• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1997 Clutch Replacement

I just purchased stock OEM clutch parts from a website - at a very good price (less than $500 delivered). Now, who in Houston can do the work? I seem to be somewhat limited to the Acura Dealers - John Eagle or Southwest, who both seem hell-bent on replacing the flywheel before they even open it up, burnt or not, with less than 32,000 miles on the car (blame it on slip-clutching in 1st - my bad). As well, bringing in my own parts means no guarantee, even though the parts are exactly the same as they would provide themselves, but at half the cost to me. I guess I'm trimming their profile margin, despite a labor quote of $1200, whether they do the work in 6 hours or 12.

Anyone know of a reputable shop in the Houston area who has actually done a clutch replacement, with somewhat reasonable labor rates? I have a quote from a shop in San Antonio (HNA Automotive) for a little over $500, but I'd rather have it done here than drive the 3 hours each way (yes, it's slipping but still perfectly driveable). I've talked to C&B here, but as yet haven't received a final estimate, but I suspect they'll probably come in near the Acura dealers.

I appreciate any advice y'all can provide. Thanks.

slarge,

we try to have get togethers here in H-Town once a month..u should come out next time, join the fun and meet up with everyone!!

Ricky

Wheelman(Ricky) and Stormrider(Tommy) are right, you should give Brad a call at AutoLogic(713.516.2081). He has pulled the transmission out of my car several times. And it's no secret, his prices can't be beat(locally at least). As stated on his website, a NSX clutch job goes for $650. And he know's what he's doing. With my car alone, he has plenty of experience! :D inside joke...

And they are also right about meeting up with us. We like to get together ever so often. We are planning a lunch/picnic soon at Bear Creek park. Hope to meet you...

Regards,
- Z

here's AutoLogic:

Attachments

• zzzzz.jpg
    zzzzz.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 243
1997 Clutch

Thanks everyone for the input! I will definitely go to Brad for the work - I've been screwed once too often by the dealers.

Once I get her back on the road, hopefully soon, the get-togethers sound great, and I live just up the road from Bear Creek so count me in.

SL

Re: 1997 Clutch

slarge said:
the get-togethers sound great, and I live just up the road from Bear Creek so count me in.

SL

Hey SL, do you have a red NSX with five star wheels(maybe Racing Hart M5's)? We were at Bear Creek park a few weeks ago, and we kept seeing this red NSX driving around. Just curious...

Take care,
- Z

LeftLane said:
Ditto the rec on Autologic - I've never heard of HNA in San Antonio, and I live here.

Good luck!

Haven't heard of HnA Automotive? :confused: Then where are you getting your service done? You might want to check out the ad on p.331 of the yellow pages. HnA has one of the two NSX techs in town. They also have a 2/24 warranty on parts and labor they provide. You can also check out HNAParts.com.

Hope this helps if you didn't know.:cool:

1997 Clutch Replaced!

My big problem with HNA is they wouldn't warranty the work if I brought in my own parts, which you can purchase yourself on the internet (Buy-a-Clutch.com) for about 60% of list. HNA wouldn't budge off the list price, claiming this is where they made a chunk of their profit.

Brad at AutoLogic installed my own parts, even swapping out a light-weight performance flywheel he had for another customer when it turned out my own was too damaged (I reimbursed him for a new one with shipping - still only a third of what Acura wanted for their own). And AutoLogic stands by their work.

The car is now simply amazing - even better than she felt when I bought her 6 years ago, at an apparently not-so slightly used 10,500 miles. All I can say is Thanks to y'all for your earlier recommendation. When this clutch goes (hopefully in 10+ years and 50,000+ miles) I just hope that Brad is still around. And for you NSX drivers in San Antonio - it may be worth your while to head to Houston!

I typed in the Buy-a-clutch.com name and it sent me to dialaclutch.com. Is this the site you are talking about? When I looked for NSX clutch, it just showed me a custom kevlar clutch, not an OE clutch. :confused:
A lot of shops, that I have dealt with, won't warranty their work with someone else's parts. I am glad your are happy with the work you received. I just find it hard to believe that if the clutch breaks, that Brad would be willing to warranty the work and replace it for free.

:cool:

Clutch Part Link

try 'www.buyaclutch.com'. It's all there.

The parts are OEM, even show up with the Honda sticker on the box. Why would a shop not warranty the work, if they're installing spec parts? HNA just wanted to make more money off me (over $300 difference) - ditto with the local Acura dealers.

It was a no-brainer in the end. And the right choice, as another shop would have probably not had a fllywheel handy, which means I would have been stuck with the $2000 OEM option.

Re: Clutch Part Link

slarge said:
The parts are OEM, even show up with the Honda sticker on the box. Why would a shop not warranty the work, if they're installing spec parts?

I probably wouldn't be far off from thinking that if your clutch had a problem and went bad, you are going to be paying for the install work again. No quality shop in their right mind would redo the labor if a part went bad that they shouldn't be accountable for. I would guess that Brad stands behind his labor work, so as long as the tranny doesn't fall out, he shouldn't have a problem. :) This is something you would find at most shops and should not be considered a full warranty.

slarge said:
And the right choice, as another shop would have probably not had a fllywheel handy, which means I would have been stuck with the $2000 OEM option.

I hope that other customer didn't mind being passed over so that their parts could be used on another car. :rolleyes:

Back