• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1992 NSX Automatic Transmission Fluid

I just purchased a 1992 Acura NSX with an automatic transmission. I am in the process of changing fluids and other mechanical components such as the timing belt and water pump because I did not get any type of records of maintenance.

The service manual says that the ATF used is Honda Premium Formula Automatic Transmission Fluid or an equivalent DEXRON II. I want to stick with Honda fluids but I can't find the Honda Premium Formula Automatic Transmission Fluid. All I find is the new Honda Automatic Transmission Fluid ATF DW-1 .

Does anyone know if the Honda DW-1 fluid is compatible with the older fluid?

DW-1 is compatible with the older transmissions that original called for Honda premium and Z1. You don't want to use other branded fluids as it can and will cause problems with the shift quality.

I have changed 3.9 quarts on my NSX and it is shifting better. The old fluid was brown. I will changed it two to three more times. I used Honda DW-1 fluid.

I have changed 3.9 quarts on my NSX and it is shifting better. The old fluid was brown. I will changed it two to three more times. I used Honda DW-1 fluid.
Changing the fluid can greatly improve shift quality.
When we used to get harsh 1-2 or 2-3 shifts with any of the older Honda/Acura auto trans, changing the fluid a couple times would bring the quality of the shift back to like new most of the time.

Back