• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2 > 1?

Depends who you are. Investor? or Driving enthusiast?

Enthusiast would want a better car, and 100 may be able to buy a "better" car for enthusiastic driving.
Investor might want two chances at making a "bet" that they won't lose their money(or as much) rather than one chance.

Would I rather have a Ferrari 360? Or instead a 2008-ish 911 and an NSX(very nice one at that).

Really tough call.

I like to think that we choose cars guided by passion more than pure profit.

I can trade tomorrow my rx7 and nsx and get a Mustang gt350.

Now, please do not focus on the mustang, that was just an example. There are a myriad of possible combinations.

What do primers prefer?

It is also a matter of dedicating "full love" to just one car. I guess the question could be is it better monogamy or polygamy? :)

2 if you have the room. if it's investment do what you like, you won't be driving the car anyway!

if it's to drive then 2, you get a choice and can change the driving experience/scene with each car. I have a NSX and a hotrod, different experience to drive, different public reactions, different people, different clubs, different scene!

with 1 high dollar one you'll be concious of the value and not enjoy the drive if you're worrying about chips, other cars, roads, weather, etc

plus with 2 you can always have fun if one is off the road for whatever reason!

I currently have five cars. My wife is always saying that we appear to well off because of them. I'm doing okay but I'm certainly not rich. With the exception of my NSX which I bought for 43k about six years ago the other cars are not particularly expensive. A friend of mine has a Toyota Tundra and a 4runner and the total for them is pretty much equal to or greater than all of my cars combined. As you know (because you have two cars already) you have to take care of them all (insurance, oil changes, inspections, maintenance etc etc). If that's a PIA for you then one car is the way to go. I like having a variety of vehicles to choose from. Three of the cars I have qualify for classic car insurance so they are very inexpensive to own (I couldn't swing it if I had to pay large insurance premiums). Let us know what you decide to do.

I do not think money plays a role here 50+50 = 100.
It really is not a matter of money or what people think, it is more - if you want - a philosophical approach.

My dad always had more than 1 "fun" car at the time. It would drive me crazy as I thought we could have one nicer car instead of 2. Sure enough I ended up the same way, but I am not sure it makes me feel better than havy only one in the garage.

I know, 1st world problems, but I was curious to hear from people that made the decision to stick with one car.

Is two better than one, or is one better than two? I'm a dollar and cents type of guy, so if the cost of ownership for two $50K vehicles overwhelms the cost of having one $100K car than I probably wouldn't do it. If it is a total wash, meaning insurance, maintenance, registrations/inspections, and the space two cars takes up as opposed to just one I would prefer to have the two. Same analogy, would I prefer one new Panigale R or a BMW S1000RR and a 1200GS.

A few months ago, on the websites of sister publications Classic Motorsports and Grassroots Motorsports, there was a discussion loosely surrounding the collector hobby and what makes a collector. I had a response ready but never posted it. I opined something similar to this:

When one has one play car, one focuses on that car: its history, modding, finding like-minded people, going to marque-related events, learning just about everything there is to know about it. It scratches the itch.

But, it is a very slippery slope when one obtains the SECOND toy. Suddenly, ANY car out there is fair game, and the itch gets much stronger. So while the collector has only one, it's focused and scoped narrowly. When the collector has two, the temptation grows larger, into sports cars, classics, muscle cars, and anything that ever held an attraction. Feel free to agree or disagree. :biggrin:

So, my warning: one toy is great. The second toy is the real "gateway drug". So, BEWARE! :biggrin: :biggrin: Your wallet may thank me.

clearly from the cost perspective having 2 cars is going to increase your carrying costs.....but the answer to the question has so many variables...if you want to make a poll I would rather have 1 car that is twice as expensive than two of equal total value.

It also depends if you have the time/money/effort to split between the 2. If you have 1 really nice car you can focus better on what you want to do with it. 2 cars I would find myself trying to decide which I would rather focus on which may lead to neglecting the other. Lets be honest, with 2 or more, you'll always have a favorite.

A few months ago, on the websites of sister publications Classic Motorsports and Grassroots Motorsports, there was a discussion loosely surrounding the collector hobby and what makes a collector. I had a response ready but never posted it. I opined something similar to this:

When one has one play car, one focuses on that car: its history, modding, finding like-minded people, going to marque-related events, learning just about everything there is to know about it. It scratches the itch.

But, it is a very slippery slope when one obtains the SECOND toy. Suddenly, ANY car out there is fair game, and the itch gets much stronger. So while the collector has only one, it's focused and scoped narrowly. When the collector has two, the temptation grows larger, into sports cars, classics, muscle cars, and anything that ever held an attraction. Feel free to agree or disagree. :biggrin:

So, my warning: one toy is great. The second toy is the real "gateway drug". So, BEWARE! :biggrin: :biggrin: Your wallet may thank me.

I've enjoyed my Honda based collection, even the routine things (washing, detailing & maintenance) are part of the enjoyment derived from ownership. I have no particular favorites, either by color or style. But I have to admit the oldest example intrigues me the most due to it's unique rawness. :smile:

Whoops.

CIXKykTh.jpg

Is two better than one, or is one better than two? I'm a dollar and cents type of guy, so if the cost of ownership for two $50K vehicles overwhelms the cost of having one $100K car than I probably wouldn't do it. If it is a total wash, meaning insurance, maintenance, registrations/inspections, and the space two cars takes up as opposed to just one I would prefer to have the two. Same analogy, would I prefer one new Panigale R or a BMW S1000RR and a 1200GS.

I'd have to go with the S1000RR and the GS. The best of both worlds and that Ducati maintenance.....Wow!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I've got three cars which are considered "collector" status cars (at least to my insurance company). Just today I was talking to a guy about buying his low mileage VW Corrado VR6. You're right.....I think I need rehab.

Last edited:
clearly from the cost perspective having 2 cars is going to increase your carrying costs.....but the answer to the question has so many variables...if you want to make a poll I would rather have 1 car that is twice as expensive than two of equal total value.

Me too. One is easier for me to love, afford, pay attention to, and just appreciate in general, be it car or girlfriend.

I would not be happy with just one car, no matter what it cost. I have three Hondas and they each serve a purpose for me.

2015 Honda Crosstour is for transporting my ElliptiGO, when I need space for stuff to go camping and/or when I need the higher clearance for dirt roads.

2007 S2000 is for the fun of driving and works for a daily when I don't need to use the Crosstour.

2005 NSX is for it's beauty and the fun of it's power compared to the S2000.

Me too. One is easier for me to love, afford, pay attention to, and just appreciate in general, be it car or girlfriend.

I think I made up my mind and I am going to keep only the NSX and putting my stock 1993 RX7 for sale. Or hibernation, one of the 2.

Of course I have a daily driver, it's the fantastic 2015 Accord touring.

.thats cause you like the hookah on the suv.....

Bogart.....................

If room, money and the frau allow, I think more is better. Vehicle variety is the spice of my life. Which one(s) to drive today? Boils down to "How do I feel?" and "What's the weather guesser saying today?" I know, my first world problem...I've learned to deal with it.

Not driving the RX7 much -> Put the car for sale -> Car sold -> Went on a drive before the guy came to pick up the car -> Canceled the sale....

Back