to what excessively large wheels are, to me 20's are enough, five years ago i would have had said seventeen. Look at car makers and diameter changes, new prototypes are arriving on '20s the holden ute in oz comes out on '19s standard! pratical for a ute? hell no! tailoring to a market? maybe. looks cool? definately
wink.gif
My point is many people never consider practicality, tyre wear/cost, rim susceptibilty to damage etc, they do it anyway.

I think you're making some faulty assumptions about age too. I happen to embrace the import scene and enjoy a variety of automotive styles and tastes. For example, I personally find the more subtle JDM styling to be more my cup of tea...but I also like certain Corvettes and vintage cars too. But in every little subculture, there's always the ones who will push it to a useless extreme. How about 21 and 22 inch wheels on a NSX? Where does it stop?

Here, im not making faulty assumptions. I am giving you an anecdotal viewpoint. The import scene in Australia is from 8-35, the target for magazines on import culture www.fastfours.com.au & www.hot4s.com is 15-35. I think you embrace the PEFORMANCE side of the import scene no doubt, but remember this is only part of it. Do you listen to r&b and hip hop, do you live the lifestyle, wear the clothes, engage in the hip discourse, go cruising in groups, street race, have a huge stereo,interior retrim crazy bodykit, attend all the nightclub events at hot import night events? or similar? eg www.lsexpo.com Age is definately a factor to what is cool and in, and what is acceptable to that particular group. There is a devide between the performance and aesthetic people, they each have their own sub-cultures also. There are a lot of more mature (agewise) guys here that see all the above as pointless even "useless extremes" different demographic different AGE group.
I love corvettes and vintage cars to, ive always wanted a '69 mustang on '20s
(j/k) I agree that there will always be one or 30 people that push sensibility and good taste, but thats how taste goes. One person does it well 20 do it badly, thats why we have quality cars and er less quality cars

And let me also add that I like wild, interesting cars too. One of the coolest cars I've seen lately was a rear-engined VTEC Del Sol Si. It was obviously heavily modded, but it was tastefully done. 17 inch wheels if I remember correctly.

Again above wild and interesting because its performance orientated, i admire the technical feat to do that, and it was tastefully done but it wasnt truly wild for me. The white 92-96 crx here in Japan your talking about? www.summernats.com.au now thats wild
wink.gif
neonsx should Know about that show.

"I think part of the reaction is due to the fact that NSX was such designed as such a purpose-built car. We're not talking about modding some Civic or Astro van here. There's many vehicles that can be thought of as blank slates for someone to customize and to make their own statement. But at what point does it just become weird?"

This i understand, but every car is purpose built, the 'some civic' should be much more impressive modded then because it wasnt designed for the same purpose as the nsx, so if it can tear the NSX apart on a drag strip does that mean its better? As far as blank slates go all cars are as such thats why many have optional extras. The nsx especially in Japan is the perfect blank slate to create my own statement. You have to agree there!
wink.gif
Careful with the 'some civic' thing though, you may come across as elitist and we all know only viper/ferrari owners do that
wink.gif
(JOKE) What point does it become weird? good taste/bad taste majority rule?

"We can accept a 63 Chevy Lowrider with airbags and fancy hydraulics but who would do that to 360 Modena?"

Its been done to a merc (ahem shaquille 'o neil) give it time

"Since the NSX was designed with obvious F1-style/roadcourse racing sensibilities, I think it's natural for most NSX enthusiasts to question mods that are outside of the original design intent of the car."

Over in America i guess your right, im a minority, but i like it that way
biggrin.gif

"But what do I know....I'm over 35"

You just have a diferent ideology, and you know a hell of a lot more about NSX's than i do, im looking forward to picking your brains for the answers. I want performance for my NSX too, it just not top priority

My whole point at the end of it all, was lets not deride someone over an innocent question because its not to our taste. By the way nice to meet you Jimbo
smile.gif

thanks for your reply jimbo. its nice to have a debate without it turning into name calling as 99percent of most forums!I don't think my term of "useless extreme" is anti-modding at all.

"I don't think my term of "useless extreme" is anti-modding at all."

Yes youre right, but it is a negative view towards mods you think are "useless" but others enjoy regardless of practicality!

"I look at PD Cunningham's NSX and see it has been heavily modded for a specific purpose. He has 18" wheels all around, btw."

I dont know of this car can i have a picture? 18inch wheels in my little subculture are sub-par now, so its not considered a heavy mod, but a required standard in the show scene.

"There's a lot of guys here who heavily mod their cars for one reason or the other and that's fine. I too have changed the wheels on my NSX because I like the larger size."

Again its a contentious debate to what heavy modding is, changing wheels for most people is a comestic decision over a purely performanced based one, c'mon be honest, and again what LOOKS better is open to debate. I remember when anything higher than 17 was a waste of time, now its 18 etc etc.

"You mentioned the Type-R's lack of comfort features being a "useless extreme" for you and that's fine. If you never plan to track the car it's completely understandable."

i mentioned this as an example that 'useless extreme' is a bit harsh, i would prefer not suitable for my own personal application, then it doesnt sound like a put down
wink.gif

"However, I think the point here is that there's real practical driveability and functional issues that arise when you try to put excessively large wheels on a car. I guess if it's strictly a show car then it really doesn't matter, though."

Again times change as to what excessively large wheels are, to me 20's are enough, five years ago i would have had said seventeen. Look at car makers and diameter changes, new prototypes are arriving on '20s the holden ute in oz comes out on '19s standard! pratical for a ute? hell no! tailoring to a market? maybe. looks cool? definately
wink.gif
My point is many people never consider practicality, tyre wear/cost, rim susceptibilty to damage etc, they do it anyway.

Here, im not making faulty assumptions. I am giving you an anecdotal viewpoint. The import scene in Australia is from 8-35, the target for magazines on import culture www.fastfours.com.au & www.hot4s.com is 15-35. I think you embrace the PEFORMANCE side of the import scene no doubt, but remember this is only part of it. Do you listen to r&b and hip hop, do you live the lifestyle, wear the clothes, engage in the hip discourse, go cruising in groups, street race, have a huge stereo,interior retrim crazy bodykit, attend all the nightclub events at hot import night events? or similar? eg www.lsexpo.com Age is definately a factor to what is cool and in, and what is acceptable to that particular group. There is a devide between the performance and aesthetic people, they each have their own sub-cultures also. There are a lot of more mature (agewise) guys here that see all the above as pointless even "useless extremes" different demographic different AGE group.
I love corvettes and vintage cars to, ive always wanted a '69 mustang on '20s
(j/k) I agree that there will always be one or 30 people that push sensibility and good taste, but thats how taste goes. One person does it well 20 do it badly, thats why we have quality cars and er less quality cars

Again above wild and interesting because its performance orientated, i admire the technical feat to do that, and it was tastefully done but it wasnt truly wild for me. The white 92-96 crx here in Japan your talking about? www.summernats.com.au now thats wild
wink.gif
neonsx should Know about that show.

"I think part of the reaction is due to the fact that NSX was such designed as such a purpose-built car. We're not talking about modding some Civic or Astro van here. There's many vehicles that can be thought of as blank slates for someone to customize and to make their own statement. But at what point does it just become weird?"

This i understand, but every car is purpose built, the 'some civic' should be much more impressive modded then because it wasnt designed for the same purpose as the nsx, so if it can tear the NSX apart on a drag strip does that mean its better? As far as blank slates go all cars are as such thats why many have optional extras. The nsx especially in Japan is the perfect blank slate to create my own statement. You have to agree there!
wink.gif
Careful with the 'some civic' thing though, you may come across as elitist and we all know only viper/ferrari owners do that
wink.gif
(JOKE) What point does it become weird? good taste/bad taste majority rule?

"We can accept a 63 Chevy Lowrider with airbags and fancy hydraulics but who would do that to 360 Modena?"

Its been done to a merc (ahem shaquille 'o neil) give it time

"Since the NSX was designed with obvious F1-style/roadcourse racing sensibilities, I think it's natural for most NSX enthusiasts to question mods that are outside of the original design intent of the car."

Over in America i guess your right, im a minority, but i like it that way
biggrin.gif

"But what do I know....I'm over 35"

You just have a diferent ideology, and you know a hell of a lot more about NSX's than i do, im looking forward to picking your brains for the answers. I want performance for my NSX too, it just not top priority

My whole point at the end of it all, was lets not deride someone over an innocent question because its not to our taste. By the way nice to meet you Jimbo
smile.gif

Originally posted by rrwildman:
As a percentage of owners of both new and used examples of the car(s), would you think that Ferrari or NSX owners are more likely to make substantive modifications to their cars, and to what would you attribute that answer?

By "substantive", I'm referring to quasi-permanent appearance changes (which excludes wheels, the original topic of this discussion), or non-factory performance-related changes. For that matter, I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts on that.

The percentage of NSX owners in North America who make quasi-permanent appearance changes other than wheels is extremely small. Based on the NSXs that have attended the last few NSXPOs, it is under 5 percent - and, since the NSX enthusiast (who is more likely to do mods than the owner who sees it as merely nice-looking transportation) is overrepresented at NSXPO, it is probably even smaller among the overall NSX population.

The percentage of NSX owners who make non-factory performance changes is higher - but determining that percentage depends on what changes qualify. Do you count among such owners those who merely use aftermarket brake pads or non-OEM tires? What about "light" mods such as an aftermarket exhaust? Or do you only count forced induction and similar changes?

While I am not intimately familiar with the Ferrari crowd, I have no reason to believe that their percentages of modders would be significantly different from those for the NSX, however you define the mods. I know that a significant (i.e. non-zero) number of Ferrari owners do mod their cars with Tubi exhausts, brake pads, etc. I don't know if there are forced induction options for the various Ferrari models but it wouldn't surprise me.

boy did you guys get off on a tangent! All I simply wanted to know is it possible cause i saw a car in the AT that claimed to have that said combo...the nsx is an impressive looking car..but WAY underpowered..In my mind it is pointless to performance modify a car that cant be fast unless you spend BIG bucks...Its simply not practical..but to inhance its appearance...to me, is practical...I think it is a waste of time to modify a 110 hp civic....spend 3 grand and now you have a 210 hp civic...Your still gonna get dusted by just about anything that has balls(ie a v8)..and you wasted 3 grand..back to the original thought....Is a 19 20 combo too much? Maybe...but i would like to see some pictures so i can make the judgement myself..I dont want to overdo it...but if the said combo looks good and is tastefully done...Im there...

[This message has been edited by girlhound (edited 27 February 2003).]

Originally posted by girlhound:
boy did you guys get off on a tangent!

Originally posted by girlhound:
the nsx is an impressive looking car..but WAY underpowered..In my mind it is pointless to performance modify a car that cant be fast unless you spend BIG bucks...

I thought you wanted to talk about oversized wheels, which have nothing to do with performance modifications or whether a car is underpowered. Stop getting off on a tangent!

Even thou Im struggling to afford some nice 17/18's, mayyyyybe even some 18/19's if Im lucky, I would also like to see pictures if anyone has 19/20 setup!!
biggrin.gif

Z

Back