• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2 piece nsx rotors for oem calipers

SNDSOUL said:
I am quite aware of how bigger brakes will help, but seeing that I have driven my car less than 5000 miles in the 4 years that I have owned it, for me, they would just be for looks.

WOW! 4 years and less than 5000 miles! how did u enjoy your summer?:biggrin:

Looks like the BBK is done and for sale now. Anyone try it yet?

I might have get this for X-Mas if the Anytime exhaust isn't ready!

Regarding the two piece rotors, I can remember that a company offered these using Porsche rotors on a Corvette message board. They were initially sold as assembled and disassembled. However, they mentioned that in assembling, the finished product must be checked for run-out. With the Racing Brake design, they indicate that reversing the hats let them use the same rotor from side to side and that the rotors can be swapped from a 24mm to a 28mm size, depending on application. Are any special procedures recommended to insure that, reversing the rotor hats, or changing the rotor thickness, they run straight and true?

SDOOW, how many orders do you need to produce the open slot rotors?

Last edited:
DVDoughboy said:
I'm interested in seeing some feedback from those who have purchased this.

Has anyone even received their order? I had heard parts were pending in Customs without an estimated release date. :eek:

Ok people I apologize for not joining this thread sooner but I have just returned from an HSR race at Daytona and want to comment on this Racing Brake BBK setup as it seems my car was the test mule for this new kit. I logged over 4 hours and 300 miles of track time last weekend under RACE conditions and I can categorically say that this setup is fantastic! I installed this new kit myself in only a couple of hours for all four wheels and I was really impressed with the strength and manufacturing quality of both the brackets and the two-piece rotors. The factory two piston front and single rear calipers are more than up to the task with a strong solid pedal and zero fade! I was able to brake with just about any car out there save for the prototypes...i.e. Audi R8, Lola's, Riley & Scott..etc. I really have to thank Warren at Racingbrake as he has been great with all of help and support. I have the final race of the year in two weeks at Sebring and I can say that after the race weekend at Daytona that the brakes look ready for an entire full season still. Pad wear is great and the rotors show no wear or appearance of hairline cracks. Daytona is murder on a braking system as I have to slow from about 170 down to about 45 for turn one and I did this for over 85 laps last weekend. Any questions dont hesitiate to PM me.
Jerome

Oh and about those delays I too heard directly from Racingbrake that there are customs issues which are making their delivery date somewhat postponed but I have come to realize that this is a wisely conservative company and they do not like to rush products to market until they are ready and surpass OEM fitment and performance. They did however airfreight me one complete kit for fitment and test issues just in time for Daytona and they performed flawlessly!

Thnx for the review VintageracerNYC! It's comforting to know that the brakes performed flawlessly under racing conditions. What pads were you using may I ask? And what kind of fluid?

Thnx.

Henry.

Dear Henry,
Show me your new disc after install. My Project Mu 2 piece disc found small cracks after track use. I paid usd600 for front pairs and another usd600 for my rear seems truely wasted.
Henry

I hate to say this, but..... I TOLD YOU SO :biggrin:

Henry.

LingYuan said:
Dear Henry,
Show me your new disc after install. My Project Mu 2 piece disc found small cracks after track use. I paid usd600 for front pairs and another usd600 for my rear seems truely wasted.
Henry

Yes Hrant the new 12.7" two-piece with the 97+ calipers...I am using Hawk DTC-60 pads with Motul 600 fluid...zero fade and great modulation and bite....the pads are NOT suitable for the street however

VintageracerNYC said:
Yes Hrant the new 12.7" two-piece with the 97+ calipers...I am using Hawk DTC-60 pads with Motul 600 fluid...zero fade and great modulation and bite....the pads are NOT suitable for the street however

Hi Jerome,

Thanks for your personal update on the Racing Brake upgrade.

If I remember correctly, you had been using the original 1997+ upgrade from Racing Brake with their two-piece rotors before you switched to the new 324x28 and 330x23 rotor-sizes.
How do you think the 1997+ Racing Brake upgrade kit compares with this new larger rotor-kit ?? It might be interesting to know just how much difference just the larger rotors make since both kits are still using the standard OEM NSX-calipers ??
You are seriously racing your car, but if one would only have a few (say about 5-7) trackdays per year, which kit would you suggest.

Thanks for the quick response. I have the same question as MvM.

I have the first 2 piece RB 97+ template rotors front/rear made and after some 30 track days on them, it is about time I replace the fronts because they are down to their minimum thickness - and I had turned them once! The rears are fine. The rotors have survived some hard track driving and braking at a few 90+F ambient temp days. Minor hairlines but no cracks. Very impressed with the quality and durability - no OEM rotors would have lasted this long.

I already have a set of new 2 piece 97+ RB rotors for the front but was wondering if the upgrade would make much difference. I am sure the pad material has much to do with the performance so hopefully the same pads were used in Jerome's previous set up. Any cooling ducts? What rotor temps are you observing, still about 100-150F difference between front and rear?

TIA

Last edited:
Hi

How much better is the 97+ calipers compared to the 91+?

I am going for a BBK for looks, but would like better brakes than I have now with OEM front and back. Not sure if I am crazy enough to go Brembo/Stoptech or if I should just go for this BBK. I am flip flopping.

Regards

Ok I can only speak from my own experiences but what I can tell you is this...As long as a caliper has sufficient and even clamping forces without distortion or binding and it is able to hold a pad of a large enough surface material it will work just fine in all situations whether it be for racing, occasional track use or primarily for the street. The larger rotors are a definte step forward in performance to the smaller two piece rotors which I used before. The pads are the same so I do have a direct comparison. The larger rotor surface is able to dissipate heat better and distribute it over a greater surface area hence cooler brake temps. The kit also includes new brake lines which are extremely high quality as well. My brother races in my group with a Carrera RSR 3.0 liter with 996 Turbo brakes and 10" front and 12" rear slicks. I was right with him at all braking points and he is a semi pro driver with 25 years continous racing experience. In fact I outqualified him at Daytona and also beat him in the race ...for the very FIRST time...The new brakes gave me much needed confidence...and they really look great inside my 17" wheels!!!!!!!!!

martin said:
How much better is the 97+ calipers compared to the 91+?

Martin, the 97+ calipers are practically the same as the 1991-1996 ones.
Only difference is a slight difference in the diameter for the pistons. In 1997 the rear piston was increased from 42mm to 48mm and (if I remember correctly) the smaller piston in the front caliper was reduced from 36 to 34 mm. Other than that, they are AFAIK practically the same.

I believe VintageracerNYC is using the 1991 calipers. Apart from the weight (they are heavy) and the fact that not everyone likes the sliding-caliper arrangement there seems to be nothing wrong with the OEM calipers.
Which is nice to know of course.

Back